= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =
Jan 18, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #31 of 1,710
Alright so after rereading the tutorial a few times and better analyzing the pads themselves, I have a much better understanding of how to do this.

I have a couple of questions though. After you cut the holes on the pad, doesn't covering them with the plastic mounting sort of negate that? Since you're covering the holes you cut anyway? Same thing if you decide to glue the dust screen back.

And lastly I see no sign of the plastic stopper which sits between the pad and the dust screen. Did you remove that too?

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #32 of 1,710
Really cool mod Jerg.  Thanks for the write-up.  I can't wait to give this a try myself.  Just one question though, it seems like you feel the more holes the better, am I right?  If that's the case, couldn't you just enlarge the preexisting holes to allow even more of the inner foam to be exposed?  Maybe it would be a bit easier/allow for more damping. Kind of like this crappy drawing...

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #33 of 1,710
Great job, Jerg.. appreciate the detailed guide/pics, too.  I'll try the mod this weekend.  I've got a handy Dremel drill which should make drilling the holes easy and clean.  I'll add pics here, of course.

I've got the J$ pads coming too, so I can provide sonic comparisons with them (and the stock velours I'm using now).

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #34 of 1,710
I'm going to give this a shot, but I don't like the idea of naked drivers (well, maybe on the road).  Does anyone have any suggestions what material I could use instead that would serve as an effective dust shield but be acoustically transparent?

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #36 of 1,710
Is it really necessary to take the dust protection off the pads? Does it really improve the sound? 

Does the same apply to the velour pads?

I've already, very reluctantly, done the grill mod. I don't want to take off another dust protection if i don't need to.

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #37 of 1,710
Great job, Jerg.. appreciate the detailed guide/pics, too.  I'll try the mod this weekend.  I've got a handy Dremel drill which should make drilling the holes easy and clean.  I'll add pics here, of course.

I've got the J$ pads coming too, so I can provide sonic comparisons with them (and the stock velours I'm using now).

I am very interested in your comparisons. I have some J$ pads installed right now and I think they sound better than the velours. Unfortunately I don't have a second set of pleathers to try this mod but I'm also not willing at least right now to give up the comfort of the J$ pads lol

I'm going to give this a shot, but I don't like the idea of naked drivers (well, maybe on the road).  Does anyone have any suggestions what material I could use instead that would serve as an effective dust shield but be acoustically transparent?

Just use regular nylon stocking that women wear to fashion a filter. It will be very transparent, like its not even there. Even more transparent than the velour nylon.

Is it really necessary to take the dust protection off the pads? Does it really improve the sound? 

I've already, very reluctantly, done the grill mod. I don't want to take off another dust protection if i don't need to.

Apparently the filters shape the sound considerably. The pleather filter is thicker which bring down the harshness of the highs while the velour nylon is more transparent helps increase the treble energy. Part of the reason the velours give you better detail. After doing the J$ pad mod I think just a regular nylon stocking is best. It's the most transparent..... but different strokes for different folks.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #38 of 1,710
Well, i just did the mod.

Had a hard time cutting the pad. It didn't look very pretty.

Is it really neccessary to cut all the holes spaced evenly? Because i'm not sure i did that right. Probably screwed it up.

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #39 of 1,710
Quote:
Alright so after rereading the tutorial a few times and better analyzing the pads themselves, I have a much better understanding of how to do this.

I have a couple of questions though. After you cut the holes on the pad, doesn't covering them with the plastic mounting sort of negate that? Since you're covering the holes you cut anyway? Same thing if you decide to glue the dust screen back.

And lastly I see no sign of the plastic stopper which sits between the pad and the dust screen. Did you remove that too?

Previous to the mod, the pleather pads are a very closed system; by removing the flap and adding holes, sound reverberating inside the opening when you wear the headphones could escape both through the cracks on the side (since the flaps are now gone) and get absorbed into the damping holes. The mounting ring does physically block some of the holes but it's not an airtight block, so sound waves still propagate. I have tried this without the mounting ring and the sound sucks.

You mean the foam insert? Read the fineprint outlined by ** ** in the Preface section of my writeup.

Quote:
Really cool mod Jerg.  Thanks for the write-up.  I can't wait to give this a try myself.  Just one question though, it seems like you feel the more holes the better, am I right?  If that's the case, couldn't you just enlarge the preexisting holes to allow even more of the inner foam to be exposed?  Maybe it would be a bit easier/allow for more damping. Kind of like this crappy drawing...

You COULD of course do that, I'd worry about the longterm longevity of the pads though. You want the foam to be held inside the pad, doing this might over time cause the earpad foam to deform and/or bulge out even.

As long as you add the holes thoroughly, the effects should be just as good as cutting those huge holes.

Quote:

Yes, transplant the velour dust screens 
evil_smiley.gif
 Those are way more transparent than the pleather ones so they'd have less of a change on the sound.

Quote:
Oh, a question for Jerg .... didn't you say you have a grill mod on your HE500s?  Doesn't this mean my results may not be the same (or even desirable) on my non-grill modded phones?

I answered this earlier, the grill mod's effect on the overall sound is EXTREMELY subtle, compared to the scope of how this earpad mod attenuates the sound. They won't interfere. It's like saying if taking some vitamin C is going to interfere with anabolic steroids.

Quote:

The mod would be useless with the velour pads, since those are already very well (maybe too well) damped, as reverberating sound escapes through the velour fabric naturally. The reason why you don't even want to bother with velour pads is, they don't have the nice dark meaty tonality that the pleathers have, so no matter how you mod it, it won't sound as nice as the pleathers. The pleathers on the other hand can be built upon and the sky's the limit.

Well, i just did the mod.

Had a hard time cutting the pad. It didn't look very pretty.

Is it really neccessary to cut all the holes spaced evenly? Because i'm not sure i did that right. Probably screwed it up.

Cut the holes spaced at least somewhat evenly, doesn't have to be symmetric even, but at least asymmetric even. If a side feels like the holes are less, then either enlarge those holes or squeeze a couple more holes there.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #40 of 1,710
A song that shows off the airiness and syrupy-loungeness simultaneously with Jergpag:

(I promise I won't post any more links in Jergpad thread)

Ever so slight sibilance at one singing portion but I think it's the recording, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY female vocals have never sounded more directly 'injected' into my ears than now.

My modded pleathers are SUPER fragile since my ring-to-pad solution aint great but I find that keeping it in the clamp position when not using them (smushing earpad against earpad instead of just open and apart) is helping.

I did a sloppy job (but the best I could with what I had at 2 am) cutting the holes but as long as every section looks relatively abundant with mid, outer, and lower holes in between the 4 ones that are already on there, the sound should be about the same.

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #41 of 1,710
Quote:

"Low-fidelity hearing" is both a blessing and a curse 
tongue.gif
 Velour and pleather are radically different to my ears, polar opposites, really. Bright vs dark, light vs heavy, clean vs lush, open vs closed.

I'm  somewhere in between, but the diffs are def there. But I don't think we are talking about more than 2dB anyway between pleather and velour? Anywayz, Jerg get a new amp! I bet the difference will be at least as big as with the mod :p And it is only some 500$

Anything to see (cosmetics) when all is assempled?

EDIT: Sell your HE-400 and buy an amp :p

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #42 of 1,710
ALERT 240p = Very bad audio

EDIT: @Jerg What do you think about the stock pleather upper midrange. I seem to be annoyed by too much upper midrange in some recordings. Some kind of 'glare' as you might have mentioned already

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #43 of 1,710
I hope more people give this mod a shot, it's quite nice.

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #44 of 1,710
I will some time :p

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #45 of 1,710
Quote:
ALERT 240p = Very bad audio

EDIT: @Jerg What do you think about the stock pleather upper midrange. I seem to be annoyed by too much upper midrange in some recordings. Some kind of 'glare' as you might have mentioned already

The glare is not "too much upper midrange", it is "too much ringing in the upper midrange" due to the lack of damping with unmodded pleathers. With proper damping introduced i.e. this mod, the real upper midrange is presented and it is very natural and nonfatiguing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back