HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Jun 9, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #196 of 3,445
Quote:
 Also note the HM-901 amp module is the "highend" model (whatever that means).

I'm getting really confused about the amp board.  According to Fang himself there are a total of 5 amp boards:
1. standard - tuned for IE800 and K3003 
2. balanced 

--- to be launched --
3. IEM - described as based on the circuitry of the balanced card but targeted for muiti-BA IEM (but when someone asked him if it would play well with FT334 and he mentioned he despise japanese items and we'd be "lucky" if it pair well.  Not sure if he's just trying to please his mainland chinese customer base or whatever that's suppose to mean!  I bet it would still word wonders for FT334 and am impatiently waiting for this)
4. U234 - high gain card with approx 6v output
5. minibox - the be-all end-all rule-em-all card 

(source: http://www2.erji.net/read.php?tid=1433688)

If Japan market gets a standard 901, and balanced 901, and an highend 901, what would this highend model means?  

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #197 of 3,445
I'm getting really confused about the amp board.  According to Fang himself there are a total of 5 amp boards:
1. standard - tuned for IE800 and K3003 
2. balanced 

--- to be launched --
3. IEM - described as based on the circuitry of the balanced card but targeted for muiti-BA IEM (but when someone asked him if it would play well with FT334 and he mentioned he despise japanese items and we'd be "lucky" if it pair well.  Not sure if he's just trying to please his mainland chinese customer base or whatever that's suppose to mean!  I bet it would still word wonders for FT334 and am impatiently waiting for this)
4. U234 - high gain card with approx 6v output
5. minibox - the be-all end-all rule-em-all card 

(source: http://www2.erji.net/read.php?tid=1433688
)

If Japan market gets a standard 901, and balanced 901, and an highend 901, what would this highend model means?  
This is why we need Jama's Factory Tour report & official information from him. Talking to Fujiya the Highend model is the balanced module (but also supports SE). I have _NO_ idea of the difference between the first two. I don't know if it helps but in terms of pricing, the base HM-901 is $1000, with std amp module is $1100, & the highend balanced is $1300.

Is it me or am I finding very little HM-901 support from Hifiman in Head-Fi? Seems all info is 2nd hand from Erji & they get direct support & info from Hifiman? Big thanks to Erji translators here BTW. Without you chaps, there'd be even less info!

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #198 of 3,445
Quote:
This is why we need Jama's Factory Tour report & official information from him. Talking to Fujiya the Highend model is the balanced module (but also supports SE). I have _NO_ idea of the difference between the first two. I don't know if it helps but in terms of pricing, the base HM-901 is $1000, with std amp module is $1100, & the highend balanced is $1300.

Is it me or am I finding very little HM-901 support from Hifiman in Head-Fi? Seems all info is 2nd hand from Erji & they get direct support & info from Hifiman? Big thanks to Erji translators here BTW. Without you chaps, there'd be even less info!

Going by your pricing it does seems the "base" model is really one without an amp board but who would want to buy that!  

Re support I'm guessing they already have their hands full at erji and trust me, you don't want to read about all those issues/rma there.  The erji community is really very very supportive to Fang.   If the same amount of ****s happen for any vendor/sponsor here on hf, it's torches and pitchforks time!

Looking forward to your sonic impression/review soon!  

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #199 of 3,445
I will try and get all the information straightened out. I will take notes. I will be like those generals that follow the north Korean leader around, always writing whatever he says, or appearing to.  lol 

Hopefully some images and clarity. 

Jun 10, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #200 of 3,445
Quote:

OK I'm listening to the HM-901 in the office right now and without the mains connected it doesn't heat up so much. So looks like it's quite specific to charging & using simultaneously.Dislikes1) There's a spinning icon on the top right which keeps going on for some time. I assume that's an automatic reindexing like the DX100? If so it's really slow in reindexing my tracks - admittedly I do have a 128GB with approx 1016 tracks (mixture of 16/44.1 -> 24/192). But my HM-901 seems to reboot at random. At first I thought it was when it finished reindexing it'd reboot but upon power up it reindexes again.2) incomplete mp3tags support means Album is almost unusable to me. I've been preferring Folder access instead3) I think I actually feel the DX100 UI is faster than the HM-901 (which means the AK100/120 is like a 911GT2RS by comparison, and any Apple iDevice to be like the Veyron).Likes1) A _VERY_ brief comparison with the DX100 after the HM-901 had a 16 hr burn-in, the soundstage does sound more expansive. I'm not willing to say it's the dual ES9018 or the amp yet. But just "overall implementation" seems to result in that noteable feature over the DX100. Oh yeah, headphones are the Rhapsodio RDB+ v1 with Headphone Lounge Silver/Gold. Also note the HM-901 amp module is the "highend" model (whatever that means).

Can you share with us how does HM-901 compare to IBasso HD-P R10 in term of sound quality?

Jun 10, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #201 of 3,445
OK I'm listening to the HM-901 in the office right now and without the mains connected it doesn't heat up so much. So looks like it's quite specific to charging & using simultaneously.Dislikes1) There's a spinning icon on the top right which keeps going on for some time. I assume that's an automatic reindexing like the DX100? If so it's really slow in reindexing my tracks - admittedly I do have a 128GB with approx 1016 tracks (mixture of 16/44.1 -> 24/192). But my HM-901 seems to reboot at random. At first I thought it was when it finished reindexing it'd reboot but upon power up it reindexes again.2) incomplete mp3tags support means Album is almost unusable to me. I've been preferring Folder access instead3) I think I actually feel the DX100 UI is faster than the HM-901 (which means the AK100/120 is like a 911GT2RS by comparison, and any Apple iDevice to be like the Veyron).Likes1) A _VERY_ brief comparison with the DX100 after the HM-901 had a 16 hr burn-in, the soundstage does sound more expansive. I'm not willing to say it's the dual ES9018 or the amp yet. But just "overall implementation" seems to result in that noteable feature over the DX100. Oh yeah, headphones are the Rhapsodio RDB+ v1 with Headphone Lounge Silver/Gold. Also note the HM-901 amp module is the "highend" model (whatever that means).

Delete all the useless files in the music u put in and you will be fine. I experienced that before.
And without that spinning circle, the 901 is about 4-5 times faster

Jun 10, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #202 of 3,445
Delete all the useless files in the music u put in and you will be fine. I experienced that before.
And without that spinning circle, the 901 is about 4-5 times faster
Pardon my stupidity...useless files as in txt, jpg, cue, & the usual one gets eith a HDTracks album, or music tracks I don't listen to?

Jun 10, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #203 of 3,445
Quote:
.... when someone asked him if it would play well with FT334 and he mentioned he despise japanese items and we'd be "lucky" if it pair well.  Not sure if he's just trying to please his mainland chinese customer base or whatever that's suppose to mean!

Ahh, Fang 'making friends' with his competitors and potential customers again, then?  [/ END Sarcasm]

I think I have finally lost interest in the 901. It showed so much promise, but it's dragged on for substantially over a year now and still no proper release or proper communication.

Alison Moyet put it rather well:

"You took your time to come back this time
The grass has grown under your feet
In your absence I changed my mind
And someone else is sitting in your seat"

Roll on Fiio X5, iBasso DX50 (and, in due course, a DX100 replacement flagship).

Jun 10, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #204 of 3,445
Ahh, Fang 'making friends' with his competitors and potential customers again, then?  [/ END Sarcasm]

I think I have finally lost interest in the 901. It showed so much promise, but it's dragged on for substantially over a year now and still no proper release or proper communication.

Alison Moyet put it rather well:

"You took your time to come back this time

The grass has grown under your feet

In your absence I changed my mind

And someone else is sitting in your seat"

Roll on Fiio X5, iBasso DX50 (and, in due course, a DX100 replacement flagship).

What is your opinion of iBasso HD-P R10 against HM-901? Which is a better choice in term of sound quality?

Jun 10, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #206 of 3,445
Quote:
delete everything but the music files. That will prevent all the bad things from happening, speed up the device too

Cheers...just done that. I'll see how fast it boots up next time. The HM-901 is charging now. Today I had it running about 6 hrs before it went flat. So at least for my tracks (mixture of 24/192 to 16/44.1) that seems to be the battery life I'm getting with mine.

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #207 of 3,445
Quote:
What is your opinion of iBasso HD-P R10 against HM-901? Which is a better choice in term of sound quality?

Sorry, I don't own either of these players (I did have a DX100 which sounded bl00dy brilliant
L3000.gif
 )

Frankly, I've given up any hope of ever owning a HM-901, since I'm one of the international customers Fang doesn't seem to give a damn about...

Jun 10, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #208 of 3,445
You and me both! Gave up on the 901 and went with a tera...

Hifiman screwed the pooch on this one IMO... If it takes you three plus years to launch a device and the buttons can't even stay on, well, doesn't seem promising...

The lack of communication on the international front is the truly galling aspect of this... How hard is it to keep a blog or otherwise update people on progress!?

Jun 10, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #209 of 3,445
Quote:

Cheers...just done that. I'll see how fast it boots up next time. The HM-901 is charging now. Today I had it running about 6 hrs before it went flat. So at least for my tracks (mixture of 24/192 to 16/44.1) that seems to be the battery life I'm getting with mine.

Any reason that your HM-901 only last for 6 hrs?
If I'm not mistaken the published spec for HM-901 is at least last for 8 hours when fully charged.

Jun 10, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #210 of 3,445
Quote:
You and me both! Gave up on the 901 and went with a tera...

Hifiman screwed the pooch on this one IMO... If it takes you three plus years to launch a device and the buttons can't even stay on, well, doesn't seem promising...

The lack of communication on the international front is the truly galling aspect of this... How hard is it to keep a blog or otherwise update people on progress!?

Built quality/firmware issues aside, it seems the availability had improved and at least we're start to see people outside of China like Anakchan getting it.  I would rather they trial it first with their local fans before shipping to the more critical bunch of headfiers worldwide.  Afterall I still want to see more company success in this space so we get more choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back