How do you support your Headphone Habit?
Jul 20, 2001 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

sackley

Audiophile can you spare a dime?
Well, I am curious. How do some of you pay for your habit or what do you do for a living? I am a full time student (AKA really poor), but I am a full time software developer during the summer and sale associate at Sears (You have no idea how much I hate being around their junk all day and listening to people constantly praising it). Just thought I would toss this out there.

Jul 20, 2001 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 27
Well, I'm not sure if this is appropriate or not.. but usually, what I like to do, is just ask people on Head-Fi if they can help out a head-fi brother in need... I mean, I'll pay for shipping, is what I tell 'em. And sometimes, they bite.

I mean, look at these HD-600s and RS-1s. They took but 5 weeks to get here via book rate postage, but well worth the wait!

But seriously.. not in attempt to cut the thread short, but I think that most of us just work to support the habit. Me personally, I'm a database/sys-engie. The only thing I need to really support my habit now is a steady supply of good music.
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2001 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 27
Heh... well, I have this little job at the University that pays me pretty well, almost full time this summer (that is, taking some courses at the University in the morning) and part time in the regular school year (though I don't know if I can do that anymore, too much pressure).

Hm, I wish I didn't poison myself with mercury the other day though...

Basically I do research under this lab, learn a lot and good for college while helping my headphone habit
biggrin.gif
(though I don't spend it all on headphonestuff, I have other things to buy). I like my job...

Jul 21, 2001 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 27
Programming games for Game Boy is what funds my habit these days, though when I first got addicted in my mid-teens it was the stacking of supermarket shelves that paid for it all. How I miss those days of vinyl.
frown.gif

Jul 21, 2001 at 1:00 AM Post #7 of 27
i currently have a summer job washing dishes at an italian restaurant...... it sucks my anus I gotta say. can't wait for school to start again and i can get some SLEEP....

Jul 21, 2001 at 1:24 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

I usually pay for everything with rubber cheques under an alias.
Yours truly,
joelongwood

LOL, mbriant!
biggrin.gif

I just use taxpayers' hard-earned money. I'm one of those teachers that everyone complains about........you know, the ones who do nothing all day and are off all Summer.
wink.gif

Jul 21, 2001 at 1:41 AM Post #10 of 27
I'm a courier, I drive 250 miles a day in a 15 year old car with a broken A/C and a driver side window that can't be rolled down. I pick up undevolped rolls of film from grocery and small department stores and deliver devolped pictures. In two weeks I'm gonna have a new job, but I don't know what yet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2001 at 1:53 AM Post #11 of 27
I use money that would have gone to my education. Pfft, thank God I saved those dollars from such an awfull demise. I still have some extra, I should go for the SCD-1 and some magnepans while im on a roll. Or I could save it and try to go to graduate school.... NAH. I want musical splendor NOW. Just kidding. I generally save a buck or two and hope for a random gift from one of my parents or a relative. If it looks like my overdraw fees will be less than 20% of the total spent Ill go for it!! Just kidding again. But I have overdrawn my account a few times in the past 4 years. DAMN, I could have bought a pair of 580's with that lost money. Oh well, I will learn someday or I'll just keep paying the bank out the ass whenever I overdraw 1 dollar and 23 cents from the soda I bought at the conveniece store but didn't mark in my register... Am I wrong to feel ripped off at being charged 30 bucks for such an overdraw?? Or is that just the way the world works?? Do I really need to feel like the bank is going to take a baseball bat and screw me with it everytime my account gets low??? Excuse me these are personal problems I will move on now... Anyway thats why I dont buy everything I see in the FS/T forum.

Jul 23, 2001 at 3:01 AM Post #12 of 27
Visa debit card....It's everywhere you want to be.

Regards - reynman

Jul 23, 2001 at 1:32 PM Post #13 of 27
lol, joelonwood.

I whine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2001 at 4:49 PM Post #14 of 27
work, work, work, ebay, work, work, work, work, ebay, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, ebay, work, work, work, work, ebay, work, work, work, work, ebay, work, work, work, ebay, work, ebay, work, work, work, work, ebay, work, work, work, work, ebay, work, work, ebay, work, work, ebay, work, work, work, work, ebay, work, work, work, work, ebay, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, ebay, work, work, work, work, ebay, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, ebay, work, work, work, work, ebay, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work.

And then I whine:

("ah, come on hunny, I only bought 10 records, and besides, you like Smetna..." "what do you mean 'need'...why do you 'need' a subwoofer in the mini-van?....." "just 'cause it was there when we bought it has nothing to do with the question....")

A reminder to you young bucks to buy your toys before you get married! (or you'll have to work a lot harder to get them!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back