Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jul 15, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #5,072 of 14,727
[@]mixx[/@] were you using the Tarus's balanced or SE output?

Jul 15, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #5,073 of 14,727
mixx were you using the Tarus's balanced or SE output?

It was balanced. I really love the Vega/Taurus, it is the best I have heard with my LCD3F. I wouldn't get it for the HEK from what I heard though, the WA5 was way ahead, it would need more investigation. The Taurus was very competitive with the LAu, the LAu made the vocals more clear and it had a more larger open type sound but slightly warmer maybe. Hard to tell at this stage if its a burn in issue or if the HEK is just very picky.

Jul 15, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #5,074 of 14,727
... With better source gear, for example, it became very clear that the HE1000 is a superior headphone to the HD800 in almost every aspect, while with mediocre source (I tried using the AK240 and AK380), the HE1000 sounded closer to the LCD-3 to me and the advantage in transient response simply isn't there - also in that case, the high frequency details of the HD800 become more prominent, making it sound like having more details than the HE1000. But it does not.

bollocks

Jul 15, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #5,075 of 14,727
Jul 15, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #5,077 of 14,727
Not just you
wink.gif
we're several people to share the same impressions. I returned it as well. I've no real use of a 3000$ headphone that smoothen everything even when the recording does not need that treatment. I compared abyss, he-6 ,sr009 and hd800 to the he1000. Even if I can understand how and why the he1000 could please to a lot of people, I strongly disagree that it outperforms the listed flagships. Even with gazillon hours of break in or miracle amps. YMMV.

Thanks for this.

Jul 15, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #5,078 of 14,727

It was balanced. I really love the Vega/Taurus, it is the best I have heard with my LCD3F. I wouldn't get it for the HEK from what I heard though, the WA5 was way ahead, it would need more investigation. The Taurus was very competitive with the LAu, the LAu made the vocals more clear and it had a more larger open type sound but slightly warmer maybe. Hard to tell at this stage if its a burn in issue or if the HEK is just very picky.

was this with stock tubes on the WA5?

Jul 15, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #5,079 of 14,727
Shoot, why an I bothering with portable amps, dacs, DAPs, all the Head-Fi Chazerei! Have a fine high end set up in the living room, Preamp duties handled by the Peachtree GrandPre, which also has a well reviewed dac, and a headphone amp which, according to the Moon Audio review, is capable of driving the HE-6 (don't have one to confirm this). Analog is handled by a Linn LP12/Ittok/Lyra cartridge, with all the suspension and power supply upgrades. Phono pram is rubbed Pro-ject Tube Box S. My headphone conversion was basically about freedom from the tyranny of the "sweet spot", the ability to lie in bed, go for a walk, BE ANYWHERE ELSE and listen to high fidelity music. Well, I broke down, plugged the HEK into the Peachtree and put on some LPs. Pulled out an album I found in London by Omer Avital, then a Mosaic reissue of Jim Hall/Paul Desmond recordings, then Lee Morgan's The Procrastinator. Man, o man, o man, these freaking headphones are absolutely awesome sounding, more awesome sounding than I thought they were, by a lot, and I ALREADY thought they were awesome sounding. Scaling up,indeed!
going to be hard to go back to the regular headphone gear...but, fight tyranny we must!!!!!

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #5,080 of 14,727
my initial thoughts with the he-1000 are - euphonic with an excellent soundstage and great bass.

Normally, you seem to need headphones that are at least slightly etched in the treble to get directional cues, large soundstage and directional accuracy.

Via the large diaphragm (I think) the he-1000 can derive a large and accurate soundstage, articulate imaging, while being smooth and completely non fatiguing.

I am listening via Chord 2 qute>violectric 281>balanced he-1000. The headphones I own and listen to regularly are Stax 009, He-60 from an srm 717, and a Fostex th 900 and Audeze Lcd XC from the v281.

These are #2 after the Stax, however, they provide a level of euphony that doesn't exist from the Stax. They have the best bass qualit to quantity ratio of any of my headphones - and fall short in overall bass quantity only to the th-900' but the bass is plenty and more accurate.

In regards to the 009 - I prefer to listen to string quartets or acoustic guitar from the Stax - but I played some movie scores and symphonies and while the Stax is certainly excellent and just so freaking accurate - the he1000 draws me in, with transparency that's close but a euphonic sound that just keeps me wanting to listen.

Secondarily, I am shocked these headphones are so big and so comfortable at the same time. The velour pads really feel luxurious.

My only criticism is to build quality for $3000. It falls a little short. Not that the headphones are not durable, but the metal polish and woodwork could be slightly improved. My lcd Xcs are a tank, and this feels like a Miata.

That said I like these headphones better. The styling is great - they just need to have an exceptional finish to the wood and metal in my opinion, for the price.

Most importantly, on sound quality alone - they are definitely worth the ask.

Andrew

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #5,081 of 14,727
I'm enjoying some delicious bourbon while breaking in my he1000.

Wife is on a business trip.

DOES IT GET BETTER THAN THIS! :tongue:

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #5,082 of 14,727
Apologies for the typos and one word turns into many more words.

I'm enjoying some delicious bourbon while breaking in my he1000.

Bourbon speeds the burn-in process, so I am told:wink:

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #5,084 of 14,727
Shoot, why an I bothering with portable amps, dacs, DAPs, all the Head-Fi Chazerei! Have a fine high end set up in the living room, Preamp duties handled by the Peachtree GrandPre, which also has a well reviewed dac, and a headphone amp which, according to the Moon Audio review, is capable of driving the HE-6 (don't have one to confirm this). Analog is handled by a Linn LP12/Ittok/Lyra cartridge, with all the suspension and power supply upgrades. Phono pram is rubbed Pro-ject Tube Box S. My headphone conversion was basically about freedom from the tyranny of the "sweet spot", the ability to lie in bed, go for a walk, BE ANYWHERE ELSE and listen to high fidelity music. Well, I broke down, plugged the HEK into the Peachtree and put on some LPs. Pulled out an album I found in London by Omer Avital, then a Mosaic reissue of Jim Hall/Paul Desmond recordings, then Lee Morgan's The Procrastinator. Man, o man, o man, these freaking headphones are absolutely awesome sounding, more awesome sounding than I thought they were, by a lot, and I ALREADY thought they were awesome sounding. Scaling up,indeed!
going to be hard to go back to the regular headphone gear...but, fight tyranny we must!!!!!

That feeling that you got when you plugged your HEK into your Peachtree of breathless awe is the same feeling I got when I added my HiFiMAN EF-6 amp AND Schiit Bifrost Uber DAC... needed both for breathlessness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back