Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review
Nov 28, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #751 of 1,483
PROMISE: I'M NOT COMPLAINING 
biggrin.gif

Okay, so, whether you're tired of my posts here yet or not, here goes another one:

goodvibes:  You were right.  Surprise, surprise.

A while back you mentioned the button stiffness that I had commented about.  When I first opened this unit I removed some of the adhesive-lined padding on some of the components.  I then sort of ripped apart the padding that was on top of the Micro SD card reader (it was under this that I first found that renegade screw).  I THEN placed the foam back down...imperfectly - meaning I didn't line up the jagged edges of the tears exactly.  This raised the padding by about about .25mm - .5mm.  This caused the button stiffness.  I loosened the board (as you suggested), but of course with the padding being slightly thicker, it just pressed the board down against the case anyhow.

THIS seems to have been the cause of the short.  I noticed that when giving the unit a squeeze from front to back the menu would self-navigate as it were, meaning either the left or right button was being pressed too.  With the constant pressure of being attached to my portable amp via some thick rubber bands, it may have been pressing a component against the aluminum casing - perhaps a component that only had current going through it when plugged into the usb (hence the rebooting while charging?)

Whatever it was, removing this unevenness int the padding helped immensely.

Everything is working fine again.

PLEDGE:
I swear I'm going to stop causing problems and then explaining how I solved them 
redface.gif

Who knows, some of this info might be useful to others out there - one can only hope!

Thanks to you all!

Nov 29, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #752 of 1,483
LOL...not a problem here.  I, for one, don't mind helping out and like you said, this might help the rest of us IF we ever have the same issue.

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #753 of 1,483

Sorry could not find the original post but did find this from the MP3tag FAQ:

Which tag fields are supported by Mp3tag?
Mp3tag's tag panel supports the following fields for all tag types:•Artist •Album •Title •Year •Genre •Track Number •Comment
All extended tag fields can be edited by either selecting View >Extended Tags... or by pressing [Alt+T].
You can also add additional file list columns for extended tag fields via View > Customize Columns... and edit the tag fields directly in the file list.
You can also add more tag fields to the tag panel via Tools > Options > Tag Panel.
You can find a list of all ID3v2 tag-field names and their mappings to other applications at this topic in Mp3tag's help file.

I am sure you can also find similar tag editing in foobar and dBPowerAmp or maybe JRiver media center.

Hi Bear

Rechecked (thanks for the help BTW) - one album did have some eroneous extended tags.  Deleted them & tried again.  Same 3.5 minute boot.

Guessing at this stage it's one of three things:
 - firmware related (a lot of you have earlier versions)
 - number of files (eg Lee has less than a third of the files I have)
 - related to my studio only

UPDATE - interesting.  I just deleted about 3.5 GB (200 tracks off the internal 4Gb memory section).  Boot dropped to just under the 3 minute mark.

I'd be willing to bet if I pruned 25% of the tracks on the memory card (ie got down to around 1500) - then I'd be likely under 2 minutes.  May try this over the weekend.

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #754 of 1,483
  PROMISE: I'M NOT COMPLAINING 
biggrin.gif

Okay, so, whether you're tired of my posts here yet or not, here goes another one:

goodvibes:  You were right.  Surprise, surprise.

A while back you mentioned the button stiffness that I had commented about.  When I first opened this unit I removed some of the adhesive-lined padding on some of the components.  I then sort of ripped apart the padding that was on top of the Micro SD card reader (it was under this that I first found that renegade screw).  I THEN placed the foam back down...imperfectly - meaning I didn't line up the jagged edges of the tears exactly.  This raised the padding by about about .25mm - .5mm.  This caused the button stiffness.  I loosened the board (as you suggested), but of course with the padding being slightly thicker, it just pressed the board down against the case anyhow.

THIS seems to have been the cause of the short.  I noticed that when giving the unit a squeeze from front to back the menu would self-navigate as it were, meaning either the left or right button was being pressed too.  With the constant pressure of being attached to my portable amp via some thick rubber bands, it may have been pressing a component against the aluminum casing - perhaps a component that only had current going through it when plugged into the usb (hence the rebooting while charging?)

Whatever it was, removing this unevenness int the padding helped immensely.

Everything is working fine again.

PLEDGE:
I swear I'm going to stop causing problems and then explaining how I solved them 
redface.gif

Who knows, some of this info might be useful to others out there - one can only hope!

Thanks to you all!

bigsmile_face.gif
 I didn't think the FW mistake would mess it up as described. 

Nov 29, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #755 of 1,483
  Note:  Just did a full format of the onboard memory - didn't help...and it was tricky to do as the player reboot itself twice while I was attempting to perform the format.  Had to do a 'quick format' which worked, but the behaviour is exactly the same.

I'm doubting it's a battery issue.  There's just a demon inside it 
evil_smiley.gif

Sorry to hear you have so many issues with the 3rd....I never had any with any of my 3rd, BA, or 2nd...Just send them back and get a new one.

Nov 29, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #757 of 1,483
  His is now working great and he bought it 2nd hand.

bigsmile_face.gif
 I didn't think the FW mistake would mess it up as described. 

LOL...not a problem here.  I, for one, don't mind helping out and like you said, this might help the rest of us IF we ever have the same issue.

Hey there - yes, to an extent I think this was an issue I may have inherited as it was noticeable that the player had been opened up previously and there was already a fair bit of compression to the board when I first received it (the back aluminum plate was lifted up along the bottom edge by about 1mm.

I didn't bother trying to fix it immediately as it worked just fine and seemed like a cosmetic issue. It was only when I opened it up the first time and then tightened the back plate to be flush with the rest of the enclosure that it started causing me real issues.  I should have realized earlier than I did that every time I opened the unit I was able to get it working, but shortly after tightening everything back down it would start to malfunction.

Just a note for those who open up their Studios:
The back plate should sit flush against the enclosure when face-down on a table without the aid of the back screws.  If you have the same issue I did (particularly if you've purchased it second-hand) then take note.  Even if the screws are doing very little to compress the back plate into the enclosure it's too much pressure on the board.

Thanks once again to Bear, Goodvibes, and the rest of you for your recommendations and first-aid-like responses to my pleas!  Much obliged 
beerchug.gif

Now...as for that DX50 that's coming in the mail today...I might still keep it around as a backup...but it'll most likely be gifted out.

Happy listening!

Nov 29, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #758 of 1,483
"Now...as for that DX50 that's coming in the mail today...I might still keep it around as a backup...but it'll most likely be gifted out."

Yeah that's what happened to mine (DX50 that is)... gave it away to my brother in law. I bought it because i had read that it was better than the Sudio V 3rd....
To these ears that is a load of  %&#$. The Studio is better in every department (sound wise).

In fact the more DAPs i listen to the more i appreciate this player. 

Nov 29, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #759 of 1,483
Go listen to “Somebody I Used To Know” if you want to hear hiss and want to see how infuriating it can be.  Honestly though, that the Studio 3rd did hiss a little was meaningless.  It was so low and if I wasn’t deliberately going out of my way to look for it id never have cared or probably noticed on many things.
aeAqdO

Nov 29, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #760 of 1,483
  "Now...as for that DX50 that's coming in the mail today...I might still keep it around as a backup...but it'll most likely be gifted out."

Yeah that's what happened to mine (DX50 that is)... gave it away to my brother in law. I bought it because i had read that it was better than the Sudio V 3rd....
To these ears that is a load of  %&#$. The Studio is better in every department (sound wise).

In fact the more DAPs i listen to the more i appreciate this player. 

I gave it a fair shake when I got home from work.  Loaded in my card and listened to a bunch of my usual reference songs/albums.

I honestly do think it's a very nice player - and the UI and the touch screen will make it a very fine match...for my mother to put to use.  This will replace her Little Dot DP_I (with its infuriatingly small font).  She has a nice wooded set of Grado SR325s that I got her for her birthday.  She's an audiophile, but just doesn't know it 
happy_face1.gif

It's funny though, because she does notice significant differences between her DAPs and other equipment.  She's in her later 60s now, so good on her for that. I know she'll give the DX50 a good home.

Like I said, it's not a bad player at all - with the right firmware on it there is really good separation, and I thought the low end was really well defined, but it can't touch the Studio in its mids/highs.  I went right back and listened to those tracks again on my Studio and was like: 'Yeah, that's what I want to hear' 
L3000.gif

Anyhow, it's a big step up from the Little Dot for her - I found that player to be decent, and a great way to carry your media around (what with its optical out), but I could never really dig the sound...it was clean...just boring to listen to...no depth at all.

Nov 29, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #761 of 1,483
  Go listen to “Somebody I Used To Know” if you want to hear hiss and want to see how infuriating it can be.  Honestly though, that the Studio 3rd did hiss a little was meaningless.  It was so low and if I wasn’t deliberately going out of my way to look for it id never have cared or probably noticed on many things.
aeAqdO

To whom are you directing your comment?

I don't have that album on me...though I did for a while...got a little tired of him...quickly.

It seems, however, that you're taking umbrage with a previous comment, and I'm just curious to know what it's all about.  
popcorn.gif

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #762 of 1,483

Hi Bear

Rechecked (thanks for the help BTW) - one album did have some eroneous extended tags.  Deleted them & tried again.  Same 3.5 minute boot.

UPDATE - interesting.  I just deleted about 3.5 GB (200 tracks off the internal 4Gb memory section).  Boot dropped to just under the 3 minute mark.

I'd be willing to bet if I pruned 25% of the tracks on the memory card (ie got down to around 1500) - then I'd be likely under 2 minutes.  May try this over the weekend.

Brooko if you have dropbox go ahead and upload some of those files to me so I can check them out. As I said if you can take a screen shot of a list of some of your files (say an album) and either post that here or to me in PM. I bet I can find out what is wrong. As I said earlier I had 2,500 songs on my player (pretty much all FLAC at that point) on a 64 GB Sandisk micro SD card. My unit only took 45 seconds to boot each time. So there is something causing your longer than normal boot times. I'm curious what firmware are you using? Might I suggest download the dynamic firmware from ie2hans thread and load it. Follow the directions he says and it's a piece of cake to do.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587884/hisound-studio-rocoo-firmware-files

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #763 of 1,483

Hi Bear

No problem, glad to help.

I do not use the internal memory, just a 64Gig card, all FLAC, and mine boots in about a minute give or take.
I also have gotten in the habit of just leaving it playing if I step away from it for a meeting. Then, when needed, charge it over night. Battery on it last a long time so no worries there.

Lee had some more advice for you maybe that will work.

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #764 of 1,483

Brooko if you have dropbox go ahead and upload some of those files to me so I can check them out. As I said if you can take a screen shot of a list of some of your files (say an album) and either post that here or to me in PM. I bet I can find out what is wrong. As I said earlier I had 2,500 songs on my player (pretty much all FLAC at that point) on a 64 GB Sandisk micro SD card. My unit only took 45 seconds to boot each time. So there is something causing your longer than normal boot times. I'm curious what firmware are you using? Might I suggest download the dynamic firmware from ie2hans thread and load it. Follow the directions he says and it's a piece of cake to do.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587884/hisound-studio-rocoo-firmware-files

Hi Lee

I PM'd you dropbox link to 3 FLAC files so you can have a look.

And here's the screenshot you wanted .....

Click for a bigger image.

Thanks for the link to the firmware files.  The ones posted in that thread are a lot older though (and none state they are for the V3 - just the standard Studio).  Jack mentioned to me in an email that I should stick with the current one on my player - and to be honest, I'm getting accustomed to the 3 minute wait on boot.  The last thing I want to do is cause issues when the sonics are so good with what I have.

I may prune a few more albums from the current ones I have loaded - which will also speed things up.

Dec 1, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #765 of 1,483
  Don't think he will though I would certainly be to get a studio 3rd with impedance under 1 Ohm.

There's no good way to do that and it's likely already under 2 ohms. There's some coupling caps near the output that may be able to benefit from some tweaking by adding some capacity and/or using a bypass. The reason we like the 3 is that it's already well voiced. I've considered playing around a bit but I kinda hate messing with something I already like and works well with my phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back