How does AKG K712 behave with EDM?
Oct 27, 2017 at 11:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

Renato Fury

500+ Head-Fier
When I was decided to buy the HD 650 Sennheiser decided to release the HD 660 S, and now I no longer see the HD 650 with the same eyes, so I'll leave this update to a more distant future, but now I'm thinking about the AKG K712, my favorite musical genre is EDM but it can be said that I'm eclectic, and from what I read 712 has more bass than its predecessors but not much that worries me, I'm not a basshead, actually or I hate it a very strong bass, I also read that the sound stage is great, it makes the sound very distant which can be bad too, but so what do you think?

Oct 27, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #2 of 51
When I was decided to buy the HD 650 Sennheiser decided to release the HD 660 S, and now I no longer see the HD 650 with the same eyes, so I'll leave this update to a more distant future, but now I'm thinking about the AKG K712, my favorite musical genre is EDM but it can be said that I'm eclectic, and from what I read 712 has more bass than its predecessors but not much that worries me, I'm not a basshead, actually or I hate it a very strong bass, I also read that the sound stage is great, it makes the sound very distant which can be bad too, but so what do you think?
K712 is my daily driver and I use it for EDM as well. You are right that the bass is not super strong and it's not a headphone for extreme bassheads but it doesn't lack bass either. Personally I think the bass response on it is perfect and just right, not too anemic where it's a dull headphone and not too overpowering where other frequencies suffer.

You REALLY need to run it from an amp though, not necessarily because it's too quiet without one but because an amp just brings them to life, it tightens up the bass response, improves the clarity and detail of the treble and improves the midrange too. Soundstage is absolutely awesome on it, it's wide AND it's accurate so it has a big soundstage with amazing imaging which is why it's also my top pick for gaming.

The soundstage doesn't sound too distant at all, it's not like the K701 where it has an artificially large soundstage and some things just sounded too distant. The K712 still has a wide soundstage but as I said it's very accurate and it doesn't feel artificial at all making it feel realistic. They're great all-round headphones basically, they'll do whatever you need them to do. I will tell you though that they do require lots of break-in, when I first got them they didn't sound right at all like how people were describing but now I can't take them off my head.

There are headphones out there that are probably better suited for EDM but I would argue that the K712 is a safe bet for pretty much anything due to its ability to be a great all-rounder.

Oct 27, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #3 of 51
I agree the k712 is a great all-rounder. From acoustic to metal to jazz to electronic, it's a pretty balanced headphone that doesn't offend on any genre.

Oct 27, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #4 of 51
I'm happy to read those positive reviews, but compared to the HD 650, do you guys think that one can complement the other for different genres or do the people who own both leave one to stay with each other?

Oct 27, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 51
I'm happy to read those positive reviews, but compared to the HD 650, do you guys think that one can complement the other for different genres or do the people who own both leave one to stay with each other?
Well what I can say about that is that the HD 650 is a more laid back headphone and more relaxing whereas the K712 just takes so much detail and bombards you with it (in a good way). The K712 whilst it is a balanced headphone does colour the sound slightly but it does it in a nice flavourful way. It's more fun than the HD 650 largely due to the really nice soundstage and emphasised treble which is again very detailed. Think of the K712 as a cheaper version of the HD 800 without the troublesome 6k spike that HD 800 is known for. K712 is a very analytical headphone so it's very good for critical listening but AKG has tweaked it in a way where it's analytical/balanced but not boring and it's fun and has a pleasing sound signature.

That being said I would not get rid of either an HD 650 or a K712. HD 650 is basically a warmer sounding HD 600 whereas K712 is an analytical/reference headphone which is fun with a wonderful soundstage and has detail for days.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #7 of 51
Well what I can say about that is that the HD 650 is a more laid back headphone and more relaxing whereas the K712 just takes so much detail and bombards you with it (in a good way). The K712 whilst it is a balanced headphone does colour the sound slightly but it does it in a nice flavourful way. It's more fun than the HD 650 largely due to the really nice soundstage and emphasised treble which is again very detailed. Think of the K712 as a cheaper version of the HD 800 without the troublesome 6k spike that HD 800 is known for. K712 is a very analytical headphone so it's very good for critical listening but AKG has tweaked it in a way where it's analytical/balanced but not boring and it's fun and has a pleasing sound signature.

That being said I would not get rid of either an HD 650 or a K712. HD 650 is basically a warmer sounding HD 600 whereas K712 is an analytical/reference headphone which is fun with a wonderful soundstage and has detail for days.
But do you use both in different situations or when you nauseate one uses the other? Because I want to use both in different situations and not use one and leave the other stored in the cabinet, in case it would be the HD 660 S.

Oct 27, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 51
But do you use both in different situations or when you nauseate one uses the other? Because I want to use both in different situations and not use one and leave the other stored in the cabinet, in case it would be the HD 660 S.
I don't own an HD 650 although I've listened to it long enough to make an informed opinion. To best answer your question I would say the 650 is best used in scenarios where you just want to lay back and relax which is obviously dependant on the genre of music you're listening to and the K712 is best used when you want something that is balanced but fun and energetic and want to be immersed (soundstage) and want to pick out every little detail (imaging, gaming) in what you're listening to.

To best describe what I'm trying to say:-
  • HD 650 - Neutral, balanced, warm, laid back and relaxing
  • K712 Pro - Balanced, reference, analytical, warm, fun and energetic

Oct 27, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #9 of 51
I don't own an HD 650 although I've listened to it long enough to make an informed opinion. To best answer your question I would say the 650 is best used in scenarios where you just want to lay back and relax which is obviously dependant on the genre of music you're listening to and the K712 is best used when you want something that is balanced but fun and energetic and want to be immersed (soundstage) and want to pick out every little detail (imaging, gaming) in what you're listening to.

To best describe what I'm trying to say:-
  • HD 650 - Neutral, balanced, warm, laid back and relaxing
  • K712 Pro - Balanced, reference, analytical, warm, fun and energetic
And how does it work with not very good files?

Oct 27, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #10 of 51
And how does it work with not very good files?
Not good at all, no headphone will magically make crap recordings sound good. I listened to my K712's at a friends house on his computer where he downloaded (pirated lol) some songs and it sounded like garbage. The files were tiny in size and really low quality and everything just sounded muffled and super distorted even at lower volumes. However on places like Spotify or even YouTube with its compression, they sound absolutely spectacular.

Using something like foobar and wasapi or asio and running through a high quality DAC/Amp you will get immensely beautiful sound quality, guaranteed.

Oct 28, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #11 of 51
I have the k712 with the Schiit Stack & listen to a lot of EDM (Techo/Trance) I dont find them amazing but as others have said they are a very good all rounder for all types of genres. I actually prefer EDM through my IEM's - AF180. I have ordered the Massdrop H6x0 as i've never heard them so very intrigued to see what they sound like.

Oct 28, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #12 of 51
Not good at all, no headphone will magically make crap recordings sound good. I listened to my K712's at a friends house on his computer where he downloaded (pirated lol) some songs and it sounded like garbage. The files were tiny in size and really low quality and everything just sounded muffled and super distorted even at lower volumes. However on places like Spotify or even YouTube with its compression, they sound absolutely spectacular.

Using something like foobar and wasapi or asio and running through a high quality DAC/Amp you will get immensely beautiful sound quality, guaranteed.
I am increasingly considering the purchase of the 712, but there is one thing that worries me, the headband elastic, say that it wears out over time and needs to change in the future, do you feel this with yours ?
I have the k712 with the Schiit Stack & listen to a lot of EDM (Techo/Trance) I dont find them amazing but as others have said they are a very good all rounder for all types of genres. I actually prefer EDM through my IEM's - AF180. I have ordered the Massdrop H6x0 as i've never heard them so very intrigued to see what they sound like.
I wanted to try the Massdrop X Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart, they say his bass is amazing, if it's bass you want, I think you should have bought this, or a closed back.

Oct 28, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #13 of 51
I am increasingly considering the purchase of the 712, but there is one thing that worries me, the headband elastic, say that it wears out over time and needs to change in the future, do you feel this with yours ?

Not on mine and I have a big head. The trick to me is to never over stretch it or it'll lose elasticity. Also mine is still the very first Austrian made.

Oct 28, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #14 of 51
It won't wear out at all, just don't hang it from the leather headband because that MIGHT cause it to lose elasticity, if you're going to hang it then hang it from the 2 orange bars at the top.

Oct 28, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #15 of 51
It won't wear out at all, just don't hang it from the leather headband because that MIGHT cause it to lose elasticity, if you're going to hang it then hang it from the 2 orange bars at the top.
I do not even have headphone support, but if I have a pretense yes I hang it with the bars, apposite, those bars are plastic or metal, and what kind of support do you use ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back