How to open up Ultrasone HFI-780 earcups?
Jan 19, 2009 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jpelg

Needs a regular fix of 'Fi
'06 Nat Meet Co-Coordinator
While the Pro series has tiny screws to attach the driver board to the earcup, the HFI-780's seem different:

ultrasone-hfi-780-06.jpg
[size=xx-small](photo from Anythingbutipod.com)[/size]

I'm not seeing regular screws. How do you detach the earcups?

TIA.

smile_phones.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #2 of 6
Are those some kind of funky screws?

Jan 19, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 6
philips screws, precision screwdrivers are a must.

The diode board may not be the worst thing, i blew up an ultrasone driver without it in... I was "burning in" aggressively, but have never blown another driver like this.

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the response, Ari!

So those are Philips screws after all? Hmmmm...ok.

Wrt the diode board, pictures I've seen indicate it is much more intricate than the two-diode configuration inside the PRO-series cans. My thought is that it is doing some kind of EQ as well. I'd just as soon get rid of it, and tune the cup using a combination of dampening materials.

Jan 20, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #5 of 6
Speaking of removal, how do you remove the pads on the ED9s? Unlike the Pro series, I can't see them twisting off.

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the response, Ari!

So those are Philips screws after all? Hmmmm...ok.

Wrt the diode board...

I guess I cant really say, as I have not seen the diode board from a pro-can, but the board in the HFI-780 is pretty simple. It has "pro-DJ" etched on it. It is basically, 2 diodes strapped from signal to ground on each channel. There are no passive EQ parts on the stock cans, although there is probably enough room for a smallish (iron core?) inductor air-wired to the driver to tame off the highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back