How does AKG K712 behave with EDM?
Oct 29, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #31 of 51
I have not personally heard The Element but I've heard from many people that it's absolutely excellent and JDS Lab's customer support is also top of the line.

I personally want an NFB-11 because it has all the features I need like USB+Optical in, Line outs and Preamp outs which can be controlled by the volume knob on the front and it allows switching between headphones and speakers without ever unplugging the headphones. It also has a neutral, very clean and very high quality sounding DAC and a very powerful headphone amp built-in which can power almost anything today.
Do you know how NFB 11.28 behaves with sensitive headphones? I would like to buy a Grade one day but I want to have only one amp.
I'm a big fan of the Element and have tried it with the k712 and enjoyed it a bit. I'm not a big fan of the o2 and odac either, the element sounds much smoother to me.
And you think it's a good choice for EDM? I know it's not the best for this particular genre but since I want a headphone that's all in one then I hope it's also for EDM because it's my favorite genre, @YJX94 said it's not that his opinion is not valid but the more people compliment him the more certain I have that this is the right choice.

Oct 29, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #32 of 51
An amp or DAC, if designed right, wouldn't care what genre you listen to, they're either good or they're not. Sure you can get some that are warmer than others or boring or have etchy brightness, but these are small details. The headphones are the ones that change the sound the most and can be bad or good on specific genres.

So that being said. Yes, I think the element is a competently designed solution and thus sounds good on any musical genre. The k712 is a good all-rounder headphone that is detailed yet has a solid low end (bass). The two are a great pairing in my opinion.

Oct 29, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #33 of 51
Do you know how NFB 11.28 behaves with sensitive headphones? I would like to buy a Grade one day but I want to have only one amp.

It will drive most sensitive headphones today with ease. It will have an issue with a very inefficient headphone like the HE-6 and any electrostats which require a special kind of amp.

Oct 29, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #34 of 51
It will drive most sensitive headphones today with ease. It will have an issue with a very inefficient headphone like the HE-6 and any electrostats which require a special kind of amp.
Some amplifiers have a very high impedance output and are not ideal for sensitive headphones, are you sure that the NFB 11.28 fits headphones with these features ?

Oct 29, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #35 of 51
Some amplifiers have a very high impedance output and are not ideal for sensitive headphones, are you sure that the NFB 11.28 fits headphones with these features ?
The NFB-11 has an output impedance of 2 Ohms which means it will be absolutely fine for any headphone that is 20 Ohms and higher.

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #36 of 51
From personal experience, the AKG 7-series of headphones are fantastic for electronica and genres surrounding it. I own the Q701, have for 5 years, were my daily for the longest time. A few years ago, my primary genre was EDM, so I'd say if you can find a set at a decent price, pick them up.

Oct 30, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #38 of 51
That's exactly what I'll do, you convinced me, thank you all for the help !! :k701smile:
Have fun with them, you won't be disappointed.

And remember if they don't sound right when you first get them then it is not a cause for concern, you just have to break-in the sound and when your brain mentally gets used to the new sound signature and frequency response they will sound absolutely awesome. Some of AKG's headphone are notorious for having a pretty long break-in period, they broke-in for me after 100 hours and they sound so different and MUCH better than when I first put them on.

Oct 30, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #39 of 51
Have fun with them, you won't be disappointed.

And remember if they don't sound right when you first get them then it is not a cause for concern, you just have to break-in the sound and when your brain mentally gets used to the new sound signature and frequency response they will sound absolutely awesome. Some of AKG's headphone are notorious for having a pretty long break-in period, they broke-in for me after 100 hours and they sound so different and MUCH better than when I first put them on.
I am not difficult to please, I like all kinds of signatures, each one offers something different, so much that in the future I intend to buy the Massdrop X Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart to get serious bass, Sennheiser HD 660 S for its legendary mids , and the Grado RS2e for its brilliant high, say that it is perfect for rock and string instruments.

Oct 30, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #41 of 51
I am not difficult to please, I like all kinds of signatures, each one offers something different, so much that in the future I intend to buy the Massdrop X Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart to get serious bass, Sennheiser HD 660 S for its legendary mids , and the Grado RS2e for its brilliant high, say that it is perfect for rock and string instruments.
Indeed. The K712 will offer you a sound signature unlike any headphone you've tried, coloured in such a nice and flavourful way and very pleasing to sit back and listen to, the headphone just is what you need it to be which is why it's one of the best all-rounders there is.

Oct 30, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #42 of 51
Indeed. The K712 will offer you a sound signature unlike any headphone you've tried, coloured in such a nice and flavourful way and very pleasing to sit back and listen to, the headphone just is what you need it to be which is why it's one of the best all-rounders there is.
ou said you wanted the NFB 11.28, well I was taking a look at the site and I saw the R2R 11, there is a post where they are doing a comparison between both and from what I read so far it seems that the R2R 11 is a little better.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-gd-nfb-11-28-vs-r2r-11.858093/

Oct 30, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #43 of 51
ou said you wanted the NFB 11.28, well I was taking a look at the site and I saw the R2R 11, there is a post where they are doing a comparison between both and from what I read so far it seems that the R2R 11 is a little better.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-gd-nfb-11-28-vs-r2r-11.858093/
Yep, I've read up on that. From what I can gather I see most people say that it makes the sound warmer than the NFB version and I want something that doesn't mess with the frequency response and is neutral/flat as possible which the NFB is. Although even with the slightly warmer sound some people say they prefer the R2R version.

It would be nice if somebody did a full review/comparison of the 2.

Oct 30, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #44 of 51
Yep, I've read up on that. From what I can gather I see most people say that it makes the sound warmer than the NFB version and I want something that doesn't mess with the frequency response and is neutral/flat as possible which the NFB is. Although even with the slightly warmer sound some people say they prefer the R2R version.

It would be nice if somebody did a full review/comparison of the 2.
Already I prefer a more musical signature, because the last thing I want is a tiring and exhausting sound, so the R2R 11 would be ideal for me.

Oct 30, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #45 of 51
Already I prefer a more musical signature, because the last thing I want is a tiring and exhausting sound, so the R2R 11 would be ideal for me.
As do I but I prefer that the signature be a factor that is controlled by the headphone itself and not the DAC/Amp. Remember the headphone is going to make the biggest difference in sound and a much bigger difference than any DAC/Amp can.

Going from an O2+ODAC to an NFB-11 will have a very minuscule difference in sound but going from an HD 600 to a DT 990 will have a huge difference in sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back