HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 31, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #5,116 of 21,873
It's too bad about the warranty. I had a look at the way these are wired and it would be a 5 min job to rewire these direct but getting them back to original would be a PITA. 
Sorry Fang, great headphone but i hate the cable connectors. Too fragile and awkward, I wish it was 4 pin mini xlr.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #5,117 of 21,873

Quote:
It's too bad about the warranty. I had a look at the way these are wired and it would be a 5 min job to rewire these direct but getting them back to original would be a PITA. 
Sorry Fang, great headphone but i hate the cable connectors. Too fragile and awkward, I wish it was 4 pin mini xlr.

Can always attach one if yourself 
evil_smiley.gif
http://www.audiogear.com/Switchcraft-Mini-XLR-Connectors.html

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #5,119 of 21,873
Awesome woody Magnums there - the headband on the second one is genius.  I guess you would want any mod to be at least reversible on the HE-6 - it is certainly not cheap to replace.

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #5,120 of 21,873
Still really enjoying my HE-6 out of the speaker output.  7.5o clock is more than enough for my listening levels.  Will say that the amp does have a higher noise floor than amps I've previously heard.  Maybe because it is a vintage?

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #5,121 of 21,873
Most likely because it's a speaker amp. They tend to let a bit more noise through because speakers in general are less sensitive and more forgiving, also the distance from speaker to listener helps lose the detail level where that noise resides.

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #5,123 of 21,873

Quote:
I really do like the HE-6 but one things that bothers me is that the headband, or the housing (not sure which) makes creeky noises a lot.  I have an early pair from the first run.  Is this something that was fixed in later runs?

Owned three HE6s now. One from the earliest batch, one from mid-production cycle and one from the latest batch (received 2 weeks ago). The new one has better build quality (and looks). Nothing drastic, but all the minor issues, like the one you mentioned, have been squashed.

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #5,124 of 21,873

Quote:
Owned three HE6s now. One from the earliest batch, one from mid-production cycle and one from the latest batch (received 2 weeks ago). The new one has better build quality (and looks). Nothing drastic, but all the minor issues, like the one you mentioned, have been squashed.

Thats good news, but bad news for me.  I wonder if Fang would be willing to trade my pair. :frowning2:

Feb 8, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #5,127 of 21,873

Quote:
What about the bar that goes through the center of the ear cup.  Is that still there?

Yes. But, the new earpads are deeper so there's less chance of the ears making contact.

Feb 8, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #5,130 of 21,873
To me the HE-6 and all full size Hifiman headphones are some of the least comfortable. When I put them on they didn't make contact all around the pad but only the top and bottom which started to pinch a nerve under my ear giving me bad ear aches. I would almost prefer a Grado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back