Htc One
Jun 25, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #346 of 533
I know it was mentioned a little previously in this thread, but I wasn't clear on what the solution should be for it.

There is an audible white noise/hiss when I'm using the One with headphones, and it makes it VERY fatiguing to listen for much more than an hour or so.  I work in a quiet office and I also occasionally listen to music on headphones in bed before sleeping, so in those settings the white noise stands out even more.  I also use/d a Sansa Clip, Nokia N9 and Nokia N86 as portable sources with the same music files, and did NOT have this issue on those sources.

I'm currently running stock Sense on the Dev Edition of the HTC One, using Westone 3s primarily with occasional Philips SHE3580s for headphones and using PowerAmp as my player.  I only consider myself a pseudo audiophile (use 320kbps mp3 files instead of flac, no DAC, very little understanding of terminology.) so even though I read through this thread and tried to search for a solution, I'm still not sure what/if there is a solution for it.

My preference would be to solve this on the software side, with a rom/mod/app, or any combination of them.  If that is not possible, what is the most portable hardware solution for it?  Are there any existing source of information for this situation?  Sorry if this is an often repeated issue.

Jun 25, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #347 of 533
Poweramp especially is supposedly a problem for several HTC One users:

http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/topic/4735-poor-sound-quality-on-htc-one/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2315767

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/htc-one-problems/

Quote:
I know it was mentioned a little previously in this thread, but I wasn't clear on what the solution should be for it.

There is an audible white noise/hiss when I'm using the One with headphones, and it makes it VERY fatiguing to listen for much more than an hour or so.  I work in a quiet office and I also occasionally listen to music on headphones in bed before sleeping, so in those settings the white noise stands out even more.  I also use/d a Sansa Clip, Nokia N9 and Nokia N86 as portable sources with the same music files, and did NOT have this issue on those sources.

I'm currently running stock Sense on the Dev Edition of the HTC One, using Westone 3s primarily with occasional Philips SHE3580s for headphones and using PowerAmp as my player.  I only consider myself a pseudo audiophile (use 320kbps mp3 files instead of flac, no DAC, very little understanding of terminology.) so even though I read through this thread and tried to search for a solution, I'm still not sure what/if there is a solution for it.

My preference would be to solve this on the software side, with a rom/mod/app, or any combination of them.  If that is not possible, what is the most portable hardware solution for it?  Are there any existing source of information for this situation?  Sorry if this is an often repeated issue.

Jun 25, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #348 of 533
Interesting, my GS4 is dead silent with my GR01. It's unfortunate that the One is this noisy. 

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #351 of 533
It is not powerful enough for either of my full sized headphones which are a Q701 and a modded T50rp. Both really require at least a moderately powerful amp. It sounds great with my Vsonic GR01 in ear monitors though. It sounds at least as good or better than the iPhone 4 it replaced. Using my GR01, I A/B'ed the GS4 alone against my E17(usb out of my laptop) and I could not tell any noticeable difference. So it sounds at least as good as an E17. It sounds neutral and transparent, with no hiss, and gets my GR01 plenty loud at under half volume.  

I have also tried two other IEM's that I own. Unfortunately, neither one suit my tastes anymore and I can't stand to listen to either, no matter what the source is. So the only thing I have really used extensively with the S4 is my GR01.  

The GS4 also works with my E17 as a USB DAC. So if I wanted to use my T50rp as a portable I have the option to do so. 
Quote:
How do you like the s4 with headphones? Have you tried several cans?

Jun 26, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #352 of 533
Quote:

Thanks for the reply and links!  It was slightly helpful.  I already had beats turned off, but switching to Neutron cut the hiss down by a LOT.  Enough so that I have to actively listen for it to hear it.  Everything on the HTC one sounds great, its wonderful as a portable source, especially now that I found an app that suits me better.

Jun 26, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #353 of 533
Having looked around, but it is hard to get it clear:

Are all HTC ONE users experience hiss in some way with sensitive cans??

I have not experienced any hiss at all on mine.

Jun 26, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #355 of 533
I have the HTC One and I'm also experiencing quite a loud hissing/background noise, using Fishcer audio dba mkii earphones. I'm also using Poweramp and until now didn't think it might be poweramp causing it but thinking about it, it has increased since I downloaded it. The problem is I like the equaliser options on Poweramp which the stock player doesn't give you.

To my ears, although the Htc One sounds decent it can't live with the Iphone 4 for sound quality. The iphone with all eq turned off sounded fantastic. Clean, no background noise, an engaging, detailed and powerful sound without being fatiguing. Loving the Htc One though, an awesome phone.

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #359 of 533
Quote:
Is there a micro usb to 3.5 stero connector for the HTC One? I did not see the answer to this in the previous posts.

Because such a thing wouldn't exist, usb is a data connection, 3.5mm jack purely audio, you can't mix one with the other it doesn't work like that with any device, ever........

You can take micro usb and plug it into a usb dac, and use the 3.5mm jack on the dac.

The dac would take the digital signal and convert it to analogue audio, hence the term dac, Digital to Analogue Converter.

Not been into audio long i take it?

Jun 29, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #360 of 533
Actually I have however not so much with the capabilities of the HTC One to an amp besides 3.5 to 3.5. It was late and I was specifically thinking of the HTC One wondering if there was a similar device like the Fiio L9 for the iPod which gives line out capabilities. I should have been more clear but thanks for your snark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back