HRT MicroStreamer
Mar 18, 2013 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 109

bobeau

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't believe a thread exists for this amazing device so I thought I'd create one.

First off, links to pro reviews:

http://positive-feedback.com/Issue65/microstreamer.htm
http://www.whathifi.com/review/hrt-microstreamer
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/hrt-microstreamer-pocket-rocket/

My own impressions:

I've had a DragonFly since last summer and a Meridian Explorer for a bit over a month.  I'm not good at reviews so I'll keep it succinct - I was never a big fan of the DF.  I found it overly warm and bloomy down low and going on over 6 mos of almost daily use my opinion hasn't changed much.  When others say it's tight/detailed/bright I don't hear that at all, and this is running a variety of IEMs out of it (TG334, GR07 MKII, FXZ-200, FXD-80, EPH-100).  The ME is interesting.  Obviously the first batch has a very high output impedance of 47 ohms, apparently that's corrected on currently shipping units (although we don't know how much).  With the right tips I thought it paired pretty awesome with my TG334s, albeit a bit thin with recessed bass.  But overall the sound is such that it justifies the expense of these very pricey IEMs.  I can't quite say the same of the DF.  Due to the nature of my work I need a compact solution that attaches to my 11" MBA.

Enter the MicroStreamer.  I've had it about 5 days now with maybe 30 hours of head time.  I'm in love.  It seems to right the wrongs of the DF, but I can't quite say it bests the ME or will esp. once the impedance issue is corrected.  My gut feeling is the MS still has an ever so slight warm/analogue thing going with it, but the bass holds up well and the whole sound is rather coherent and detailed if not a detail-meister.  With the ME, I guess we'll have to wait and see... in any case, just getting the ball rolling so others can share their impressions.  

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 109
heres the other thread on the microstreamer:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/647693/sonic-satori-hrt-levels-the-field-with-the-microstreamer

not too reviews on head fi on them, but I am interested in getting these more than the meridian, although I want to see how they stack up

where did you get yor microstreamer bobeau? the canadian distributers listed on the HRT website looks sketchy so it looks like amazon US is the best way to go if they ship to canada

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 109
Thanks, guess I missed this thread as it's prior to me even hearing about the unit...

I purchased through Amazon, I'm in the US so it was an easy decision.

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #4 of 109
First impressions on this little guy definitely seem positive. I'll probably get one of these for my portable setup right now, and in a month see if I can get it hooked up to an HTC One when I'm eligible for a new phone. I was seriously thinking about getting one of the top tier portable amps to go with a good small dac like this, but apparently the MS drives LCD-3's with authority by itself. My hardest cans to drive being HE-400's and Mad Dogs I might not need anything bigger. Anybody else with the MS have some high impedance cans or orthos?

Mar 25, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 109
I recently auditioned the Microstreamer and Dragonfly - sound quality wise, I greatly preferred the Microstreamer.  Considerably more life and dynamics to my ears, whereas the Dragonfly was more restrained.

That said, I had PC issues galore with the MS - on both a Win7 desktop and a Win8 laptop, I had pops and crackles and random "static explosions" using the MS, using JRiver 17 and 18, all manner of buffer settings, all types of ASIO, all USB 2 & 3 ports, etc.  

The Dragonfly from day 1 was rock solid, no such issues.  What a head scratcher, what to do.

I returned the MS to my dealer and asked for a replacement, given that the first must be defective.  I hope the 2nd unit is clean, b/c the difference to me was not subtle.  Also, the MS is more functional - it provides adjustable volume to my IEMs through one output and fixed volume output to my Audioengine 5 monitors. 

Mar 26, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #6 of 109
Anyone have experience with the DACport LX and have opinions on the HRT vs. the LX?

Apr 24, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #9 of 109
The Microstreamer seems really interesting: the reviews so far seem overwhelmingly positive, and I'm curious to read more comparisons and reviews (especially here at head-fi).

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #10 of 109
Just got mine yesterday, loving it so far; I've been pairing it with my HD598, D2000, and DT770 LEs, and it definitely does them justice moreso than anything I've used so far. Its much more neutral than my HiFiMeDIY Sabre/E11 combo, and noticeably more spacious and detailed than the ELE DAC. I'll say this, though: for 1/4 and 1/2 the price, respectively, the ELE and Sabre paired with my E11 put up a damn good fight. Still, the HRT gives me DT770 the tightest and most detailed bass I've heard from it yet, makes the D2000 noticeably more balanced and spacious (though not without some sibilance unfortunately) and best of all my HD598 sound wide and even, with no more fuzzy bass, silky highs, and a gorgeous midrange that does away with some of the excess warmth and thickness, bringing it closer to neutrality without sacrificing the Sennheiser house sound.

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #11 of 109
Thanks for your comments Gilly87!
The Microstreamer sounds like a wonderful little DAC/amp! I have the HD598s too, and I feel my FiiO E10 sometimes sounds a bit congested, so I'm looking at the MS as a bit of an upgrade without having to go desktop DAC and amp (for now). 
smile.gif

Apr 25, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #13 of 109
Quote:
I don't believe a thread exists for this amazing device so I thought I'd create one.

First off, links to pro reviews:

http://positive-feedback.com/Issue65/microstreamer.htm
http://www.whathifi.com/review/hrt-microstreamer
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/hrt-microstreamer-pocket-rocket/

My own impressions:

I've had a DragonFly since last summer and a Meridian Explorer for a bit over a month.  I'm not good at reviews so I'll keep it succinct - I was never a big fan of the DF.  I found it overly warm and bloomy down low and going on over 6 mos of almost daily use my opinion hasn't changed much.  When others say it's tight/detailed/bright I don't hear that at all, and this is running a variety of IEMs out of it (TG334, GR07 MKII, FXZ-200, FXD-80, EPH-100).  The ME is interesting.  Obviously the first batch has a very high output impedance of 47 ohms, apparently that's corrected on currently shipping units (although we don't know how much).  With the right tips I thought it paired pretty awesome with my TG334s, albeit a bit thin with recessed bass.  But overall the sound is such that it justifies the expense of these very pricey IEMs.  I can't quite say the same of the DF.  Due to the nature of my work I need a compact solution that attaches to my 11" MBA.

Enter the MicroStreamer.  I've had it about 5 days now with maybe 30 hours of head time.  I'm in love.  It seems to right the wrongs of the DF, but I can't quite say it bests the ME or will esp. once the impedance issue is corrected.  My gut feeling is the MS still has an ever so slight warm/analogue thing going with it, but the bass holds up well and the whole sound is rather coherent and detailed if not a detail-meister.  With the ME, I guess we'll have to wait and see... in any case, just getting the ball rolling so others can share their impressions.  

SORRY I didn't see you had a link to my review,
and see you're looking for user impressions.
Well, the thread below also has those for you guys!!

Actually, sorry if you guys missed it - I reviewed the HRT microStreamer for Positive Feedback during CES (well thats when it was published)
- and I was posted about it here - SO psyched at the positive response from the Head-Fi community.

Kevin Halverson  has been building high end digital since his days running Muse Electronics (one of my favorite lines) at the CTO - NOT "CEO".
He's a KILLER engineer, which is why I went to work for him years ago.  He pushed the envelope so much further sonically with the microStreamer.

It allows, for me, ultimately, a deeper emotional connection to the music.  I love my Dragonfly because if you're going on a quick trip, take my Macbook
and I'm covered (cans too of course).  and it seems, alot of Head-Fi people ended up buying microStreamers!  VERY COOL - I'm humbled.

HERE'S THE THREAD URL:

There's a reason I've been writing about this website for years, and its not just because Jude is a dear friend of mine.  
I've learned more from all of you about personal audio than I ever have about home audio after working in the high end audio press for 20 years!!

It's a new sonic frontier for me, and that is a great gift.  The cool thing is, at 38, I've been the young guy in an old industry (high end audio). Now,
sometimes I feel like an old man!  But I'm really having a great time exploring this space.  I split my time 50/50 between my Hi-fi and my headphone
rigs...

Peace,

LOVIN the Burson Conductor right now w/ a new Audeze LCD3 cables from Drew at Moon Audio (new Silver Dragon).
Audeze LCD3+Conductor - spectacularly musical combo!  Ray Samuels DarkStar is also blowin' my mind...  boyz and their toyz
hh

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #15 of 109
Like deadie, I have the same issues with the microstreamer:

Deadie wrote: "That said, I had PC issues galore with the MS - on both a Win7 desktop and a Win8 laptop, I had pops and crackles and random "static explosions" using the MS, using JRiver 17 and 18, all manner of buffer settings, all types of ASIO, all USB 2 & 3 ports, etc."

I couldn't have said it better myself. I have similar issues on three different systems; HP Probook NC4530s, HP/Compaq NC8430 as well as a home built PC.
All machines have W7 64b Ultimate, and am using Media Monkey 4, and Foobar2000 with WASAPI, DS or sometimes even Kernel Streaming.
Just like deadie, i've toyed around with a lot of settings, namely small buffers. Keeping the buffers around 100 ms gives the best resuls. Kernel Streaming still giving the most clicks and pops, and WASAPI/DS the same amount. But never "clean".

Does anyone know where these clicks and pops come from, and what can be done?
Is there a fault maybe with the microstreamer?

Like to hear from you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back