HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 22, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #12,106 of 21,868
An apt analogy would be it's like a two man control capsule of the Apollo (less the space suit). I jest of course.
wink.gif

Hehe, sounds like fun!

"Houston, we are leaving orbit. See you on the Dark Side of the Moon. Out." 
biggrin.gif

I leave that to you, I trust you'll bring a really good red wine 
biggrin.gif
   What I do have for you is lots of Latin Jazz to listen to..  My collection is growing.  I'm able to get any and all of these and rip them from my local library - They have pretty much every thing I could want.  Take a look at the link and search around a bit.

http://catalog.cincinnatilibrary.org/iii/encore/search/C__S%28Latin%20Jazz%29%20f%3Aj__Orightresult__U1?lang=eng&suite=cobalt

Very cool man, libraries are great resources for this kind of stuff.
The nit I have with the mods are what yours is. The openness is a positive (to my tastes) but I'm trying to decide if I am just conditioned to the original enclosure sound or if this has a nit. Jury and musical variety is under review. At first, I thought it took some meat out of the lows. Then I got used to the accuracy of the bass and find it less fatiguing. The highs sound more natural and without a shimmer. I can listen to the sound for hours and not feel fatigued like I have in the past. I think that's a good thing. I also get the satisfaction of turning it up when wanted and get that last drop of magic the material provide

The felt is what I did. I use the term "fuzzor" because that's in the title of the mod thread.

Armaegis, did you try putting the quarter foam back in position to see if there was any soundstage changes? I'm curious about that.
It is hard to compose the changes and be accurate unless you had two pairs one done and one stock. I got to hear a modded hd800. And although it sounded ok it quickly become a little muddy. And when I put the stock ones on it was very apparent I did not like it.
Al

I agree, it's hard to compare without a stock model side-by-side, but I don't think our auditory memory is so bad that we can't remember basic sound signatures. Small nuances I definitely agree on though.

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #12,107 of 21,868
I think we remember things differently as individuals. Like headphones not so much but my reference music very much.

So what I do is put on my ref tracks and I know ASAP what is going on. I can tell a he 6 from an hd800 but the details of modding no way not me.
I use the same methods with dacs and amps. It's the music I know not the reproduction devices

Al

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #12,108 of 21,868
I think we remember things differently as individuals. Like headphones not so much but my reference music very much.

So what I do is put on my ref tracks and I know ASAP what is going on. I can tell a he 6 from an hd800 but the details of modding no way not me.
I use the same methods with dacs and amps. It's the music I know not the reproduction devices

Al
I think we all do similar testing by choosing our most familiar selections. We know all their warts and quality. Some recordings are completely out of the way and are great samples to hear what the reproduction devices are doing to it. Copeland masters as an example. If a device has been designed properly, it gets out of the way and provides an indistinguishable representation to the original for our perception (assuming a technically competent recording).

Feb 22, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #12,110 of 21,868
I mention the Copeland material because Frank uses it for his reference. Mine aren't Copeland material but music and recordings I've lived with my whole life. It's not chosen for any particular attribute but because I've listened to it for decades. I've heard it on many systems and know it's sound in full. When I hear it on quality equipment, I can immediately hear it's (lack of) impact on the sound.

Feb 22, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #12,111 of 21,868
Ok I will email him about it. He did mention it to me as well. I know it is loud and complex. I have a gel ark disk like that it is movie themes and one of the tracks is return of the Jedi . Great dynamics.

Al

Feb 22, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #12,113 of 21,868
I mention the Copeland material because Frank uses it for his reference. Mine aren't Copeland material but music and recordings I've lived with my whole life. It's not chosen for any particular attribute but because I've listened to it for decades. I've heard it on many systems and know it's sound in full. When I hear it on quality equipment, I can immediately hear it's (lack of) impact on the sound.

Dave,

Stick those tracks on a thumb drive before you come over.  It'll be good for you to have them when we listen.

Feb 22, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #12,114 of 21,868
It is tel ark disk I can pm you with a drop box
It will be ripped on it already
Al

Feb 22, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #12,116 of 21,868
Armaegis, did you try putting the quarter foam back in position to see if there was any soundstage changes? I'm curious about that.

In my case the foam was deteorating so I just removed it and didn't bother listening for differences there. I briefly tried small pieces of felt taped into various places in the past, but don't recall anything notable from it.

It is hard to compose the changes and be accurate unless you had two pairs one done and one stock.

It's very easy to hear the changes from removing the grills. Just pop them off, then while listening to music carefully bring the grills back up and notice how much of a difference it makes.

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #12,118 of 21,868
If you have two headphones it is much easer to compare. Now if you do not someone I do understand your point.

Al

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #12,119 of 21,868
I like reading about these hardware mods and have come to see (several pages back) how they can achieve certain things that are impossible to do with EQ'ing but am too chicken to start on my HE-6.  Let's face it, even stock they're already very good, we're talking various slightly differently textured icing on cake stuff here.  I think most people start in this hobby small, then go wild and crazy and once they've learned what their preference is, start simplifying.  Unfortunately for my wallet I'm still stuck in the wild&crazy phase but the journey's fun.

You guys are lucky with all those music collections physically at your fingertips in libraries.  For general listening (as opposed to my collection on HD) I'm relegated to classicalarchives.com (medium quality streaming) and Linn records for purchasing high quality downloads (studio master FLAC etc, they have a good choice of formats).  Only downside is the size of the files.

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #12,120 of 21,868
Get used to big file sizes. But memory is much cheaper now than before. Also set up a raid server to save you music. Clause if the hardrive dies so does your music.

Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back