Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Nov 12, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #2,386 of 3,507
RE-400 is now $49 on Amazon.com. Looks like it's only for the US though 
frown.gif

http://www.amazon.com/HiFiMAn-Electronics-RE-400-HIFIMAN-HEADPHONES/dp/B00AWLEAH6?SubscriptionId=AKIAJ7T5BOVUVRD2EFYQ&tag=camelproducts-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00AWLEAH6

Enjoy!

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #2,390 of 3,507
I'm also enjoying the RE-400's, very confortable with double flanged tips, SQ is detailed and neutral with good soundstage for an IEM. At times highs are a bit bright but i'm experiencing this less with burn-in, if you believe in such things.

I am wondering if anyone has changed the filter....it appears that the extra ones that ship with the RE-4000 are the same as the ones already installed so perhaps they are just just to be used if the installed ones show wear. Is there any reason to change them at intervals if the installed ones show no visible wear? Is it easy to change them without risking damage to the IEM?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Nov 12, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #2,391 of 3,507
Some more early impressions... been A-Bing with my RE-400s and the 600 is definitely leaner with better treble energy and extension, which is the opposite of what others have reported. The 600 also has better soundstage and separation. Is it possible they've tweaked the tuning on more recent 600 production?

And does anyone have any thoughts on the balanced question I posted above. They work without the non-balanced adapter from my amp, is there any reason not to use them like that?

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #2,392 of 3,507
I'm also enjoying the RE-400's, very confortable with double flanged tips, SQ is detailed and neutral with good soundstage for an IEM. At times highs are a bit bright but i'm experiencing this less with burn-in, if you believe in such things.

I am wondering if anyone has changed the filter....it appears that the extra ones that ship with the RE-4000 are the same as the ones already installed so perhaps they are just just to be used if the installed ones show wear. Is there any reason to change them at intervals if the installed ones show no visible wear? Is it easy to change them without risking damage to the IEM?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

The extra filters are the same as the pre-installed ones,and are very very easy to replace. You have no reason to change them unless they show visible wear or get clogged.

Interesting to note that you find the highs bright.The RE400 is actually smooth and laid back up top. If they continue to feel harsh you can try some of the filter mods talked about on this thread.

Some more early impressions... been A-Bing with my RE-400s and the 600 is definitely leaner with better treble energy and extension, which is the opposite of what others have reported. The 600 also has better soundstage and separation. Is it possible they've tweaked the tuning on more recent 600 production?

And does anyone have any thoughts on the balanced question I posted above. They work without the non-balanced adapter from my amp, is there any reason not to use them like that?

Some non-balanced players do work with the TRRS jack (Cowon S9, I think is one example). There's some explanation buried in Head-fi somewhere(something to do with DMB), but I cannot be sure the same applies to your amp too.
Maybe write to HiFiMAN to find out if this has any implications.

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #2,393 of 3,507
Thanks getclikinagas. I'm still burning the RE-400's in but if highs don't smooth out a filter mod may just do the trick. I appreciate your comments..

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #2,394 of 3,507

Would you say the 600 is a worthy upgrade at $400 ? I love the 400 and ithing for an upgrade

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #2,395 of 3,507
Bought a pair of RE400a (basically RE400 + mic + start/stop button) here in China and it arrived today. Not sure why HIFIMAN doesn't make a RE400i but they assured me it would work with my iPhone (and it did). Here's a pic of it.

Nov 13, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #2,397 of 3,507
the re600 is a very nice iem, but i don't think there is an iem that costs 5 times more than the re400 and is 5 times better

i had the 300$ EQ5 and when i received my RE600 , i sold it immediately as it sounded much less lifelike compared to the re600

still you have to listen and judge for yourself if it's worth the 400$

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #2,399 of 3,507

A definite upgrade but too early to say whether worth $400.
Check out the AT IM02 though, those are also a good upgrade on the RE-400 for under $200.

Would you say the low-end of the IM02 is as good or better than the RE-400, in terms of extension, body and fullness in presentation? Not looking for basshead levels obviously, but for realistic body and weight.

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #2,400 of 3,507
Would you say the 600 is a worthy upgrade at $400 ? I love the 400 and ithing for an upgrade

At 400$ I think it is not worthy. But uh, wait a bit and see 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back