How to detect Snake Oil
Jun 17, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #46 of 91
Cables make absolutely no difference to the sound if they are functioning properly. They should be audibly transparent.

See ya
Steve

Jun 17, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #47 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cables make absolutely no difference to the sound if they are functioning properly. They should be audibly transparent.

See ya
Steve

And yet there are STILL literally dozens, if not hundreds of "reviews", or listening impressions, or opinions of some wire which "pollute" this forum of truth in audio!

Lemmings, I tell ya! The whole lot of 'em! Placebo! Gimme some wire coat hangers and don't you dare charge me any money! You're all scam artists and shills! Snake oil and sugar pills!

right?

rolleyes.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #48 of 91
Quote:

See ya
Steve

What really blows my mind is how highly people seem to think of their ears and the speakers that are transmitting the sound.

Seriously, even if a power cable did have some sort of vague effect on the sound it would be so microscopic that a speaker would never be able to produce it. More than that, even if one did have some sort of super-speaker crafted by the hand of god that could relay such microscopic differences, the human ear would never catch it.

It's like the people who swear that their speakers play from 20hz to 20khz. First off, no - your speakers don't. Secondly, you'd NEVER be able to tell without a mechanical device showing it to you.

Jun 17, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #49 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by yotacowboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And yet there are STILL literally dozens, if not hundreds of "reviews", or listening impressions, or opinions of some wire which "pollute" this forum of truth in audio!

Lemmings, I tell ya! The whole lot of 'em! Placebo! Gimme some wire coat hangers and don't you dare charge me any money! You're all scam artists and shills! Snake oil and sugar pills!

right?

rolleyes.gif

There's thousands of people who will swear to you that the pain in their joints was relieved when they wore magnets on them, even if they weren't even wearing real magnets.

Jun 17, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #50 of 91
snore300.jpg

The Snore Free ™
How do we prevent snoring? The Snore Free ™ is a small plastic ring with two rare earth magnets. The ring is attached to the nose and is quite comfortable. The Snore Free ™ then magnetically stimulates the sensory nerves of the nose which opens the nasal passage thus preventing snoring.

snoredia250.jpg

hairbrushmodel250.jpg

MAGNETIC HAIR BRUSH
The Chinese have believed for centuries that exposure to magnets leads to remarkably improved hair growth and improved hair condition. With the use of Magnetic Therapy in the West, many reports of the same phenomena are emerging. So now we have the Magnetic Hair Brush to magnetically massage the scalp and at the same time use as an ordinary hair brush.

letters-new.jpg

Jun 17, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #51 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Terminus Est 23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's like the people who swear that their speakers play from 20hz to 20khz. First off, no - your speakers don't. Secondly, you'd NEVER be able to tell without a mechanical device showing it to you.

I've ran test tones from 20Hz to 100Hz, I can hear 30Hz. I don't want to try the super high frequencies, my head will hurt
tongue.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #52 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've ran test tones from 20Hz to 100Hz, I can hear 30Hz. I don't want to try the super high frequencies, my head will hurt
tongue.gif

30hz-18Khz is, as I recall, the norm of "good" hearing. People who live in big cities are worse. Anyone over the age of 5 who can hear 20 to 20 is a freak of nature or was raised in silence.

Jun 17, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #53 of 91
Quote:

30hz-18Khz is, as I recall, the norm of "good" hearing. People who live in big cities are worse. Anyone over the age of 5 who can hear 20 to 20 is a freak of nature or was raised in silence.

Yeah, I couldn't resist and downloaded some 16kHz, 18kHz and 20kHz tones. 16 and 18 are very irritating, like a mosquito, 20kHz, I can't hear (and foobar2000 doesn't show on very well on the visualizer.

Jun 17, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #54 of 91
I'll just relate one more story. As I mentioned, I'm an audio engineer (I preface audio not to come off as an authority but to make it clear I'm not a real engineer
smily_headphones1.gif
like an electrical engineer) and with that I've recorded dozens upon dozens of bands. In just about every session there comes a time when a guy wants to hear more of some certain instrument and often times it is difficult to do this without screwing up everyone else . . . You can not believe how often I've reached down, pretended to turn a button, turned to the guy-in-question and said, "Is that better?" and received an immediate, "Oh yeah, that's perfect!"

Jun 17, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #55 of 91
Quote:

I'll just relate one more story. As I mentioned, I'm an audio engineer (I preface audio not to come off as an authority but to make it clear I'm not a real engineer
smily_headphones1.gif
like an electrical engineer) and with that I've recorded dozens of bands. In just about every session there comes a time when a guy wants to hear more of some certain instrument and often times it is difficult to do this without screwing up everyone else . . . You can not believe how often I've reached down, pretended to turn a button, turned to the guy-in-question and said, "Is that better?" and received an immediate, "Oh yeah, that's perfect!"

Lol, should have turned his headphones up.
wink.gif

Jun 18, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #56 of 91
Quote:

right?

rolleyes.gif

Argumentum ad populum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jun 18, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #57 of 91
Quote:

If someone finds that a cable alters the quality of the sound, it is either: A) defective or B) not measured properly. A cable should not color the sound. That isn't its job. There are better and more precise ways to accomplish correct equalization and phase than by randomly swapping cables in and out to see what particular type of hobbling accomplishes the effect one is looking for. It isn't difficult to design and build a transparent cable. There are lots of them available at very reasonable prices.

See ya
Steve

Jun 18, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #58 of 91
Quote:

If someone finds that a cable alters the quality of the sound, it is either: A) defective or B) not measured properly. A cable should not color the sound. That isn't its job. There are better and more precise ways to accomplish correct equalization and phase than by randomly swapping cables in and out to see what particular type of hobbling accomplishes the effect one is looking for. It isn't difficult to design and build a transparent cable. There are lots of them available at very reasonable prices.

See ya
Steve

Do tell what a "transparent" cable is and list a few of the "lots of them".

Jun 18, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #59 of 91
Transparent = doesn't impart anything to the sound.

Few of the cheap cables:
For only $2.19 each when QTY 50+ purchased - PREMIUM 2 RCA Plug/2 RCA Plug M/M 22AWG Cable - 6ft | RCA Audio Cables
--------
RadioShack.com - Cables, Parts & Connectors: A/V cables: Subwoofer & interconnect cables: Phoenix Gold (ARX-520) 6.5-Ft. Audio Interconnect Cable
--------
BJC, everyone here knows about them, do I have to link?
--------
I don't have an online link, but I saw some interconnects at Home Depot that were decently constructed and were reasonable.

I'd say BJC is on the pricey side actually; I would recommend them in more EMI/RF dense areas that need broadcast-quality stuff to block out interference. For most people monoprice cables will do it.

And because I know it'll come up (why not just use coat hangers?!), there are non-audible reasons to pick certain cables. I've seen some instances in really crappy environments where gold-plating might be preferable if the cables are only touched once in awhile - a layer of oxidation is nasty to handle and can crust off. I've seen it happen at some pro studios. Also, coat hangers don't hold up to as much abuse. Finally, it looks nice. Honestly, for a couple bucks more just having the nice cable in the back is worth it for me. Then of course there's the EMI/RF problem as stated above.

Jun 18, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #60 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by royalcrown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Transparent = doesn't impart anything to the sound.

Of course, this does bring me to the obvious question, what makes you say this cable is "transparent" vs another? What point of reference would you be using for transparency? And of course, how are you determining whether something is transparent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back