Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
May 11, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #3,678 of 14,702
The oppo's have a locking groove on the 2.5mm mono plug and the hd700 do not. I think the he1k cables are more like the hd700 without locking grove.

There's no locking mechanism on the HE1000 though, so oppo cables should work just fine, I think, since the locking groove isn't on the connector itself, but rather the connector body.

Kojaku

May 11, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #3,679 of 14,702
  Mine arrived. I'm comparing them to the Ethers primarily. The HE1000s are more "around your head" while the Ethers are more "in your head". The deep bass seems to really rumble and they are already picking up micro details which I hadn't noticed on some tracks. The treble is a tiny bit irritating, but I don't know if they need some use before this will change. 

How is the bass vs the Ether? 

May 11, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #3,680 of 14,702
Its good to hear that the treble isnt too relaxed as the guy in the video with jude seemed to think when hifiman was getting impressions from jude. Whether its too much i guess time will tell. Looking forwarding to hearing more impressions from you Amos!

Like oregonian, im also quite interested in the bass as it was something jude also noted as being quite special

May 11, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #3,681 of 14,702
anyone tried HE1000 on portable rig?  Hugo, AK240, ZX2, PHA3, etc?

May 11, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #3,682 of 14,702
i think the Ether is the comparison many are looking for. When you get some more time on the HE-1000 it would be good to know if you feel one is better than the other or just different flavors. I'm hoping it's the latter.

May 11, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #3,683 of 14,702
  anyone tried HE1000 on portable rig?  Hugo, AK240, ZX2, PHA3, etc?

I just posted my early impressions of the HE1000 with my Hugo.

Listening to Oliver Nelson's "Stolen Moments," a track I've probably heard 300 times.  But when Nelson's tenor solo came in, I got shivers.  Unreal imagery, could feel the acoustics of the venue, and his sax had a nice earthy bite to it.

May 11, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #3,684 of 14,702
Mine arrived. I'm comparing them to the Ethers primarily. The HE1000s are more "around your head" while the Ethers are more "in your head". The deep bass seems to really rumble and they are already picking up micro details which I hadn't noticed on some tracks. The treble is a tiny bit irritating, but I don't know if they need some use before this will change. 
Perhaps the fuzzor mod would help those highs.

May 11, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #3,685 of 14,702
Perhaps the fuzzor mod would help those highs.

Either my hearing has changed or I've got the right upstream gear for the HE-6 and HD800, because I don't have any problems with their highs. I actually removed the fuzzor mod from my HE-6 and if anything, wish they were slightly more extended on top.

May 11, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #3,686 of 14,702
Either my hearing has changed or I've got the right upstream gear for the HE-6 and HD800, because I don't have any problems with their highs. I actually removed the fuzzor mod from my HE-6 and if anything, wish they were slightly more extended on top.

That is exactly what I was going to say in the context of the HE-6s. Not sure what people are banging on about with the treble. With both the Theta and Yggdrasil and 2A3MK4 - they are fine, modded removing grills and foam and velour pads. Not perfect treble, but actually very good. I particularly like the attack.

The HE1000s are too fresh to comment on the treble, just yet. I will give them a bit more time to settle and to myself to absorb what I am hearing.

May 11, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #3,687 of 14,702
Just a few quick HE1000 vs. 009 notes before I go to sleep, for anyone who's starved for preliminary impressions:

Tracks like "War" from the binaural album "Explorations in Space and Time" sound awesome from both headphones, but just slightly more dynamic and percussive from the HE1000. The 009s feel a bit more like a traditional headphone, with more of an inside-head presentation.

The low rumble and raspiness of brass instruments come through more vividly on the HE1000s. See tracks like Quincy Jones' "Soul Bossa Nova." Stan Getz's tenor sax just seems to have more body and bite on "Doralice," whereas the 009s present a more muted, laid-back version of his performance. Instrument separation and the crispness of the percussion are a bit more apparent on the HE1000s.

May 11, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #3,688 of 14,702
Quote:dj nellie
  Just a few quick HE1000 vs. 009 notes before I go to sleep, for anyone who's starved for preliminary impressions:
Tracks like "War" from the binaural album "Explorations in Space and Time" sound awesome from both headphones, but just slightly more dynamic and percussive from the HE1000. The 009s feel a bit more like a traditional headphone, with more of an inside-head presentation.
The low rumble and raspiness of brass instruments come through more vividly on the HE1000s. See tracks like Quincy Jones' "Soul Bossa Nova." Stan Getz's tenor sax just seems to have more body and bite on "Doralice," whereas the 009s present a more muted, laid-back version of his performance. Instrument separation and the crispness of the percussion are a bit more apparent on the HE1000s.

Amps: KGSS

Perhaps an amp upgrade for the SR-009 to a KGSSHV or KGST or BHSE is indicated. 
wink_face.gif

May 11, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #3,689 of 14,702

This is exciting news regarding the SR009.  You do get more outside of head "feeling" with tubes using SR009 as opposed to solid state.  Are the ear pads long (tall) enough to not touch an average sized ear?  How about really large heads?
Thanks,

May 11, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #3,690 of 14,702

This is exciting news regarding the SR009.  You do get more outside of head "feeling" with tubes using SR009 as opposed to solid state.  Are the ear pads long (tall) enough to not touch an average sized ear?  How about really large heads?
Thanks,

I'm pretty sure Dumbo's ears wouldn't touch the edge of the HE1k cups. They're the biggest cups I've ever seen/felt.

Kojaku

Users who are viewing this thread

Back