HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 23, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #14,911 of 21,868
you can renew the desiccant packs by heating them in an oven,it's like squeezing the water out of a wet sponge..... allows it to take in water all over again...... but try not to burn yourself(or the packets) 
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 23, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #14,912 of 21,868
  how much of a difference is there between the he-6 being driven out of the audio-gd master 10 for example vs some boutique ultra high-end tube or ss speaker amp(is the difference marginal or enough for you to regret getting into this hobby as you pull out your wallet 
normal_smile .gif
  ? )

Differences will probably be there. Just depends if you want to pay for them. Besides the Master-3 or Master-10, I don't see any other amps performing at that level for the price. I'm pretty sure they punch way above their price too. Some nights I wonder if I could should have saved 2k and gone with a Master-3 instead.

Sep 23, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #14,913 of 21,868

Differences will probably be there. Just depends if you want to pay for them. Besides the Master-3 or Master-10, I don't see any other amps performing at that level for the price. I'm pretty sure they punch way above their price too. Some nights I wonder if I could should have saved 2k and gone with a Master-3 instead.

someone fault these amps already 
tongue.gif
 ..... can you guys say what you dislike about it ?

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #14,915 of 21,868
  someone fault these amps already 
tongue.gif
 ..... can you guys say what you dislike about it ?

They get the room hot and very hard to take to meets. As much as I want you guys to hear my setup, I'm unwilling to haul it out.

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #14,917 of 21,868

They get the room hot and very hard to take to meets. As much as I want you guys to hear my setup, I'm unwilling to haul it out.

Can't blame you. Still gotta hear your amp though, by hook or crook! 
biggrin.gif
 "Bribes"...such a dirty word.

I still have 'Baby sinister' (Sansui G-22000) on a flat dolly. 

Sep 24, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #14,918 of 21,868
Sep 24, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #14,919 of 21,868
Guys, has anyone used the RSA Intruder or RSA Predator to power the HE6? I'm curious what the smallest physical amp is that can power these. I already have speaker taps with a huge amp to use at home with the HE6. I'm just curious if there actually is a tiny amp that can fully power them.

Sep 24, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #14,922 of 21,868
Guys, has anyone used the RSA Intruder or RSA Predator to power the HE6? I'm curious what the smallest physical amp is that can power these. I already have speaker taps with a huge amp to use at home with the HE6. I'm just curious if there actually is a tiny amp that can fully power them.

I had sr71b with an Intruder update, (gain to 23 from 11) and I heard from Ray it can drive HE6 without any issue.
Unfortunately I sold sr71b before purcharsing HE6 because all these years I thought it was a good amp but I was wrong. Nothing really special about this amp IMO. Think it's overestimate amp in general. There are far better amps portable amps out there at that price range.

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #14,923 of 21,868
  I'm curious what the smallest physical amp is that can power these. I already have speaker taps with a huge amp to use at home with the HE6. I'm just curious if there actually is a tiny amp that can fully power them.

I have it on good authority that HE-6 sounds very good out of the Project Ember amp from Garage1217. From experience, I can say that the Project Polaris amp (also from Garage1217) also does a good job, although, I don't have any high-end gear for comparison. Likewise with the RJM Sapphire headphone amp, although this is only available as a DIY project. I've got several class-D amps that sound good, but I think the aforementioned amps sound better to my ears. Of all these amps, the smallest is probably 15 cm x 10 cm and none are bigger than 25 cm x 20 cm.

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #14,924 of 21,868

I have it on good authority that HE-6 sounds very good out of the Project Ember amp from Garage1217. From experience, I can say that the Project Polaris amp (also from Garage1217) also does a good job, although, I don't have any high-end gear for comparison. Likewise with the RJM Sapphire headphone amp, although this is only available as a DIY project. I've got several class-D amps that sound good, but I think the aforementioned amps sound better to my ears. Of all these amps, the smallest is probably 15 cm x 10 cm and none are bigger than 25 cm x 20 cm.

In terms of footprint and cost, Project Ember is a good amp for the HE 6. I own the combo. Needless to say, the HE 6 will scale up with better amps (but you knew that).

Sep 24, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #14,925 of 21,868
In terms of footprint and cost, Project Ember is a good amp for the HE 6. I own the combo. Needless to say, the HE 6 will scale up with bigger amps (but you knew that).
Fixed that for ya.

To be honest, I was pleasantly impressed with my Xin Macro IV and what it does on a portable rig. Normally a 16-20 hour play was zapped in 3 hrs and very warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back