HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
May 19, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #391 of 1,779
I'd still take either the 6 or 2s for absolute performance but the 500s remind me of the 2s for working well with many sources/amps.

May 19, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #392 of 1,779

Quote:
I'd still take either the 6 or 2s for absolute performance but the 500s remind me of the 2s for working well with many sources/amps.

That's pretty much what he wrote

May 19, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #393 of 1,779
I pretty much decided I don't want absolute performance anymore today. I think the 500s will be the last headphone I buy for a long time.

I'm so close to being happy to just sit and listen...So close yet so far away.

Quote:

May 19, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #394 of 1,779
Thanks for the review skylab. I trying to decide if I shouldbuy both the lcd2 and the he500. Do the he500 do better with classical than the lcd2 or any other genre. In other words, is there a reason why you would want to own both.

May 19, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #395 of 1,779

Quote:
Thanks for the review skylab. I trying to decide if I shouldbuy both the lcd2 and the he500. Do the he500 do better with classical than the lcd2 or any other genre. In other words, is there a reason why you would want to own both.

IMO, not really...I think if you want two, and you have the amp, the LCD-2 and the HE-6 make better stable-mates.  The HE-500 and the LCD-2 are almost too similar sounding to make it sensible to have both of them, IMHO.  If you are one of the people who finds the LCD-2 too "dark" (which i emphatically do not), then the HE-500 might be just enough "lighter" to warrant switching.

May 19, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #396 of 1,779
FWIW, I have both and think they compliment each other nicely. The LCD's for amplified music and the HE-500's for acoustic. I find that the better soundstage of the HE-500 makes it ideal for classical.

May 19, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #397 of 1,779
FWIW, I have both and think they compliment each other nicely. The LCD's for amplified music and the HE-500's for acoustic. I find that the better soundstage of the HE-500 makes it ideal for classical.

Which of the two do organ music better? Piano?

May 19, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #398 of 1,779

Quote:

That was what I was thinking along with the slightly better treble.

May 19, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #399 of 1,779
Quote:
Yes, that is the declared value of the headphones for customs.  They're doing you a favor, because in Canada for example where you *always* pay a customs fee/tax on an item worth over $80, my customs fee was about $17, instead of ~$130, which is what I would really owe for a $900 headphone.  Turn that frown into a smile and be thankful.

Yeah, thanks. I actually finally figured that out after talking with the Head-Direct customer support.

Unfortunately, my package arrived in Alaska today and will be held until I fax in my customs. I'll try and get to a place to do it ASAP.

May 19, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #400 of 1,779
Can someone with an EF5 do me a favor and measure the dimensions of it WITH the DY-1 (stacked, of course)?

I checked Hifiman's site, but they don't tell you if the provided dimensions include the DY-1 or not.

May 19, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #401 of 1,779
I'd like to apologize to everyone on this thread for all my crap recently. I really shouldn't have engulfed this thread with my overreacting comments, but I was (and still am a bit) extremely worried and concerned at the time. I'm glad we are finally back on track now, but I regret two pages of this thread were of generous comments directed to me. Thank you for all your input for all those who had given me support. I appreciate it, and also apologize for being a burden. But in other news, I did fax my customs to FedEx after confirming some stuff with Head-Direct customer service, I just have to wait until tomorrow to see if she accepts them. My package is currently awaiting in Alaska now, and is waiting for clearance. Fingers crossed it will all work out.

But anyway, back on track. I would love to go get those measurements for you Morbid. I'll be right back.

May 19, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #402 of 1,779

It's cool bra. A little derailment never hurt anyone.

Also, ballan'.
Quote:
I'd like to apologize to everyone on this thread for all my crap recently. I really shouldn't have engulfed this thread with my overreacting comments, but I was (and still am a bit) extremely worried and concerned at the time. I'm glad we are finally back on track now, but I regret two pages of this thread were of generous comments directed to me. Thank you for all your input for all those who had given me support. I appreciate it, and also apologize for being a burden. But in other news, I did fax my customs to FedEx after confirming some stuff with Head-Direct customer service, I just have to wait until tomorrow to see if she accepts them. My package is currently awaiting in Alaska now, and is waiting for clearance. Fingers crossed it will all work out.

But anyway, back on track. I would love to go get those measurements for you Morbid. I'll be right back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back