HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 25, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #14,927 of 21,868
  I give a vote to the M8.
While it's not on par with a "room heater", with bass boost and on high gain it does a surprisingly decent job on most types of music.
Plus it's portable.

Totally forgot about the Hifi M8. I am going to look into it. 

The project ember mentioned before sounds really interesting too. Seems like a great DIY project for when I am not working as much or have light classes. Unfortunately, summer would have been a perfect time for that but summer just ended.. 

Sep 25, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #14,930 of 21,868
I'll also chime in on the Ember with the HE-6. I thought the combo was pretty good. I've moved on to a solid state speaker amp though since I think it provides better imaging and bass response but the Ember did a solid job. One caveat though is that I was using the ODAC with the Ember but switched to a Beresford DAC (first the bushmaster and now the caiman) before getting the bantam

Sep 25, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #14,931 of 21,868
  how would you connect the he-6 to an OTL power amp ?

4-pin xlr > 1/4" adapter in the case of my small OTL. Under powered but sounds decent at low volume. In a pinch. 
normal_smile .gif

Oct 2, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #14,935 of 21,868
I am pretty psyched - I just got hold of my Audio Gd Ref 10 DAC/headamp and i have a HE6 with balanced cables coming in tomorrow (fingers crossed).

Can't wait!

Oct 2, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #14,937 of 21,868
  You're going to be knocked out by the HE-6. It's that good. Especially since it sounds like they'll be powered decently well. 

Thanks!!

I actually had the HE560 on order, but apparently it was only gonna come in at month's end.

I checked and they had the HE6 in stock tomorrow so i just thought oh what the hell....why not!

If all else fails, i have an Almarro 318B with 18W of SET power on standby, i just have to get the Hifiman HE adapter i guess.

Oct 2, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #14,938 of 21,868

Thanks!!

I actually had the HE560 on order, but apparently it was only gonna come in at month's end.

I checked and they had the HE6 in stock tomorrow so i just thought oh what the hell....why not!

If all else fails, i have an Almarro 318B with 18W of SET power on standby, i just have to get the Hifiman HE adapter i guess.

Honestly, you'll be glad you bought the HE-6. The HE-6 is much better in portraying texture and dimensionality of the music while the 560s have a bit better imaging and airiness. In my opinion, there's no headphone that sounds quite like the HE-6, it's pretty special, but there are many headphones that sound similar to the 560 (which isn't a bad thing, it's in great company). Think LCDX, lower end Stax etc. 

Oct 2, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #14,939 of 21,868
  Honestly, you'll be glad you bought the HE-6. The HE-6 is much better in portraying texture and dimensionality of the music while the 560s have a bit better imaging and airiness. In my opinion, there's no headphone that sounds quite like the HE-6, it's pretty special, but there are many headphones that sound similar to the 560 (which isn't a bad thing, it's in great company). Think LCDX, lower end Stax etc. 

Wow, I have an LCD-X coming in. I have heard neither the X (yet) nor the 560. Have you heard both?

Oct 2, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #14,940 of 21,868

I just hope they "upgrade" their HE-6 like they recently did for the rest of their line.  The same but...more comfortable.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back