HiFiMan HE-560 Review
Mar 26, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #31 of 219

Here's a pic of the CES Prototype.

http://cdn.head-fi.org/4/4b/900x900px-LL-4be9c1d8__DSC1695_610x380.jpeg

Huh, maybe it's just the angle of the other pic, either way I like the 560/400i looks.

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #32 of 219
Edwood, Should we put our reviews in the same thread, or different threads?  I'm afraid that people will ask the same question 4-5x, or once in every review thread.

My sample arrives tomorrow via DHL (shipped Friday).

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #33 of 219
Posting because of reasons.

I feel like all these reviews would've been fine on the Impressions thread, as long as the first post linked to the specific review posts. Now, people will definitely be asking the same questions in every 560 thread.

Mar 27, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #34 of 219
Honestly, I'm looking for a bit more body in the upper mid and lower treble range. I think HE-500 was lacking in this area, say compared to the HD600 for example.

Although it did lack a bit upper treble, its main purpose was to prevent aggressiveness and sibilence. On the other hand if the he-560 are as fast as he says then Bian Fang is truely an audio wizard.

Mar 27, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #35 of 219

I'll need to dig out my HE-500, but I'm currently comparing to my HE-6.  The HE-560 is much more efficient than the HE-6.  Also noticeably faster sounding in almost every respect.

If it is faster, does it cut bass decay even more ? In the ADRS transition, are planars not a bit truncated compared to dynamics on the exit end of bass sounds ?

Mar 27, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #37 of 219
  Edwood, Should we put our reviews in the same thread, or different threads?  I'm afraid that people will ask the same question 4-5x, or once in every review thread.

My sample arrives tomorrow via DHL (shipped Friday).

Separate threads, but link to the thread that Jerg started, so people following there can find yours.

Having them all in the same thread will have reviews and images buried quickly, and will cause a lot of clutter and confusion of people asking questions to different people.

I guess we could all link to other review threads in the first post of each individual review thread?

Mar 27, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #39 of 219
Multiple reviews are easy on one thread when the first post links to the individual reviews/posts. It's been done many times before, and works a lot better than multiple threads where everyone will ask the same questions.

Case in point:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/522157/hifiman-he-4-impressions-thread

Now, since this is your thread, you can easily edit the name to be the HE-560 Review Thread or something, and everyone can review here, with you updating the first post.

Mar 27, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #40 of 219
If we really want to get down to the details, I think an upside-down slightly lopsided egg shape opening is by far the best for ergonomics.

That describes the shape of my ultrasone ed8 cups..
Ha

Also...

Why can't anyone just be upfront with an initial impression?
Like "I love it".. Or ..
"yes it has more soundstage and air"..

I would do that instead of tippy toeing and worrying about having time to listen thoroughly..

Realistically a "reviewer" can tell how good a level of sound it is in less than 30seconds..
So a "yes it is good" is not too hard is it?

Yes extended listening is great for a total description,
but all we really want to know is if there is improvements over:
HE500 sound..
HE4 soundstage..
HE6 refined signature...

:p

Edit: don't mind me, I'm just being a crab and sleepy lol

Mar 27, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #41 of 219
Multiple reviews are easy on one thread when the first post links to the individual reviews/posts. It's been done many times before, and works a lot better than multiple threads where everyone will ask the same questions.

Case in point:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/522157/hifiman-he-4-impressions-thread

Now, since this is your thread, you can easily edit the name to be the HE-560 Review Thread or something, and everyone can review here, with you updating the first post.

To be fair, jerg started the first review thread, although I managed to catch my DHL Ninja, while he missed his. 

Mar 27, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #43 of 219
That describes the shape of my ultrasone ed8 cups..
Ha

Also...

Why can't anyone just be upfront with an initial impression?
Like "I love it".. Or ..
"yes it has more soundstage and air"..

I would do that instead of tippy toeing and worrying about having time to listen thoroughly..

Realistically a "reviewer" can tell how good a level of sound it is in less than 30seconds..
So a "yes it is good" is not too hard is it?

Yes extended listening is great for a total description,
but all we really want to know is if there is improvements over:
HE500 sound..
HE4 soundstage..
HE6 refined signature...

:p

Edit: don't mind me, I'm just being a crab and sleepy lol

No, you're right. When I do a review l can usually assess the headphone rather quickly and the changes after "burn-in" are usually minimal.
I mean, listening for an hour and writing some sort of impression (not comparing them) shouldn't be that hard :wink:
I mean that's just me and I am just saying that people want at least something... Anything, a few lines.

Mar 27, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #44 of 219
No, you're right. When I do a review l can usually assess the headphone rather quickly and the changes after "burn-in" are usually minimal.
I mean, listening for an hour and writing some sort of impression (not comparing them) shouldn't be that hard
wink.gif

I mean that's just me and I am just saying that people want at least something... Anything, a few lines.

Any reviewer worth their salt will take more than a mere hour for a review.  It's not "burn in" of hardware that's the issue, it's mental.  A quick and hasty impression does not take into account the newness of the sound being heard.  "New Toy Syndrome" can color the opinions of anyone.  Also there are many different song types and material to be listened to, not to mention cross comparison with other headphones, sources, amps, etc.
Many times hearing something different can be perceived as something better, when later on turns out to be just different.  Especially when you are comparing to something you are already very familiar with.

I've had initial impressions I've posted before early in the "Fresh out of CES" thread, but it's not a full review.

Also, I will have a special section on the HE-560 used with my Smyth Realiser. 

Mar 27, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #45 of 219
^ that's why I said "impressions" not a review. No need to take it personally...
And yes, I meant brain burn-in as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back