HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 17, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #14,886 of 21,868
Here's a C/P of some very quick impression with the Ragnarok

Quote:
OK, moved back the Rag in the headphone setup and plugged in the 560.
There's no comparison to my ears, the 6s are better.
I always found the production 560 to be shouty and slighty bass light. Heck, I barely listened to them ever since they came. Probably because my Lavardin integrated came back from repair at the same time and the HE-6 got most of my listening time ever since (with some HE-5LE in the mix).

Anyway, the HE-6 is more 3D, better textured, more detailed and overall more natural (bass/mid/treble). The pre-prod HE-560 were more focused, better tonally, but that was before I got the Rag (or Lavardin) and did the felt mod / focus pads / partial grill mod on the 6s.

The 560s will be for sale tomorrow.

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #14,888 of 21,868
confused.gif

Sep 22, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #14,889 of 21,868
what would you choose, an he-6(on a really high quality speaker amp) vs an electrostatic like the stax sigma/507/007mk2(on a BHSE) ?
mostly for classical, would like to know whether electrostatic really is superior to any dynamic when rendering classical and chorus 
redface.gif

Sep 22, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #14,890 of 21,868
  what would you choose, an he-6(on a really high quality speaker amp) vs an electrostatic like the stax sigma/507/007mk2(on a BHSE) ?
mostly for classical, would like to know whether electrostatic really is superior to any dynamic when rendering classical and chorus 
redface.gif

HE-6 for sure because of the practicality of being able to plug into non-estat amps. It sounds 90% up to par, and the extra 10% does go to the Stax 009 for sure, but it's not as convenient. The one thing I find the 009 inferior to the HE-6 is that the stax doesn't have as much of a textured sound and visceral bass impact as the HE-6. I've yet to hear any headphones that really produces sounds that you can 'feel' to this level. Not just bass too, but feel all types of frequencies. It's pretty special. 

Sep 22, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #14,891 of 21,868
That word - visceral - is so perfect to describe the bass on a HE-6 fed right.  Nice work Golden.

I have plenty of basshead phones but the HE-6 bass out of my Pioneer Spec amp (direct off speaker taps) is so different. 

Sep 22, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #14,892 of 21,868
  HE-6 for sure because of the practicality of being able to plug into non-estat amps. It sounds 90% up to par, and the extra 10% does go to the Stax 009 for sure, but it's not as convenient. The one thing I find the 009 inferior to the HE-6 is that the stax doesn't have as much of a textured sound and visceral bass impact as the HE-6. I've yet to hear any headphones that really produces sounds that you can 'feel' to this level. Not just bass too, but feel all types of frequencies. It's pretty special.

+1. I have an HD800 and LCD-X. Both good headphones and I enjoy both very much, but they just aren't getting much head time as I keep reaching for my modded HE6 driven from my WA5. About the only time I stray is when I am in the early stages of tube burn in and the SQ is a bit rough - then I might go for the Taurus driven LCD-X.

There is something indescribably good about a well driven, modded, HE6. The LCD-X and HD800, as good as they are, just aren't in the same league for me.

Sep 22, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #14,893 of 21,868

Hmmm. this is quite interesting 
smily_headphones1.gif

what amp was the he-6 in question running from ? and what speaker amp would you recommend for them ?

Sep 22, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #14,894 of 21,868
Something else to consider is the cost of entry. For BHSE + SR009 you talking around 10K. That is quite a bit more than a HE6 plus an appropriate amp to drive them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back