HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
May 19, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #377 of 1,779
I'd just ask Head-Direct to put the HE500 on their Amazon store and order from there... that's what I did with the HE-4 (which they actually did). It wasn't on Amazon until I asked them to put it there, lol.

May 19, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #378 of 1,779

Quote:
The DACPort should be more than enough for the HE500. 

I'm not so sure about that. Reportedly the DACMini is better than the DACPort with the LCD-2, and the HE500, while it's the easiest HiFiMAN planar to drive, is reportedly still a bit harder to drive than the LCD-2.

Quote:
Yeah, I know. There is no way in crap I'm sending my SSN over the internet.

Just give them the last four digits if they insist, they can't ask for more than that if you don't want to give it. But try to give them nothing at all.

Quote:
I'm no expert with shipping and such, but if my total invoice is $200, is that the fee I have to pay for the customs and whatnot?

I agree that you should interpret that as the declared value. I agree that they must be referring to the invoice amount from HiFiMAN.

Quote:
I'd just ask Head-Direct to put the HE500 on their Amazon store and order from there... that's what I did with the HE-4 (which they actually did). It wasn't on Amazon until I asked them to put it there, lol.

That would certainly simplify things!

May 19, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #379 of 1,779
Well, on the bright side of things, I got a response about the HE-500 pads:

"The earpads cost 5USD per earpad and 15USD shipping"

On the not so bright side, I've been researching a bit, and this whole thing might be fraud.

May 19, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #380 of 1,779
So for $25, we can get 2 ear pads... hmm.... I'm not happy about the stupid pad mechanics, but it's good to know they aren't too expensive. I'd still would want Hifiman to try and change it to some Beyer style slip on pads. It can work.

May 19, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #381 of 1,779
Good news.

Ms. T has been the most pleasant in trying to help me out. I forwarded her the mail I got from FedEx and she said she has never seen anything like that before. She also said she sent an urgent message to the shipping manager in China and also to Fang. I guess she suspects something weird as well, because this is just plain out of the ordinary. I've been reading up on similar instances with other people and they said it's basically a way for them to rip you out of every last dollar you have, and the whole process and delay is very tedious and long. So hopefully things will get squared away soon, because I am worrying way too much!

May 19, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #382 of 1,779

Quote:

I'm not so sure about that. Reportedly the DACMini is better than the DACPort with the LCD-2, and the HE500, while it's the easiest HiFiMAN planar to drive, is reportedly still a bit harder to drive than the LCD-2.

I'm sure there are going to be some improvements but what I was getting at is that the HE500 simply doesn't scale as well as the HE6 or even the LCD2. This is a double-edged sword really, on one hand it's easy to get them to sound awesome but on the other hand, it's not transparent enough to allow you to differentiate between one audio chain to another. 

May 19, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #383 of 1,779

Quote:
If you haven't heard the LCD-2, then how can you question this?  The LCD-2's are not as bright as the HE-series, but that does NOT mean they don't produce treble.  To hear some say it, they LCD's stop producing sound above 12K.  IMO, the LCD-s are better for reproducing amplified music...that's because there is no real soundstage...only what the mixer dictates, and the weighter midrange mates better with the gravely voices most often associated with Metal. 

Hence my answer.

A hint, don't assume everything you read is the way it is...try things for yourself...form your own opinions.  That includes taking mine for what they are...mine.

Please note that I said "I KINDA question this". You are quite true though. However, it is impossible for me to hear it before buying. I am only basing my conclusions by what I have read (lots of it) and compared them to my experiences with a tons of other different headphones, all trying to figure out what LCD2 sound like, what kind of tone they have and that is not exactly listener dependant attribute. IE everyone can tell Grados are bright etc...
This is the conclusion I came to after LOTS of reading. Everything I have read about LCD-2 tells me is that they are rather laidback, small soundstage or no, and by my own experience of metal (being the music I listen all the fricking time) you want ANYTHING but laidback headphones. Treble that gives you the impression of bite is important! Are they laidback or not by your experience? I AM still interested in LCD-2 although HE-500 is now in the lead.

*edit* I do realise that personal preference also play a role. So, now that you propably have an idea what is the ideal sound for me, would you recommend LCD-2 to me for metal?

May 19, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #384 of 1,779

Quote:

Is there any benefit for them to place their items on amazon like you requested? Basically does it offer any additional protection in case something goes wrong with the transaction?

May 19, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #385 of 1,779

Quote:

Please note that I said "I KINDA question this". You are quite true though. However, it is impossible for me to hear it before buying. I am only basing my conclusions by what I have read (lots of it) and compared them to my experiences with a tons of other different headphones, all trying to figure out what LCD2 sound like, what kind of tone they have and that is not exactly listener dependant attribute. IE everyone can tell Grados are bright etc...
This is the conclusion I came to after LOTS of reading. Everything I have read about LCD-2 tells me is that they are rather laidback, small soundstage or no, and by my own experience of metal (being the music I listen all the fricking time) you want ANYTHING but laidback headphones. Treble that gives you the impression of bite is important! Are they laidback or not by your experience? I AM still interested in LCD-2 although HE-500 is now in the lead.

*edit* I do realise that personal preference also play a role. So, now that you propably have an idea what is the ideal sound for me, would you recommend LCD-2 to me for metal?

Yes, I think the LCD-2's are great for Metal. 

May 19, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #386 of 1,779

Quote:
Is there any benefit for them to place their items on amazon like you requested? Basically does it offer any additional protection in case something goes wrong with the transaction?

The benefit to HifiMan is the increased audience.  The benefit to the purchaser is ease of transaction and greater protection.

May 19, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #387 of 1,779
I posted a short review here :

http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-he-500/reviews

May 19, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #388 of 1,779
Has anyone paired these with a DACmini yet? I'm becoming increasingly interested in one...

EDIT: Nice mini-review there, Skylab. Seems my faith was well placed in these headphones. Just bought my fiancee a pair of HD 598s, and after this purchase I'm pretty much cleaned out for awhile. lol

May 19, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #389 of 1,779

Quote:

I'm no expert with shipping and such, but if my total invoice is $200, is that the fee I have to pay for the customs and whatnot?

Yes, that is the declared value of the headphones for customs.  They're doing you a favor, because in Canada for example where you *always* pay a customs fee/tax on an item worth over $80, my customs fee was about $17, instead of ~$130, which is what I would really owe for a $900 headphone.  Turn that frown into a smile and be thankful.

May 19, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #390 of 1,779

Quote:
I posted a short review here :

http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-he-500/reviews

Nice Skylab...My experience matches with pretty much everything you wrote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back