HiFiMAN HM-801 Portable Player / DAC Review: Part One of Two
May 15, 2009 at 10:03 AM Post #76 of 625
Interesting gizmo, and consider me interested. However, it has no digital output, right? If so, no digital outs = fail. No matter how good the PCM1704 is, a hi-fi DAP's usability will be massively enhanced if it can be used as a portable digital transport.

May 15, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #77 of 625
No digital output, mediocre at best battery life, high price considering this economy, all point to an emphatic NO for me.

May 15, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #79 of 625
Very interesting, but if no eq, no gapless, no rockbox, suck battery life = probably not for me
tongue.gif

May 15, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #80 of 625
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting gizmo, and consider me interested. However, it has no digital output, right? If so, no digital outs = fail. No matter how good the PCM1704 is, a hi-fi DAP's usability will be massively enhanced if it can be used as a portable digital transport.

That was what I was thinking! But, I didn't want to be so blunt, lol

May 15, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #81 of 625
I HAVE ONE QUESTION:

Is this player going to be limited edition/limited quantity? I would prefer to be able to still buy it new from Head-Direct 10 years from now (in other words, can you please make this a permanent product?). Do that, and I WILL buy this once I graduate college (sophomore in high school right now). I don't like buying used things. It triggers my anxiety issues for some stupid reason.

Also, to those worrying about memory and battery life:
-battery is replaceable. bring a spare if needed.
-memory uses SD cards. bring tons with you.

May 16, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #82 of 625
True Audiophile No-Compromise Quality Audio.

Reasonably sized.

Removeable Battery.

Removeable and Expandable Memory.

Functions as an external DAC and USB DAC.

Built in Modular High Quality Amp.

Yes, please. I will buy one of these. Price is perfect considering what it's bringing to the table. The HiFiMan is not a mass market product, thankfully. Penny pinchers look elsewhere. iPod worshippers look elsewhere. Low end headphone users look elsewhere.

-Ed

May 16, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #83 of 625
everybody, just go elsewhere
normal_smile .gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True Audiophile No-Compromise Quality Audio.

Yes, please. I will buy one of these. Price is perfect considering what it's bringing to the table. The HiFiMan is not a mass market product, thankfully. Penny pinchers look elsewhere. iPod worshippers look elsewhere. Low end headphone users look elsewhere.

-Ed

May 16, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #84 of 625
wouldnt it be wiser to just make a rockbox powered module that has a clean output and decent controls that plugs in to your favorite portable amp ?
much simpler to construct and will offer more feathers and customization.

May 16, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #85 of 625
All this talk of rockbox makes me laugh.

How exactly would a manufacturer go about implementing a firmware for hardware they have designd when the firmware is written for hardware on a purely open source and voluntary basis?

I think the fact this player doesn't have rockbox is the lamest weakest criticism this player can attract.

If you want rockbox on it, how about buying one and donating it to the project then waiting however long it takes for someone to want to look into it, do all the necessary work and get it to a standard suitable for a commercial release?

May 16, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #86 of 625
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All this talk of rockbox makes me laugh.

How exactly would a manufacturer go about implementing a firmware for hardware they have designd when the firmware is written for hardware on a purely open source and voluntary basis?

I think the fact this player doesn't have rockbox is the lamest weakest criticism this player can attract.

If you want rockbox on it, how about buying one and donating it to the project then waiting however long it takes for someone to want to look into it, do all the necessary work and get it to a standard suitable for a commercial release?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5685629-post46.html
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5686524-post49.html

May 16, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #87 of 625
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wouldnt it be wiser to just make a rockbox powered module that has a clean output and decent controls that plugs in to your favorite portable amp ?
much simpler to construct and will offer more feathers and customization.

The point here is having the whole thing in one box only... there will be different amp modules to taylor the sound to you preference.

May 16, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #88 of 625
And also the amp module interface will be published so established amp makers could if they choose make an amp module that would fit in the unit. The whole idea is very interesting but there are too many things not to my liking for me to get one.

May 16, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #90 of 625
Looks interesting.

jude, can you take some close-ups and include them in your Part Two review? Maybe include shots with the iPods as reference scales. The Head-Direct images are too small and look like artist renditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back