High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Jan 2, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #376 of 4,183
I don't have as much experience as some of these guys with IEM cables but from the ones I have tried the effects I have noticed are more to do with ADSR and not changes to the DB of specific frequencies. Changes in ADSR could give the perception of changes in frequency response. E.g. the slow onset and release of a bass note vs. the same note played back and disappearing quicker = tighter bass = greater perception of impact = more precision = less overshadowing other frequencies = greater transparency/separation! ADSR is a something that really effects our perception of music and I'm not sure it's easily measurable?

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #377 of 4,183
Anybody have any experience with LQi cables from the eBay seller?

Jan 3, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #378 of 4,183
That sounds like some evidence that can finally point the cable industry to the right direction. Where did you get this piece of information from?

I got shortcircuited once (by the means of the loose power cable) and that particular moment was sort of Travolta's Phenomenon moment... got a vision of the perfect molecular structure of the perfect sounding cable...

By now, the memory of it faded, so huge loss for me = huge loss for humanity....

sort of... 
beerchug.gif
o2smile.gif

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #379 of 4,183
Strong condemnation of using gold in cables by Peter @Double Helix Cables:
http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=page&id=11

Anyone agree/disagree, and why? The more I research cables, the more fascinating the topic is becoming to me!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #380 of 4,183
This is assuming conductivity is the sole influencer of all positive properties of highest quality audio!

Others have found the purity argument not to be true in practice as there are plenty reviews of high resolution cables built from alloys.

My argument and sceptism in all this is why it has to always be be precious metals like Gold and even Platinum in some cases. There are cheaper mixtures that could be used that could also produce interesting results no?

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #382 of 4,183
Yeah, From my experience, I still curious that why I feel pure copper or pure silver better than hybrid material, silver&copper or gold-plated silver cable. Despite of gold-plated silver cable is always top model of each brand.

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #383 of 4,183
Anyway, I don't think this thread should turn into a place of argument or justification of cable benefits. This was always intended as a safe haven for cable enthusiasts.

​I get your point. I actually wanted to post here because I'm far more interested in what the enthusiasts have to say than the skeptics. Enthusiasts are more open-minded, and I feel I can learn more from them than the skeptics, as there's only so many ways to say "no!" Anyway, if @f[u][color=#0066cc]linkenick[/color][/u] would like me to drop this, kindly pm me and I'm happy to delete my posts. This is a great resource and I don't want to detract from it.
beerchug.gif

Jan 5, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #384 of 4,183
Hi guys, thanks for your consideration. 

Let me clarify my position. I absolutely love cables. I love them to death.  I've had my fair share of arguments about cables in the past. Here on the forum, elsewhere, and even with Peter about the gold and whatnot.

At some point I just decided I was done. Arguments cost a lot of my energy, and neither party will ever get convinced. In the end you can discuss the matter all you like, it just comes down to actually hearing them. And unfortunately most people do not have the opportunity to do so.

So I have pretty much vowed to step back from all cable discussion. If I were the last person on earth to believe in cables, it wouldn't make me enjoy them any less. 

That being said, so far it's not really a debate as the opposing side has not joined in. So by all means feel free to discuss whatever you like, I'm as interested as any other enthusiast in these matters.

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #385 of 4,183
Jan 5, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #387 of 4,183
Could be that the gold tames the 'bright' effect of the silver, making for a more pleasant listen.

Compare to nowadays Pure OCC Silver Litz (Not 2014 below silver cables), I feel the gold-plated one has less micro-detailed or resolution than pure silver, however I can feel that the sound become smoother than pure silver, but the sound make me feel weird.
confused.gif
I think that my IEM may not the top-notch resolution models. If gold-plated one paring to top-notch resolution IEMs (for instance, Zeus), they may bring out a good matching.

Jan 6, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #388 of 4,183

So,here`s my issue with my 5 moths old gold plated copper EXO set of cables.The green is OXIDATION/ sulfation mark.I called them and they keep telling me that this is normal,while I and many of my friends believe that this may cause problems on audio quality.Either way,this is evidently a significant sign of poor build quality for a 2k dollars pair of cables.
Does anyone has experienced the same issue?
Is it normal?Does it affect the audio quality?And what do you think i should do?
THANKS

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #389 of 4,183
Compare to nowadays Pure OCC Silver Litz (Not 2014 below silver cables), I feel the gold-plated one has less micro-detailed or resolution than pure silver, however I can feel that the sound become smoother than pure silver, but the sound make me feel weird.:confused: I think that my IEM may not the top-notch resolution models. If gold-plated one paring to top-notch resolution IEMs (for instance, Zeus), they may bring out a good matching.

Yup. You could think of gold acting as an impurity here, colouring the bright silver sound. This could affect microdetails as it lessens the clarity, or by actually degrading the signal as compared to a full silver cable.

But if that were all it was about cables, then everyone would be using pure silver litz and what not. However, it isn't. The choosing of cables also takes into account other factors like sound signature. This is where all these different cables appeal to everyone, I guess.

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #390 of 4,183
Looks like your cable has adjusted (chameleon style) to your Andromeda on this pic, which you posted in the Campfire Audio thread before.

I totally agree that this shoudn't happen to such an expensive cable, it really looks bad. But I'm almost (not 100%) sure that oxidation won't influence the sq. Can't remember where I've read this in the past though...

Curious on others opinion about this oxidation vs sq issue
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back