HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Nov 21, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #1,591 of 3,445
So I just received my RMA HM-901 from ACGears today. The first one they sent out to me, the box was opened and missing the charger and USB link cable, also the unit seemed used with some slight scratching. Obviously I wasn't going to accept that so I decided to return it and get a new one. Unfortunately at that time, HiFiMan decided to resend all of its remaining stock at its retailers so I had to wait 1 1/2 months for the new ones to be released. So as you could imagine, I was very eager to get a 901 back in my hands. 

So when I opened the box everything looked good. Box seemed new, device seemed new, and the accessories were all included. BUT, as soon as I tried to play music no sound. I thought maybe it was due to the TRRS terminated cable for my SE5, so I tried some other earphones... nothing. Is there something I'm missing? It came preloaded with the latest 1.082 FW, so it is up-to-date. I also tried various gain settings and of course restarted it. Nothing seems to be working. Is my device DOA? Honestly, the first time around I didn't really even get to play with the 901 before I decided to send it back so I'm still new to the operation of the 901 in general. I don't feel like I missed anything, but maybe I did. Anyone experience this problem, or have any advice before I call ACGears tomorrow and give them an earful? 

Nov 21, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #1,592 of 3,445
Check if the amp module is, inserted properly. I think mine wasn't (or it popped out) & I just had to clip it back in tightly/snuggly.

Nov 21, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #1,594 of 3,445
Check if the amp module is, inserted properly. I think mine wasn't (or it popped out) & I just had to clip it back in tightly/snuggly.

Just a thought - did it come with an amp card installed?

LOL - Thank you both. 
redface.gif

Seems like I was mistaken that the $999 from ACGears came with the "standard" amp card. Frank was right, it didn't have an amp card installed. Wow... I feel dumb. Thanks again for the help, I've installed the balanced card that I purchased along with the 901 and am now enjoying the tunes. 
beerchug.gif

Nov 21, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #1,595 of 3,445

LOL - Thank you both. 
redface.gif

Seems like I was mistaken that the $999 from ACGears came with the "standard" amp card. Frank was right, it didn't have an amp card installed. Wow... I feel dumb. Thanks again for the help, I've installed the balanced card that I purchased along with the 901 and am now enjoying the tunes. 
beerchug.gif

I'm glad that's all it was!  Enjoy!

Nov 28, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #1,598 of 3,445
I got the new battery. Will see how it tests out. 

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #1,603 of 3,445
Anybody using it as a desktop DAC with a usb to spdif converter?
My plan was to eventually get the dock, if it ever comes out, to be able to use it at home with my laptop and desktop headamp and on its own when out. 
I might get an Hiface 2 or another cheap converter in the meantime.

I have been using the IEM card for few weeks and didn't feel like switching back to the balanced one to be frank. With iems it is just very slighlty more detailed and spacious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back