HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 22, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #12,076 of 21,868
That looks pretty badass. I always have a thing for big caps and big irons 
eek.gif

Feb 22, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #12,079 of 21,868
  Question: as HE-6s have that caliber, why didn't Mr. Fang "commercialize" all those wonderful mods for HE-6 owners, as Steeve McCormack did for his amps? MAy be a Hifiman HE-6 SE Revision IV Gold! :)

We all hear differently though. Like that very popular AnaxMod with the Hd800, tried it and like the stock form better 
biggrin.gif

To me though, putting several revisions of the same headphone (aka mods) is like saying "We don't know what we are doing with our headphones, so we give you several choices, whatever works best for you" 
rolleyes.gif
. Imagine first time buyers' reaction when they see there's He6 Bronze, He6 Silver Edition, He6 Gold edition, He6 Platinum Edition, He6 Signature Platinum with Rhodium cable version 

Feb 22, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #12,084 of 21,868
@ StryGR - Thanks!
@ ALRAINBOW - Read about the amp on 6moons (I believe it was) some moons back. But not actually listened to it.

Feb 22, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #12,086 of 21,868
That's interesting, piano is hard to get just right, in many cases the soul is sucked out of the sound and the notes sound flat (though even without the mods I'm not complaining with the 6).  It didn't muddy up the string instruments I presume?
The instruments have more isolation but it doesn't impact the resonances of non electric instruments. They sound like HiFiMan presentation. I'm getting familiar with the 6 again but next week I'll take them down to Darryl's audio dungeon for a comparison to his. His are hardwired so the cable will be different from the XLR to the drivers. Otherwise, we get to hear what the felt and grill changes do in real time.

Feb 22, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #12,087 of 21,868
  That looks pretty badass. I always have a thing for big caps and big irons 
eek.gif

Hehe, you too? 
wink_face.gif

The instruments have more isolation but it doesn't impact the resonances of non electric instruments. They sound like HiFiMan presentation. I'm getting familiar with the 6 again but next week I'll take them down to Darryl's audio dungeon for a comparison to his. His are hardwired so the cable will be different from the XLR to the drivers. Otherwise, we get to hear what the felt and grill changes do in real time.

Cool! I'd like to see Darryl's "dungeon" 
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 22, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #12,088 of 21,868
Question: as HE-6s have that caliber, why didn't Mr. Fang "commercialize" all those wonderful mods for HE-6 owners, as Steeve McCormack did for his amps? MAy be a Hifiman HE-6 SE Revision IV Gold! :)
I don't think this mod is perfect. I'd experiment with the grill more. While the openness is a different presentation, it doesn't mean it's the best. I'd want to play with different grill material's openness and damping because now there's no need for damping. The good thing about these mods are they are reversible. If you want to experiment or put back to default, you can. There's no physically damning process to the headphone (unless you hardwire a cable to them). The felt covering of the magnet plating and frame may not have been considered. But I like the presentation with it on and am sharing my experience.

Feb 22, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #12,089 of 21,868
Without getting bashed have you tried EQ before the mod and after.

Al

Feb 22, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #12,090 of 21,868
I don't think this mod is perfect. I'd experiment with the grill more. While the openness is a different presentation, it doesn't mean it's the best. I'd want to play with different grill material's openness and damping because now there's no need for damping. The good thing about these mods are they are reversible. If you want to experiment or put back to default, you can. There's no physically damning process to the headphone (unless you hardwire a cable to them). The felt covering of the magnet plating and frame may not have been considered. But I like the presentation with it on and am sharing my experience.

I agree too, it's not the best, but it does address some important things like better headstage and some loss of high frequency reflections. The main problem I have with the overall mod is that it's a little distant sounding. I think going with angled HifiMan pads instead of Audeze pads may yield the result I'm looking for. The overall mods do reduce fatigue during long sessions though, so its in the right direction IMO.

What nits do you have to pick with the mods?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back