HiFiMan RE-600 Review
Jun 20, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #706 of 902

Exactly this have happend to me too. Do you think, I can glue it together ?

I had to glue my RE-400 together, and it works now as it did before. Be careful to avoid the vents when applying the glue. Seal it up the jack hole airtight with glue to avoid air leaking from the rear cavity, which would result in a loss of bass.

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #709 of 902
There's probably a better answer out there somewhere, but as someone who's owned both, I would say they're pretty similar in extension, with the RE-600 going just a little deeper.

Does anyone know which headphone has better bass extension between the RE-600 and the TDK BA200?

Jul 1, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #710 of 902
Thanks for the reply. I'm more concerned, however, with the RE-600 lacking air and high frequency extension although I do understand that it isn't very pronounced in the treble. Also, how bad is the hiss when paired with the HM-700?

Jul 1, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #711 of 902
Thanks for the reply. I'm more concerned, however, with the RE-600 lacking air and high frequency extension although I do understand that it isn't very pronounced in the treble. Also, how bad is the hiss when paired with the HM-700?

I wouldn't say it lacks treble extension at all. Is it the airiest IEM out there, I doubt it. But it sounds clear and detailed with really no harshness to the highs. Hiss with the HM700 is very light if you aren't playing anything. If you can still hear it when music is playing, you have absolutely impeccable hearing. It's never been an issue to me.

Jul 1, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #712 of 902
That calms my nerves a little, much thanks. Just one more question regarding the hiss. Would it still not be much of an issue for listening to ambient or music that has very quiet passages in it?

Jul 1, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #713 of 902
That calms my nerves a little, much thanks. Just one more question regarding the hiss. Would it still not be much of an issue for listening to ambient or music that has very quiet passages in it?

Even with ultra-quiet stuff, I still can't pick it out at all. It's a great sounding system. Certainly won't win awards for its UI but it sounds damn good for the price.

Aug 1, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #716 of 902
Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade from the iPod Classic 6G to one of the following:

• Fiio X5 gen2
  • iBasso DX90
  • Pono Player
  • ...other?

If you've tried any two of these I'd like to hear your thoughts. My budget is between $200-$400.

Cheers! :D

Aug 1, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #717 of 902
Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade from the iPod Classic 6G to one of the following:
  1. Fiio X5 gen2
  2. iBasso DX90
  3. Pono Player
  4. ...other?

If you've tried any two of these I'd like to hear your thoughts. My budget is between $200-$400.

Cheers!
biggrin.gif

dx90 has great synergy with re-600 as the spacious & neutral sounding dx90 compliments the mid-centric re600 very well

Aug 1, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #718 of 902
Hi guys,

I just got back from demo'ing the Pono for 15 minutes at Fry's. My 8GB microSD sync'd up surprisingly fast! Here are my impressions comparing to my iPod Classic 6G line out to objective2 amp at work or headphone out on the go:

Pono Player + RE-600
  • Plenty of sub-bass, surely headphone-limited
  • Bass is more present in general vs. iPod Classic 6G line-out/headphone out
  • bass not crazy tight, a little fluffy at times
  • mids are less pronounced -- singer sounds almost as far away as drum kit.
  • upper mids a little more pronounced -- probably ok, but would like to eq that down (no EQ available)
  • middle range attack is sometimes too harsh, like there is some sibilance with every consonant hit, even without the 'sss' sound. Treble "bleeding into" mids?
  • Conventional sibilance not bad
  • Treble sounds more authentic and even -- intro guitar solo to "Spark in the Dark" wasn't ear piercing. This can be very harsh on other setups.
  • more detail overall vs iPod
  • Overall more neutral presentation (not as mid-centric)

I could see myself getting used to the presentation, just not in 15 minutes :D I wonder if any of my observations can be attributed to the relatively high output impedence of the Pono (~3.5 ohms), and thus sub-optimal damping factor with the 16-ohm RE-600s (DF=4.5 vs. recommended 8-10).

dx90 has great synergy with re-600 as the spacious & neutral sounding dx90 compliments the mid-centric re600 very well

Hey proedros, thanks for the recommendation. While I'm waiting for the next $250 Pono sale, I'll try to get my hands on a DX90 to demo. There's a chance I'll have to make a special trip to San Francisco unless someone nice nearby would let me demo theirs. As for the X5 gen2, I can imagine it's a little harder to come by.

-KF

Aug 5, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #719 of 902
I heard that getting a balanced RE-600 connected to a balanced source from Hifiman like the HM-700 or better is an amazing experience. Sounds like a completely different beast with amazing out of head soundstage and dynamics. 

Aug 6, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #720 of 902
Currently using an Ipod Classic 7G + Cayin C5 with my RE-600 and although it sounds quite good, I'm wondering if the DX90 or HM-700 would be a significant source upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back