HiFiMan RE-600 Review
Apr 27, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #691 of 902
It is hard to understand why recently it became so hard for them to combine quality of sound with built quality. I wonder if they believed nobody would notice... Or, that everyone will forgive them because we paid "little" for good sound... lol

Apr 28, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #692 of 902
The amount of bad experiences in this thread regarding the build of these IEMs is frustrating.

It hurts me to see people that say they will buy these and worse comes to worse, recable them for ~$100. There are tons and tons of other great IEMs out there!

When the Sennheiser HD598 just came out, people complained there were cracking issues at the headband. Sennheiser went ahead and took care of the problem, which now doesn't exist, because they care about their products/reputation and their customers.

After reading this thread, HiFiMaN come off as being quite self-centered and uncaring about their customers.

Apr 28, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #693 of 902
  I'm really disappointed, I had to send these back. I could not believe how flimsy they are. There's no way in the world these will last me more than a few months, at best. I'm actually still surprised that I boxed these up as quickly as I did, I think in part for fear of rationalizing why I should keep them. The icing on the cake was when the manual, specifically stated to be very careful when removing these from your ears because they could break which isn't covered under the warranty. 
confused_face(1).gif
 That was it, they're gone and I'm back to the drawing board.

Wow, after having experienced this through reading your posts, I have officially crossed these off of my list.  It is remarkable that they are still selling them.  They must be trying to clear out their inventory.  I had the HE-400's and had a terrible time with their connectors, so this on top of that leads me to cross all of Hifiman off my list.  
Get the FX850. They're a pinch over the $200 mark, but they sound like $600.  If you're a fan of smooth sound, Final Audio Design is a good pick with much better build quality.  There's a boatload of choices out there.  You've checked off only ONE from a loooooonnnnggggg list :).  
It doesn't matter how the Final Audio Design's compare to these anymore, by the way everybody.

Apr 28, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #694 of 902
yup, too bad for the build quality coz the SQ is top notch.  Mine just got both strain relievers loose, and dongle is acting up that I lose sound when jostled up.  I got this on a very good deal, compared to some options I had: IE8, SE535, FAD VI.  Do I have buyer's remorse, well no as i am enjoying the sound, and hopefully they remain working for a long time.

I will get this fixed soon, as I need IEMs in this hot summer weather.  Cant wait to pair this with a better source, laptop and android phone seems holding it back

Apr 28, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #695 of 902
  yup, too bad for the build quality coz the SQ is top notch.  Mine just got both strain relievers loose, and dongle is acting up that I lose sound when jostled up.  I got this on a very good deal, compared to some options I had: IE8, SE535, FAD VI.  Do I have buyer's remorse, well no as i am enjoying the sound, and hopefully they remain working for a long time.

I will get this fixed soon, as I need IEMs in this hot summer weather.  Cant wait to pair this with a better source, laptop and android phone seems holding it back

Don't say that, I thought I had just decided it wasn't worth trying them :p

You, of course, just HAD to mention the FAD Heaven VI's, which are a VERY sweet sounding IEM.  i know it belongs on that thread, but its relavent: what I liked about the Heaven VI:
-Warm and cozy sound
-HUGE soundstage
-Great instrument separation
-Mids that were clear as day

Of course, I may be moving to a customer IEM, but I have wanted to know how the RE-600 stands up to them.  I think these two would be an excellent side-by-side comparison and would love to hear what you have to say about it.

On a completely separate note: went to get my ear molds today, and the Audiologist began to lecture me about about how IEMs are horrible for my ears.  I walked out of there feeling like an alcoholic who's habit is slowly killing him!  I was feeling like I shouldn't be looking at anything other than listening to home speakers at low volumes :frowning2:.

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #696 of 902
Sorry, havent heard the FAD VI, so I cant compare. The RE600 too has great mids too, my first phone that really shows clear and strong vocals.  I know balanced armatures give more clarity in the mids/highs, but for a dynamic the RE600 is impressive.  I really do hope that mine's build quality holds out.

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #697 of 902
  Don't say that, I thought I had just decided it wasn't worth trying them :p

You, of course, just HAD to mention the FAD Heaven VI's, which are a VERY sweet sounding IEM.  i know it belongs on that thread, but its relavent: what I liked about the Heaven VI:
-Warm and cozy sound
-HUGE soundstage
-Great instrument separation
-Mids that were clear as day

Of course, I may be moving to a customer IEM, but I have wanted to know how the RE-600 stands up to them.  I think these two would be an excellent side-by-side comparison and would love to hear what you have to say about it.

On a completely separate note: went to get my ear molds today, and the Audiologist began to lecture me about about how IEMs are horrible for my ears.  I walked out of there feeling like an alcoholic who's habit is slowly killing him!  I was feeling like I shouldn't be looking at anything other than listening to home speakers at low volumes :frowning2:.

That's depressing. 

Maybe the Adel technology on 1964 ears is worth investing in. Still, it will take years to gather data to confirm that it is less damaging to our hearing.

Apr 29, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #698 of 902
what a pity.... if these have replaceable cables I would buy them in a heartbeat. So I guess it's not just a minority hear on head-fi complaining about the cables... seems like it's consensus that the cable on the re-600 even the newer s version is not durable??

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #699 of 902
yup, detachable cables will help these alot.  Sorry, but I am starting to regret for not getting thru that path.  My RE600's right earphone suddenly keeps losing sound.  Seems no longer the dongle's issue, as everytime the y-split gets jostled, that issue occurs.  Fortunately, I still have store warranty for 3 more months.  Hopefully, they will just outright replace these, and if they dont have any on stock, replace them with XBA A3

Jun 4, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #702 of 902
Hi. I just bought a used pair online for $100. I have the S version and wondering how similar they sound to my old JVC fxd 80's. I'm no audiophile. I run everything off of my lg g2 or my fiio x1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back