= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =
Nov 19, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #1,697 of 1,710
Hmmm, I wonder if this is applicable to the brainwaves HM5 angled pads that I use now for my HE-400

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #1,698 of 1,710
Just bought the Focus pads for my HE-500's. Being perfectly honest I can't hear any difference between these and the the original velour pads that were on them. I can understand if people do due to the angular shape of the pads meaning they bear similarity to Audeze's where the sounds is more directed into the ear and thus less of the sound is altered by bouncing against the actual internals of your ear, but I can't distinguish a difference.
So for the ~$35 I paid to get them shipped from China to the UK you'd think I'd be upset, but mannnnn, these pads are the best upgrade ever in terms of comfort, for that alone they are worth the cost, they push against the head so much more softly compared to the original velour pads which had a bit of rigidity to them and wouldn't squash so much.
The surrounding velour also makes for a very soft touch against the side of the head as I think it distributes the clamping force better around the ear as they have a slightly more square shape than he velour pads which are semi-circular.
I think it's definitely worth it in the long run for those that are "okay" with the comfort of their current headphones but wouldn't mind them being a bit more comfortable.

Just my £0.02

Jan 26, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #1,699 of 1,710
  Hmmm, I wonder if this is applicable to the brainwaves HM5 angled pads that I use now for my HE-400

Well, after making a few modifications, I think there may be an improvement here (or strong placebo).

Mar 15, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #1,700 of 1,710
Can anyone compare the modded Jergpads with the Focuspads, Focus A pads and Brainwavz angled pads on the HE400?  I'm currently sporting the modified Jergpads (modulor's work) but wondered about the Brainwavz pads for when the Jergs wear out.  

Aug 3, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #1,701 of 1,710
I did Jergpad v2.0 mod for HE400, and I'm highly impressed by sound. I previously used Shure SRH1440 velour pads just because comfort. I thought they weren't too much different sounding from original Hifiman velours, but overall I didn't quite feel sound was at it's full potential that HE400 could deliver. Now with Jergpad modded pads, I think HE400 are pretty close to their full potential of sound, not that I had experience of best-ever-setup with HE400, but to my ears HE400 are now on top of their sound, at least so far. Simply fantastic. Thank you Jerg for your work, I'm very satisfied with sound now.

Aug 3, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #1,702 of 1,710
Rumor has it that Jerg was abducted by aliens. They have him modifying ear pads on the Darkside of the Moon while listening to Pink Floyd..

Oct 26, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #1,706 of 1,710
Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #1,707 of 1,710
Thanks mate.

Aren't those the standard ones that come with the he500 or no?
No worries. As standard the HE-500s come with one set of pleather pads and one set of velour.
You can actually buy the focus pads from Hifiman's official store too (https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/focuspad.html) if you wanted to. I personally have bought them from Amazon and eBay before and they were both the same quality stuff.

Oct 26, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #1,708 of 1,710
Re: HE-500 I've got the pleather, velour, and focus, and none of them get used anymore after I came to realize the improvement using the Ether Flow Angled. Flatter frequency response, much better focus, wider and deeper soundstage. They are expensive for the 4** models but if your 500 is one of your go too's check it out.

Oct 27, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #1,709 of 1,710
Re: HE-500 I've got the pleather, velour, and focus, and none of them get used anymore after I came to realize the improvement using the Ether Flow Angled. Flatter frequency response, much better focus, wider and deeper soundstage. They are expensive for the 4** models but if your 500 is one of your go too's check it out.

hmm interesting..

i was thinking thinking of trying this version of leather

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...&terminal_id=92cbea2b773e4013a24f6b32801a8123

Nov 9, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #1,710 of 1,710
Don't think you can get a hold of the *official* Jerg ones. But the closest thing to them is the focus pads which you can get from here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Upgrade-...-500-560-HE-4-6-5-5LE-Headphones/251638883826

I think you mean the Focus A pads. (Or focus pads A)
Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-lis...0?ie=UTF8&condition=all&qid=1541814981&sr=8-2

Hifiman:
https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/focuspad-a.html
I think the link was for some third party version, just not the real thing. The A pads have the perforated/mesh inside material which mimic the perforated interior ring on the Jerg pads.
These came on the very early HE 560 models. The pre-production ones with the real wood ring forming the body. Hifiman had worked with Jerg and the thought then was that those pads were mass produced knockoffs of the Jerg pad. They changed to the Focus pads for production. Then, due to popular request, they brought back the early pads as the FOCUS A version as an option.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back