HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 6, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #19,592 of 21,879
@sahmen I would also recommend the Dekoni pads.  I haven't tried them personally as I use the Brainwavz Angeled Velour Pads but these need some additional mods to sound their best.  

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #19,593 of 21,879
  @sahmen I would also recommend the Dekoni pads.  I haven't tried them personally as I use the Brainwavz Angeled Velour Pads but these need some additional mods to sound their best.  

Thanks for the recommendation. I pr of Dekoni pads duly ordered.

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #19,594 of 21,879
found a mcintosh 2505 amplifier, think it will pair well with the he-6? Will be using the speaker out.

Jan 6, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #19,596 of 21,879
thought so, people say it's warm as well, which pair perfectly with the he-6 glassy treble (tho I used some toilet paper to damp that out, my mods are so ghetto I don't even want to take pictures of it)

the only thing to do now is to wait for a repsonse hope no one else snagged it.

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #19,597 of 21,879
  thought so, people say it's warm as well, which pair perfectly with the he-6 glassy treble (tho I used some toilet paper to damp that out, my mods are so ghetto I don't even want to take pictures of it)

the only thing to do now is to wait for a repsonse hope no one else snagged it.

That's what I hear when I listen to Mac gear.  The HE-6 sounds great with my tube gear and the Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II that I used to have.  

Mods are fun... You should still post pics of your modded HE-6s even though you think they are ugly.  It will give others ideas for their HE-6s. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #19,598 of 21,879
I'll probably post my mods once i get the pads from my zmf eikon purchase. The audeze pads that came with the he-6 is so roughed up that you can even install it properly. I had to use tape to put it all together.

Jan 7, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #19,599 of 21,879

t
he headphone out drives it surprisingly well, still distorts after the pot goes past 12:00. Would be using speaker out, but the spade to banana plug adatpers haven't come yet.

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #19,602 of 21,879
yup that's it right there, the m2505.

For sound, it is super smooth and has a bit of softness but without the euphony or warmth you get from tubes. The tone is really SS like, transparent and clean but without the harshness and roughness you get from a typical (bad) SS sound. Bass is a bit boosted and adds a ton of impact and weight to a headphone's bass response. IMO it's neutral sounding or maybe ever so slightly south of neutral. 

Detail is superb and the headphone output is powerful. It's not optimal for the he-6, but at vol levels where there's no distortion, the sound has weight, and the bass is still well driven. I can't wait to see how much better it gets once get the adapter so I can use the speaker output. It's headphone out is probably overkill for most other headphones. My hd 580 doesn't even go past 9 olcock. 

As for cons, it does not really add anything (nor detract) to improve staging and dynamics, how good those aspects are will really depend on the recording, dac and headphones.  It could use a bit more air to the sound however, but it's not dark or closed in by any means.

Also the vu meters are mesmerising, and the lights are perfect in terms of intensity (bright enough to be seen in the dark, but not so bright that it hurts the eyes or distracts you), the L/R gain pots could be smoother. But all the other pots give a very satisfying click.

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #19,603 of 21,879
yup that's it right there, the m2505.

For sound, it is super smooth and has a bit of softness but without the euphony or warmth you get from tubes. The tone is really SS like, transparent and clean but without the harshness and roughness you get from a typical (bad) SS sound. Bass is a bit boosted and adds a ton of impact and weight to a headphone's bass response. IMO it's neutral sounding or maybe ever so slightly south of neutral. 

Detail is superb and the headphone output is powerful. It's not optimal for the he-6, but at vol levels where there's no distortion, the sound has weight, and the bass is still well driven. I can't wait to see how much better it gets once get the adapter so I can use the speaker output. It's headphone out is probably overkill for most other headphones. My hd 580 doesn't even go past 9 olcock. 

As for cons, it does not really add anything (nor detract) to improve staging and dynamics, how good those aspects are will really depend on the recording, dac and headphones.  It could use a bit more air to the sound however, but it's not dark or closed in by any means.

Also the vu meters are mesmerising, and the lights are perfect in terms of intensity (bright enough to be seen in the dark, but not so bright that it hurts the eyes or distracts you), the L/R gain pots could be smoother. But all the other pots give a very satisfying click.

Very nice! That was quick. I love the look of Mac gear. My bet is the speaker taps will be much better. In fact I think it will drive the HE-6 superbly.

Jan 9, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #19,604 of 21,879
It looks like the new monoprice M1060 headband would be perfect fit for the HE-6. Even if the cup is different size it would be possible to connect at the gimbal. There shouldn't be any clearance issues with Audeze pads like with the new hifiman headband.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back