HRT MicroStreamer
Jan 13, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #31 of 109
The line output of the microStreamer is a completely separate path from the headphone amplifier and is ultimately a much better choice for an external amplifier use.  The experience of StefanG is not unexpected at all.  The DAC and reconstruction filter of the line output of the microStreamer is only bettered by devices costing many times its price and I would strongly encourage any owner of the microStreamer to not make the mistake of assuming that the two paths are similar in character.

Kevin Halverson
CTO
High Resolution Technologies, LLC

Jan 14, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #32 of 109
Hi Kevin,

Wonderful to see the CTO of HRT following this forum!

In addition to my previous post: I do use the headphone output of the MicroStreamer to drive my power amp (Rotel RB-980BX).
Reason for that is that the headphone output is variable and the line out is not. (Connecting the line out directly to my power amp is not a very good idea :) )
I did compare the sound quality of directly driving my power amp with the quality when using the line out connected to my preamp. The difference was huge: the soundstage was so much clearer with the direct connection. I suppose this is due to my preamp, although I always regarded it as quite a nice preamp. I have built it myself and it consists of only 2 op27 opamps, a DACT input selector and an Alps Blue pot. (And is fed by a very stable power supply)

What I'm going to do next is to convert my preamp to a passive preamp: I need the input selector and volume control for my other sources, but when listening to the Microstreamer I can set the volume to max and let the Microstreamer control the volume. That way, only the DACT input selector and Alps pot (having no resistance in the signal path because it is set to max) are in the signal path.

I really wonder if using the line out connected to a good preamp will provide a better sound. And at what cost, because my current preamp is about equal to other good preamps I've listened to...

What an incredible device!

Cheers! Stefan.

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #33 of 109
StefanG,

In general, I don't follow this nor any other forum as it is simply too time consuming to do so.  Inasmuch as your questions are very specific to your situation, I would request that you correspond with me directly and I will be happy to assist you and address your specific situation.

I can be reached by email at: kevin@hirestech.com

Kevin Halverson
CTO
High Resolution Technologies, LLC

Jan 16, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #34 of 109
I personally didn't like the HRT MS.

I am having all kinds of issues when connecting with the mac.

Random loud pops and I hear slight buzzing in the background. It also randomly cuts out my left earbud and I have to unplug the MS and plug it back in to get it to behave again. It has done this a handful of times. I am returning it unfortunately.

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #35 of 109
I don't have experience with a Mac, but when I change the sample rate in Windows while playing, it starts inserting random pops. So maybe you have a sample rate mismatch on your Mac?

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #36 of 109
Have you updated the firmware? Tried a different USB port? I know one other person had a defective unit that was cutting out on one side; if you are happy with the sound, I'm sure they will exchange it for you.
I personally didn't like the HRT MS.

I am having all kinds of issues when connecting with the mac.

Random loud pops and I hear slight buzzing in the background. It also randomly cuts out my left earbud and I have to unplug the MS and plug it back in to get it to behave again. It has done this a handful of times. I am returning it unfortunately.

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #37 of 109
Have you updated the firmware? Tried a different USB port? I know one other person had a defective unit that was cutting out on one side; if you are happy with the sound, I'm sure they will exchange it for you.

I am returning it to Amazon, but I placed an order for a new one. I will give it the benefit since I enjoyed it when it actually worked properly.

My opinion of the SQ is probably a little more negatively influenced because I would be enjoying some music and very loud pops would happen that would kind of startle me and take me out from getting fully immersed in the music.

I am tempted to say that I got a defective unit. I hope the low hum in the background will not be present when I try the new one.

Jan 22, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #41 of 109
#_# Yeah for triple the price...sorry bout your wallet.

I had the pops too until I did the update; since then only once that I can remember.

Hello Gilly,

No I didn't. I returned both of them. I just got my Vamp Verza, no buzzing and the SQ seems better :).

Thanks!
Alan

Apr 5, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #44 of 109
Heard one of these little things today and was very impressed. It showed it's superiority over the audinst mx2 in more than a few ways.

There's always an answer here on headfi - I was experiencing the pops and clicks - and am sure the updated firmware would put it right. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back