Hifiman HM1000: Worlds first Quad PCM 1704 DAP
Apr 28, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #526 of 585
Apr 28, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #528 of 585
Apr 28, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #530 of 585
Oh yes definitely, both are great, especially through USB playing local files, however I found myself prefering the wm1a more :)
Simply a shocking conclusion, based your user name.......:smile_phones:

I have zx707 and hm1000 hymalaya, I like both for different reasons and scenarios.

Apr 28, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #531 of 585
Simply a shocking conclusion, based your user name.......:smile_phones:

I have zx707 and hm1000 hymalaya, I like both for different reasons and scenarios.
I wonder, can you use DSEE ultimate and compare the two devices? I've been wondering if the wm1am2 can outdo a modded wm1a with mrwalkman mods, because DSEE AI is pretty damn impressive, and the new gen has the new DSEE version :) ty!!

Apr 28, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #532 of 585
zx707 has a more nuanced, refined sound than red hm1k v2. i mostly stream hi-res and my 707 upscales streamed content to 24/196 already. that's before engaging any sound adjustment features. out of sound adjustment features, i haven't had great results with dsee nor with dsd remastering so far. maybe because hires streaming upscaling is engaged already. i was actually looking forward more to dsd remastering which upscales everything to dsd and worked very well on my old sony taz.

the amp section on hm1k is not very polished. not enough volume steps as well. but it does have properly implemented single ended and balanced line outs which is uncommon for portable sources. the r2r dac itself is great, with extended depth of field and microdetail texturization. properly feeds portable amps like nx7, gryphon, and korg ha-s with a clean, laid-back signal.

Attachments

• 20230428_112511.jpg
    20230428_112511.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Jul 19, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #533 of 585
I picked up one of these (HM1000) a couple of weeks ago and I am surprised this is not more popular. For the money this thing sounds really good and works reliably as a bluetooth DAC/Amp driving my Audio-Technica WP900s wonderfully. A good synergy between these two and a good value with a total cost of around $1000. Really enjoying the HM1000 right now (I mostly listen to string quartet music so your experience may differ according to what you like to listen to). I ordered a HM901R and I have an EF600 coming also so it will be fun to compare. I like this R2R sound better than Delta-Sigma and tubes. I currently own a P6 Pro and an iBasso DX320 Edition X for reference.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #534 of 585
zx707 has a more nuanced, refined sound than red hm1k v2. i mostly stream hi-res and my 707 upscales streamed content to 24/196 already. that's before engaging any sound adjustment features. out of sound adjustment features, i haven't had great results with dsee nor with dsd remastering so far. maybe because hires streaming upscaling is engaged already. i was actually looking forward more to dsd remastering which upscales everything to dsd and worked very well on my old sony taz.

the amp section on hm1k is not very polished. not enough volume steps as well. but it does have properly implemented single ended and balanced line outs which is uncommon for portable sources. the r2r dac itself is great, with extended depth of field and microdetail texturization. properly feeds portable amps like nx7, gryphon, and korg ha-s with a clean, laid-back signal.
it's a wonderful dac, so-so dac/amp combo. Use the line out and push it to a clean amp. I have my red hm1k paired with a smsl sp200 amp and it's perfect synergy. I find it a tad too bulky to take on the road with me anyway. I've tested some desktop-grade r2r dacs with the sp200 and surprisingly didn't feel they could compare to the hm1k sound (granted, they were lower-end r2r dacs). Value for money really is there for the red. And while I feel it's best used as a dac only, the fact it's portable and has a built-in amp gives it great versatility.

Jul 19, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #535 of 585
it's a wonderful dac, so-so dac/amp combo. Use the line out and push it to a clean amp. I have my red hm1k paired with a smsl sp200 amp and it's perfect synergy. I find it a tad too bulky to take on the road with me anyway. I've tested some desktop-grade r2r dacs with the sp200 and surprisingly didn't feel they could compare to the hm1k sound (granted, they were lower-end r2r dacs). Value for money really is there for the red. And while I feel it's best used as a dac only, the fact it's portable and has a built-in amp gives it great versatility.
I wonder if the HM1000 Silver Frost would sound better. I suspect the amp is the same as the Red.

Jul 19, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #536 of 585
Balanced line out is even better if you're using that. I've been using hm1k red v2 with gryphon a lot lately, excellent pairing. Gryphon has an excellent clean amp with hardware eq, while its multibit chip is very laid back. With Hymalaya chip the combo sounds more dynamic but still analog.
20230621_140051.jpg

Jul 19, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #538 of 585
I'm intrigued by your nice comments using this with my Woo WA8 amp. Anyone tried using the HM1000 fed by an iPhone with Apple Music? Also is the line out a real dedicated line out that bypasses all the preamp electronics or a fixed volume shared output with the headphone out?

Jul 19, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #540 of 585
Balanced line out is even better if you're using that. I've been using hm1k red v2 with gryphon a lot lately, excellent pairing. Gryphon has an excellent clean amp with hardware eq, while its multibit chip is very laid back. With Hymalaya chip the combo sounds more dynamic but still analog.
20230621_140051.jpg
Yes I'm using the balanced LO using a 4.4 to XLR converter jack :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back