Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Jul 25, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #1,756 of 3,507
Now if only you were capable of relying solely on how stuff actually sounds.

Lol. Very good. But here's the rub - by that logic, you might as well say that as long as an iem looks ok on the charts, then it doesn't matter what it sounds like in real life. Which is clearly an arse about tit way of looking at humanity.

Coming soon to a padded cell near you:

HEADFIMINATOR 4(DRIVERS) - THE RISE OF THE GRAPHS

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #1,757 of 3,507
Seems there are plenty of people still who fail to understand one of Audio's golden rules: By simply looking at a FR graph one's sense of hearing improves dramatically — the better the graph, the more one's hearing improves.

If there had been a FR graph available for the FitEar F111 when I had it, I would not have sold it — that's been the single biggest mistake in my audio journey.

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #1,758 of 3,507
Quote:
Lol. Very good. But here's the rub - by that logic, you might as well say that as long as an iem looks ok on the charts, then it doesn't matter what it sounds like in real life. Which is clearly an arse about tit way of looking at humanity.

Coming soon to a padded cell near you:

HEADFIMINATOR 4(DRIVERS) - THE RISE OF THE GRAPHS

Every time your Golden Ears are questioned, you desperately blurt out the apocryphal story of the mythical 'objectivist' who only looks at graphs and doesn't listen to music. Again, this kind of desperation doesn't do you any favours; it simply makes it harder to take you seriously.

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #1,759 of 3,507
"I honestly don't understand why you guys bother (with) the guy. He's clearly far above us after acquiring the extrasensory skill of graph listening."

Actually no that skill isn't required since Inks said the graps look the same, except of them has less extension in the highs.

Apparently the RE-600 took 1 year and 2 months to develop, it's not illegal to be curious what they spent all that time and research on, or why astrophysics is measurable and audio isn't, how convenient!

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #1,760 of 3,507
FR is only one part of the whole story. In the app Accudio you can choose to emulate different headphones - and yes there are similarities in the sound when comparing to the original, most in how much bass, mids and treble are present but that's about it. How tight bass is and so on are dependant on different factors so you can't emulate that (dampening, shell size/form and so on). So you can't rely solely on FR. To me Sennheiser HD-800 is the most balanced headphone I heard as of yet, and still FR of it doesn't look that impressive (to me).

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #1,761 of 3,507
Every time your Golden Ears are questioned, you desperately blurt out the apocryphal story of the mythical 'objectivist' who only looks at graphs and doesn't listen to music. Again, this kind of desperation doesn't do you any favours; it simply makes it harder to take you seriously.

There is yellow stuff in my ears but it is not gold.

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #1,763 of 3,507
"FR is only one part of the whole story. In the app Accudio you can choose to emulate different headphones"

I looked it up, I'm not buying an $800 iPhone for a $5 app, is it available for PC? Which headphone did you emulate into what? So I can turn my ER-4B into an MDR-EX1000 for example, right? Or the RE-600 for that matter! Revolutionary!

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #1,764 of 3,507
"I honestly don't understand why you guys bother (with) the guy. He's clearly far above us after acquiring the extrasensory skill of graph listening."

Actually no that skill isn't required since Inks said the graps look the same, except of them has less extension in the highs.

Apparently the RE-600 took 1 year and 2 months to develop, it's not illegal to be curious what they spent all that time and research on, or why astrophysics is measurable and audio isn't, how convenient!

Why don't you just come out and say that what you really want is to transplant the ER4S' FR to a more resolving iem?

It's not going to happen, since obviously it is already the best and most accurate there is. Even the sennheiser Orpheus and SR-009 are "just different" according to the Ety CEO.

Just don't pollute threads expecting iems to all conform to your ideals

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #1,765 of 3,507
"Finally, a profound human experience doesn't come from what is perceived from the 5 senses, it comes from one's own attitude or point of view about a (perceived) thing. For example, I've been moved to tears listening to music through dirt cheap, almost disposable, audio gear at least once before."

Your secretary called, she said it was the music moving you to tears, not the sound coming out of the dirt cheap disposable whatever you were using.

Why do people buy movie tickets?

There is higher sensory information in there...

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #1,766 of 3,507
"Even the sennheiser Orpheus and SR-009 are "just different" according to the Ety CEO."

No, you just nailed the two products which are actually flatter than than my ER-4B!

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #1,767 of 3,507

False. It's the same amount of information as a bluray, only presented on a much bigger scale.

Which is funny, because that's how I hear most iems compared to the Ety line.

Since you own the ER4, try this. Eq down 2 khz by 3db, with a q of 0.5. Let me know how you like that.

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #1,768 of 3,507
Quote:
"FR is only one part of the whole story. In the app Accudio you can choose to emulate different headphones"

I looked it up, I'm not buying an $800 iPhone for a $5 app, is it available for PC? Which headphone did you emulate into what? So I can turn my ER-4B into an MDR-EX1000 for example, right? Or the RE-600 for that matter! Revolutionary!

It works to some degree. It can't match the frequency response perfectly. It can't do anything about nonlinear distortion. It can't entirely remove peaks or nulls. It relies on your earphone fit matching their earphone fit.

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #1,769 of 3,507
"Even the sennheiser Orpheus and SR-009 are "just different" according to the Ety CEO."

No, you just nailed the two products which are actually flatter than than my ER-4B!

Have you heard the Orpheus, my friend? It's a slower paced, more romantic phone. The stax is quite energetic, and lacks the mid bump. They each sound nothing alike.

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #1,770 of 3,507
It's not too obvious if indeed there is no backing behind it, who knows how youre reading that SM3 graph. Alpha is right and as it pertains to the RE400 and RE600, even the time domains are matching, I'm sure Rin can mail you all the data..

Soundstage width is not measurable as its mostly physical, but depth and most importantly, imaging is FR dependent.

Now, this can go and on, once the RE600 listening gets done in the tour, well see the bigger picture :).

This is going to sound crazy but I would have said positioning rather than imaging. Yea, I think there's a difference lol.

Higher information content = higher sensory input = more profound experience.

Yes you can perceive a TV with low contrast ratio, weak red levels and soft anti-aliasing as "most pleasant", however this fact is completely separate from the previous fact.

Profound was a terrible word choice. It undermines your understanding of the word fact.

Revelling in illiteracy isn't doing you any favours.

It's quite simple. Information enters a system and the output consists of some of that information plus noise. Quantifying information in terms of sound is trivial, where else does digital audio come from?

The problem in his statement comes from equating information accuracy to enjoyment. We only have 
some
 evidence that accuracy correlates with enjoyment (and this is on average, you can't discount the individual crazy people).

I think he was equating informational abundance technically. Don't make his statement sound better than it is. :p

"Finally, a profound human experience doesn't come from what is perceived from the 5 senses, it comes from one's own attitude or point of view about a (perceived) thing. For example, I've been moved to tears listening to music through dirt cheap, almost disposable, audio gear at least once before."

Your secretary called, she said it was the music moving you to tears, not the sound coming out of the dirt cheap disposable whatever you were using.

You sir are the king of logical fallacy, a real man of the people. Your reign shall be a long and prosperous one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back