Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Nov 6, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #2,356 of 3,507
I've heard about the quality issues with the RE-400s, but are they really that bad? I've heard of cables and jacks breaking after only a couple months. It's the only thing I'm afraid will be bad about this IEM. I'll be using it on buses and while moving around a lot, and $100 is not disposable for me. I'll need these to last a year or two probably. If they are that bad, is there somewhere I could get a full recable (I have no experience soldering) where better strain reliefs and such would be added? 

Nov 6, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #2,357 of 3,507
Just ordered the RE-400, I couldn't resist the sale price. The new version seems to be better build based on what I read here and for $79 these seem to be a fantastic deal. I already have amazing studio monitors and good full size headphones, but these are my first high quality IEMs, I can't wait to hear them.

Nov 6, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #2,358 of 3,507
Just ordered the RE-400, I couldn't resist the sale price. The new version seems to be better build based on what I read here and for $79 these seem to be a fantastic deal. I already have amazing studio monitors and good full size headphones, but these are my first high quality IEMs, I can't wait to hear them.

How much longer will the deal go on? I believe I'll be buying them tomorrow, I can't do it today.

Nov 6, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #2,359 of 3,507

How much longer will the deal go on? I believe I'll be buying them tomorrow, I can't do it today.

No idea, I found out about it from this thread, the post is from Nov 3 so I bet they will be on sale tomorrow. Mine are already shipped.

HIFIMAN RE400 Sale before Black Friday: $79

http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=143

normal_smile .gif

Nov 6, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #2,360 of 3,507
  I've heard about the quality issues with the RE-400s, but are they really that bad? I've heard of cables and jacks breaking after only a couple months. It's the only thing I'm afraid will be bad about this IEM. I'll be using it on buses and while moving around a lot, and $100 is not disposable for me. I'll need these to last a year or two probably. If they are that bad, is there somewhere I could get a full recable (I have no experience soldering) where better strain reliefs and such would be added? 

I can of course only speak from my own limited experience but of the three Hifimans I've owned (1 HE-400 and 2 RE-400s) they've all had cable problems. I got one of the early RE-400s and the right channel died after a week. I eventually returned it and got one of the upgraded ones with a stronger jack. It's still going since february but having it in my pocket and moving around will produce numerous cutouts.

I like the Hifiman sound but they really have to sort out their build quality. I recommend you go for the Havis, their build quality is (comparably) rocksolid and they are a more engaging listen (that soundstage!).

Nov 6, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #2,361 of 3,507

I can of course only speak from my own limited experience but of the three Hifimans I've owned (1 HE-400 and 2 RE-400s) they've all had cable problems. I got one of the early RE-400s and the right channel died after a week. I eventually returned it and got one of the upgraded ones with a stronger jack. It's still going since february but having it in my pocket and moving around will produce numerous cutouts.

I like the Hifiman sound but they really have to sort out their build quality. I recommend you go for the Havis, their build quality is (comparably) rocksolid and they are a more engaging listen (that soundstage!).

My problem with the Havis is their impedance. I've only got an iPod Touch 4G at the moment, and may not get my FiiO X1 until after Christmas. I'm also afraid that the soundstage may be too much; I don't want my music, specifically vocals and electric guitars, to sound distant.

Nov 6, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #2,362 of 3,507
  My problem with the Havis is their impedance. I've only got an iPod Touch 4G at the moment, and may not get my FiiO X1 until after Christmas. I'm also afraid that the soundstage may be too much; I don't want my music, specifically vocals and electric guitars, to sound distant.

Ok, I wouldn't like to see you disappointed from taking my advice :) $79 for the RE-400 is a great price too, go for it! (But take well care of them)

Nov 6, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #2,363 of 3,507

Ok, I wouldn't like to see you disappointed from taking my advice :) $79 for the RE-400 is a great price too, go for it! (But take well care of them)

Thanks for your help, I'm considering the Havi still, because I'm just afraid of damaging the RE-400; I'd take it on a bus and walk around with it very frequently.

Just asked this on the Havi thread, but I'll post it here to see more opinions:

Need good help here, fast. I'll be ordering an IEM tomorrow, either the RE-400 or the B3. Problem is, I'm a student and someone will be ordering them for me during the day, and I'll be sending them the email with the link to what I want tonight. I listen to mainly rock, metal, and rap, with some jazz, classical, and film score stuff mixed in and loved the RS 180 (basically a wireless HD598) with Led Zeppelin's Kashmir. I don't want my music (mainly guitars and vocals) to sound distant though. I also only have an iPod Touch for a music player at the moment, but will be getting the FiiO X1; the problem is, that might be a few months away. I like a neutral signature where electric guitars and vocals sound clear and well pronounced without sacrificing drums. I'm a drummer so I still want to hear the drums clearly but they should never overpower anything else unless meant to. Build quality is the only thing stopping me from going for the RE-400 right away. 

Edit: I may be able to get an NX1 with the Havi, as long as it's right at or under $100, but I can't get a LOD for the iPod I don't think.

Nov 8, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #2,365 of 3,507
  What's the filter mod people are doing with the RE600? Removing it altogether or swapping it for RE272? If the latter, where are people getting the filters from.

Don't know about the others, but I removed my filters altogether and replaced them with a small amount of cotton swab. Then I used small pieces of dried alcohol swab to protect the nozzle before I put the tips back on.

The result is a RE600 with considerably better treble presence than stock, but still sounding very smooth and devoid of high frequency peaks.

Nov 8, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #2,366 of 3,507

haha no worries about that i'm using my havis off my ipod touch 4G as well! it runs find and also with your worries of the soundstage making vocals distant. the havis suffer none of that, it has a very intimate vocals despite the expansive soundstage.

here is my quick comparison between the re400 and the havi b3 pro 1 from the other thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/669510/the-new-iem-of-vsonic-vsd-3s-impression-updated-by-smailbz/3645#post_11031240

also you can also check out my full review of the havi b3 pro 1 as well, i think its almost par with the re400, with the re400s sounding warmer and an more easy going but the havis have better separation and detail retrieval especially in in the microdetails!

http://www.head-fi.org/products/havi-b3-pro-1/reviews/11563

my video review has a lot of "uhs" i apologize in advance. Still nervous in front of the camera, but working on it though! 

Nov 8, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #2,367 of 3,507
  What's an RE-400 without the generally laid-back treble (but not a bright IEM), and with better build quality, within say, 200 USD?

I have a VSonic GR07 MkII, which I feel lacks realistic fullness and weight to the overall presentation (I find the low-end lacking in body) and I find the top-end peaky and often 'hot' because of the spikes/resonances. This is after coming from studio monitors and studio headphones that I work with.

i would like to know as well! 

just for fun of course cause i love my gr07be and my re400 ( but i fear of the potential channel shorting out on my re400s) and my 1 year warranty is up! 

but i like a bright sound which is why i lean toward the gr07be!

Anyone?

Nov 9, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #2,368 of 3,507
  Thanks for your help, I'm considering the Havi still, because I'm just afraid of damaging the RE-400; I'd take it on a bus and walk around with it very frequently.

Just asked this on the Havi thread, but I'll post it here to see more opinions:

Need good help here, fast. I'll be ordering an IEM tomorrow, either the RE-400 or the B3. Problem is, I'm a student and someone will be ordering them for me during the day, and I'll be sending them the email with the link to what I want tonight. I listen to mainly rock, metal, and rap, with some jazz, classical, and film score stuff mixed in and loved the RS 180 (basically a wireless HD598) with Led Zeppelin's Kashmir. I don't want my music (mainly guitars and vocals) to sound distant though. I also only have an iPod Touch for a music player at the moment, but will be getting the FiiO X1; the problem is, that might be a few months away. I like a neutral signature where electric guitars and vocals sound clear and well pronounced without sacrificing drums. I'm a drummer so I still want to hear the drums clearly but they should never overpower anything else unless meant to. Build quality is the only thing stopping me from going for the RE-400 right away. 

Edit: I may be able to get an NX1 with the Havi, as long as it's right at or under $100, but I can't get a LOD for the iPod I don't think.

This may not be directly relevant to your immediate question, but since you're a musician like me, the only advice I can give you is that 'strictly' neutral IEMs will not satisfy you as a drummer - the natural timbre of kick drums, lower tuned toms, and even the main fundamental of snare drums (between 160 - 220 hz depending on the tuning) will lack realistic body and thickness.

The good news is, I've auditioned the RE-400 and it does not suffer from the above, because the RE-400 has a very sensibly tuned lift in the mid-bass and below (I don't remember how deep this lift extends, though). So that's one vote of confidence for the RE-400. On the downside, the RE-400 has a gently, but noticeably rolled-off and laid-back top-end that will make your favourite ride and crash cymbals sound a bit more docile and less shimmery and airy than they should. Not a major deal, but you will notice it.
I can't speak for the Havis, though. 
Again, all this coming from a musician who records, produces and mixes on a daily basis.

Nov 9, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #2,369 of 3,507

This may not be directly relevant to your immediate question, but since you're a musician like me, the only advice I can give you is that 'strictly' neutral IEMs will not satisfy you as a drummer - the natural timbre of kick drums, lower tuned toms, and even the main fundamental of snare drums (between 160 - 220 hz depending on the tuning) will lack realistic body and thickness.

The good news is, I've auditioned the RE-400 and it does not suffer from the above, because the RE-400 has a very sensibly tuned lift in the mid-bass and below (I don't remember how deep this lift extends, though). So that's one vote of confidence for the RE-400. On the downside, the RE-400 has a gently, but noticeably rolled-off and laid-back top-end that will make your favourite ride and crash cymbals sound a bit more docile and less shimmery and airy than they should. Not a major deal, but you will notice it.
I can't speak for the Havis, though. 
Again, all this coming from a musician who records, produces and mixes on a daily basis.

i have to agree for the most part, if your into drums, neutral earphones won't satisfy.

i think the re400 for the most part would fall into that category. its better than most neutral earphones because of that midbass lift but i think @TRapz would find more warmer earphones with more thump to allow for more "kick"

i think the treble would okay. like you said it will lose a bit shimmer, but i would think it would be better if your mixing and recording for long periods of time. your ears will thank you. 

now i'm no muscian, haven't picked up an instrument in over 5 years (was never good to begin with haha). but i do listen to a lot music (a bit too much, and i always like my low end)

Nov 9, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #2,370 of 3,507
Thanks for everyone's responses, I actually went ahead and ordered the Havi, NX1, and L9 LOD on Friday. I really wanted to have great soundstage as it's something that I'll really like, plus I needed as much isolation as I could get. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back