I actually listened to those Dr Dre Beats and was not impressed at all
Apr 8, 2009 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

milkweg

Banned
They had a demo display at Futureshop so I gave them a listen. I could see no volume control and there was one button to press to make it play very loud is all. You could also select between four different genres of music. ***, they were distorting just at the normal volume level so there was no point in even pressing the louder button. My DT990pro do not distort at that volume level so IMO these headphones are a sham at $350.00. What knid of idiots set up a demo display with the volume so loud the headphones distort?

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 18
I tried them at the Apple Store, and no distortion there. However, they seemed only decent for bright pop music. Anything like jazz or classical sounded completely crap.

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried them at the Apple Store, and no distortion there. However, they seemed only decent for bright pop music. Anything like jazz or classical sounded completely crap.

So basically any music that had complex passages and/or "layers" to the instruments and soundstage, yar?

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 18
Tried these the other day at a BestBuy near work. Didn't totally suck using the demo display they have going. Had me curious how they'd sound in a decent setup.

They are supremely comfortable! One of the most comfy cans I've ever worn. Perfect fit on my head. In that sense, they disappeared.

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 18
I saw the very same display at Best Buy, and my curiosity got the best of me. It was like there was a little mini kicker in there somewhere...not a particularly natural presentation. Oh, and it was also plenty loud without the "loud" button.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, what did you expect? They are Dr Dre's beats...
rolleyes.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ziplock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rolleyes.gif

Aaand here we go again.

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ziplock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aaand here we go again.

I think that came out wrong. I have nothing against the artist. My point is, Dr Dre had a pair of headphones made to highlight his style of music and surrounding genres. Why should these headphones sound good with anything else?

Apr 9, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #10 of 18
I heard them in the Apple display only. I didn't think they totally sucked either.

I'm not familar with any of Dr. Dre's musical productions or genres, but I think I'll give him some credit for making some headphones that I was expecting to hate (mainly because people seem so quick to diss them) but didn't. I thought they actually imaged fairly well, and were actually fairly tonally balanced. :O The treble could use some refinement but the vocals came though pretty clearly, the bass was rich and actually convincing with the limited materal I heard them with. I can imagine with a good source instead of a demo station or iPod, they might be quite decent (?)

Apr 9, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #11 of 18
I tried them about a month or 2 back @ Best Buy. They're decent for Hip-Hop/Rap music and anything that has a lot of bass. The Design is very eye catching and the noise isolation is good but I don't really like the big price tag and heavy bass.

Apr 9, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emooze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
milkweg, you might have had a damaged set due to too many people pressing the "louder" button.

And on the side, you can have your Beats custom colored for only $150 more! What a deal!!

Not worth it, IMO, but it's neat that they have the option, I'm a huge sucker for customization.
regular_smile .gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dC0m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried them about a month or 2 back @ Best Buy. They're decent for Hip-Hop/Rap music and anything that has a lot of bass. The Design is very eye catching and the noise isolation is good but I don't really like the big price tag and heavy bass.

Ok......

I've read from a number of people that bass is lacking (or not as much as expected) in these....

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #15 of 18
The first time I tried them was with a regular Apple Store demo iPod, and I thought that they sounded rather ok. It was when I brought my own iPod in with a variety of music beyond mainstream music that their abilities fell apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back