HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Mar 3, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #2,206 of 3,445
More likely Lexar
smily_headphones1.gif
Unless the luxury carmaker enter the sd card market
wink.gif

Yes, Mike. Thank you for that. Ugh. Haha. 

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #2,208 of 3,445
I just buy a few more 128gb cards. I think battery is also a concern but I will bring one more spare battery and a backup DAP when out. This is what I do now. HM-901 (minibox) as primary and X5 as backup. I tried 802 but decided not to buy because I dont listen to pop music.
This is what bugs me now is that I cannot play dsd properly when out and about.

How many dsd files do you have man... Haha.

I usually bring an extra battery out as well but the initial battery usually lasts long enough for me depending which card or phones i use. 

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #2,212 of 3,445
I just buy a few more 128gb cards. I think battery is also a concern but I will bring one more spare battery and a backup DAP when out. This is what I do now. HM-901 (minibox) as primary and X5 as backup. I tried 802 but decided not to buy because I dont listen to pop music.
This is what bugs me now is that I cannot play dsd properly when out and about.

Just get a 8inch win8.1 tablet and stack it with your Hugo and you're set for DSD 
biggrin.gif

Seriously I'm not sure the DSD advantage really shine thru when used out and about on busy streets in Hong Kong.... but yup I'm still loading my DAP up with DSF files, what, isn't this what we head-fiers always do?!  
L3000.gif

Mar 3, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #2,213 of 3,445
Just get a 8inch win8.1 tablet and stack it with your Hugo and you're set for DSD :D

Seriously I'm not sure the DSD advantage really shine thru when used out and about on busy streets in Hong Kong.... but yup I'm still loading my DAP up with DSF files, what, isn't this what we head-fiers always do?!  :L3000:  

Good suggestion. Win8 tablet will be more useful than apple. Let me ask my coworkers what r the good ones.. Hopefully jriver will work

Mar 3, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #2,214 of 3,445
So many! No wonder the urge for a native dsd portable player. All makes sense now. =]一

Hehe,its about right maybe just two of my favorite albums are in DSD format. LoL
If I can listen to dsd more often i may learn to like those r available

Is this dsd same as highres flac which the mastering matters more?

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #2,215 of 3,445
Frankly I'd rather they spend time fixing those long standing bugs (like the first few seconds of a song being chopped) first than improving DSD playback. I'd also like to see m3u playlist support!!

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #2,216 of 3,445
Frankly I'd rather they spend time fixing those long standing bugs (like the first few seconds of a song being chopped) first than improving DSD playback. I'd also like to see m3u playlist support!!
I asked Hifiman and they said they would solve the tagging problem in the next firmware, but not the m3u issue. But they will ask the engineering team.

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #2,217 of 3,445

Agreed.  The "fade-in effect" on start of track has to be my biggest pet peeve... would really have sold it had the sound not been SOOOOOO good.  I can even forgo m3u or tagging or whatnot.  I use folder navigation anyway and I really like the fact it shows the folder.jpg (or whatever.jpg) as background pic once you entered into the folder.  I find myself missing that feature a lot on the shiny AK240 lol....

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #2,218 of 3,445
Who has compared the HM-901 to the AK240?

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #2,219 of 3,445
Mar 3, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #2,220 of 3,445
  Who has compared the HM-901 to the AK240?

Extracted from my PM reply to another 901 owner earlier:

Imho AK240 is mostly on par with 901 with the better cards (balanced/discrete/angel/minibox) in terms of technical quality and transparency/details. AK240 is more flat and has a blacker background than 901 but also a less powerful presentation.Have wider and a bit taller staging than the 901 single ended-mode cards, but less width than balanced card. Haven't got my AK balanced cable to compare balanced to balanced yet.

The AK240 signature is largely neutral without emphasis on any region and very refined. I like that it controls treble energy of various IEMs well - less spiky without losing the sparkle. Bass is deep but less impactful than 901, and mids is also neutral compared to slightly forward on 901.

All in all there is definitely NOT a big gap in absolute SQ and you pay extra really for the design and built, plus UI and wifi streaming that I didn't gave much thought when I bought this but end up using extensively to stream files on my NAS/PC when listening at home. DSD playback is also significantly better than 901 both in terms of SQ and stability but I don't have a large library so not really useful for me.

I tend to find myself liking pop, soft rock, jazz, solo instruments, light listening more on AK240, and hard rock, punk, R&B, edm, classical more on 901.

Just very brief subjective thoughts.  I'm actually spending more time critically listening to the 901 comparing the amp boards than comparing with the AK240.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back