Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
May 7, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #3,526 of 14,743
First I've heard about treble roll-off. Given HiFiMans other offerings I'd be quite surprised to see treble roll off. If anything I've heard the treble is a teensy bit splashy, without being annoying (speculated reason was the very fast transient response helped ameliorate the issue).

Yeah it would surprise me a lil as well if the he1k's were on the darker side. Still I saw the video where the gent sitting next to jude commented that the treble was missing a bit and for sure I have seen lots of peeps comment on the bass. Kind of Audeze's thing but you never know the he-1k might be slightly dark.

May 7, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #3,527 of 14,743

First it needs to power the headphones to the volume of your liking, that fits your music - say if you listen to music with high dynamic range you'd need +30 dB headroom from your normal listening volume. For the HE-1000, at least 1W into 35 ohms is optimal for that.

This is a quick calculator for a good estimate on the power you'd need to reach various peak SPL.
http://www.digizoid.com/headphones-power.html

And then it depends if you're after neutrality, an amp that plays to the HE-1000's strengths or a an amp that will counter some of its characteristics. So this basically means it needs to sound good to you.

Thanks!

So if I choose a typical peak volume of say 115 dB, do I then add the 30 dB headroom to that? Or do I add it to a "normal" volume, and if so, how much lower is that than 115 dB?

1W into 35 ohms gives 120 dB on that digizoid calculator, so if that has the 30 dB headroom in it, then a "normal" listening volume might be 90 dB.  Did I get that right?

So then if I compare the Mjonir amp, which puts 8 W into 32 ohms, and which at least one person says is NOT good for planar magnetics earlier in this thread, to the Beta 22, which puts 5.6W into 32 ohms and which several folks says seems to be a good candidate for the HE-1000, then it is not just the power into 32 ohms.  Is there another spec that captures the difference between the Mjonir and the Beta 22?

Thanks!

May 7, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #3,528 of 14,743

Thanks!

So if I choose a typical peak volume of say 115 dB, do I then add the 30 dB headroom to that? Or do I add it to a "normal" volume, and if so, how much lower is that than 115 dB?

1W into 35 ohms gives 120 dB on that digizoid calculator, so if that has the 30 dB headroom in it, then a "normal" listening volume might be 90 dB.  Did I get that right?

So then if I compare the Mjonir amp, which puts 8 W into 32 ohms, and which at least one person says is NOT good for planar magnetics earlier in this thread, to the Beta 22, which puts 5.6W into 32 ohms and which several folks says seems to be a good candidate for the HE-1000, then it is not just the power into 32 ohms.  Is there another spec that captures the difference between the Mjonir and the Beta 22?

Thanks!

Yes, it's added to your normal listening volume. 115dB is a good peak for normal listening volumes for high dynamic range stuff. It's +30 dB from 85dB SPL, the highest average for hearing safety. 

Yes, you got it.

No, the rest is honestly captured from listening to the amps but generally high current is good for planars. I don't know the Mjonir in detail so maybe it can be translated from its design choices.

May 7, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #3,529 of 14,743

First it needs to power the headphones to the volume of your liking, that fits your music - say if you listen to music with high dynamic range you'd need +30 dB headroom from your normal listening volume. For the HE-1000, at least 1W into 35 ohms is optimal for that.

This is a quick calculator for a good estimate on the power you'd need to reach various peak SPL.
http://www.digizoid.com/headphones-power.html

And then it depends if you're after neutrality, an amp that plays to the HE-1000's strengths or a an amp that will counter some of its characteristics. So this basically means it needs to sound good to you.

1W into 35Ohms is 120dB for HE-1K. To me that is the level where I put the upper limit as far as power output goes. Anything beyond that will just go unused.

May 8, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #3,531 of 14,743
  I haven't heard much talk about the Beta22 lately. It seemed very popular about 7 years ago, but many other newer amps seem to have eclipsed it completely in the last few years.
Just my impression.

It is because there aren't many people into DIY lately. About 7 years ago there weren't many amps to choose from, so DIY was a lot more popular and therefore the Beta22 was also a lot more popular as it had and still has great documentation.  

It is still a top of the line design and I will be more than happy to match mine up to any amp any day, but there just aren't that many floating around, so it is hard for people to get a chance to listen to it.  

Also a lot of amps now-a-days are judged on not their design or build quality, but their price, and honestly the Beta22 can be build for easily less than $1000 and therefore people will write it off even before they hear it. What they don't understand is that companies have to mark up their prices to make profit and pay for labor, so the parts that actually go into an amp are usually less than a beta.

Anyway I love my beta, and I love DIY, so this is a slightly biased opinion from someone who owns and loves their beta.  Also someone who has a HE1k on the way and will be powering it with a Beta, or Dyanhi.  

beerchug.gif

May 8, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #3,532 of 14,743
It is because there aren't many people into DIY lately. About 7 years ago there weren't many amps to choose from, so DIY was a lot more popular and therefore the Beta22 was also a lot more popular as it had and still has great documentation.  

It is still a top of the line design and I will be more than happy to match mine up to any amp any day, but there just aren't that many floating around, so it is hard for people to get a chance to listen to it.  

Also a lot of amps now-a-days are judged on not their design or build quality, but their price, and honestly the Beta22 can be build for easily less than $1000 and therefore people will write it off even before they hear it. What they don't understand is that companies have to mark up their prices to make profit and pay for labor, so the parts that actually go into an amp are usually less than a beta.

Anyway I love my beta, and I love DIY, so this is a slightly biased opinion from someone who owns and loves their beta.  Also someone who has a HE1k on the way and will be powering it with a Beta, or Dyanhi.  

:beerchug:

+1
I agree with you 100%.I would put the beta 22 up against any modern amp, at any price, and I feel that it would hold its own :)

May 8, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #3,533 of 14,743
Most expensive gear also doesnt mean best gear... I love how pretentious some ppl in this community can be. R u in this hobby because u trust your ears or because u trust ur wallet?

it's the prestige that comes with knowing you have the best that money can buy...

until a more expensive piece of kit comes along.

May 8, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #3,535 of 14,743
price aside....(if you are very rich there is no problem, no merit, and no adventure, no exploration , its very simple to buy one million dollars sound system ) the important thing is SyNERGy within the chain, and ratio quality/price... The greatest satisfaction result not in having the costlyer system but the best for the price paid...
redface.gif
my 5 cent

May 8, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #3,536 of 14,743
price aside....(if you are very rich there is no problem, no merit, and no adventure, no exploration , its very simple to buy one million dollars sound system ) the important thing is SyNERGy within the chain, and ratio quality/price... The greatest satisfaction result not in having the costlyer system but the best for the price paid...:xf_eek: my 5 cent

+1 Well said sir.

May 8, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #3,538 of 14,743
Hi is there a thread dedicated to possible cables for the HE1000?

May 8, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #3,539 of 14,743
Hi is there a thread dedicated to possible cables for the HE1000?

Don't know if there is one but since it uses the same connectors as the Oppo PM1 and 2 I already have a Vanquish and Wywires to try 
wink_face.gif
. I am also planning to change a Zeus that I have to fit them.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
May 8, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #3,540 of 14,743
Don't know if there is one but since it uses the same connectors as the Oppo PM1 and 2 I already have a Vanquish and Wywires to try :wink_face: . I am also planning to change a Zeus that I have to fit them.

Sweet thanks for the information, might have to get a custom cable made sometime. I already have a Vanquish cable for my Alpha Prime's. Please have a great afternoon jamming out.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back