HiFiMan HE-560 Review
Mar 26, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #16 of 219
  I wonder if there is any damping material behind the grills. 

+1 also curious. They don't seem to have changed the grills the way Jerg implemented the grill mod, but maybe they added felt / dampening to reduce resonances?

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #18 of 219

+1 also curious. They don't seem to have changed the grills the way Jerg implemented the grill mod, but maybe they added felt / dampening to reduce resonances?

That's what I'll do first thing when I get my unit, is to take off the earpads/grills and check out the meat of the issue, that being the drivers.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #19 of 219
  Yes, I shall wait

Edit; If Hifiman really wants to succeed in making the perfect HE, while pertaining to the drive-ability of the He-500, then they only need to improve on the original He-500. Extra 6K treble is not necessary, just a faster transient response. But that is extremely hard to achieve with a looser diaphragm and high efficiency. The tonality of the He-500's is hard to disagree with; they just lack speed to achieve near perfection and total control.

I'll need to dig out my HE-500, but I'm currently comparing to my HE-6.  The HE-560 is much more efficient than the HE-6.  Also noticeably faster sounding in almost every respect.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #20 of 219
I don't think the cups being round or the resonant issues have anything to do with it.  The LCD series, Mad Dog/Alpha Dog, Abyss, and nearly all of the Stax headphoens utilize the same type of non-dynamic type of diaphragm, in which case the diaphragms are almost always large in surface area than the openings of the earpads themselves, but the oval opening of the earpads just provides a better fit compared to circle openings.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #21 of 219

I'll need to dig out my HE-500, but I'm currently comparing to my HE-6.  The HE-560 is much more efficient than the HE-6.  Also noticeably faster sounding in almost every respect.

That sounds promising.  Looking forward to the comparison with the HE-500s.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #23 of 219
Yes, I shall wait

Edit; If Hifiman really wants to succeed in making the perfect HE, while pertaining to the drive-ability of the He-500, then they only need to improve on the original He-500. Extra 6K treble is not necessary, just a faster transient response. But that is extremely hard to achieve with a looser diaphragm and high efficiency. The tonality of the He-500's is hard to disagree with; they just lack speed to achieve near perfection and total control.
Honestly, I'm looking for a bit more body in the upper mid and lower treble range. I think HE-500 was lacking in this area, say compared to the HD600 for example.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #24 of 219
  I don't think the cups being round or the resonant issues have anything to do with it.  The LCD series, Mad Dog/Alpha Dog, Abyss, and nearly all of the Stax headphoens utilize the same type of non-dynamic type of diaphragm, in which case the diaphragms are almost always large in surface area than the openings of the earpads themselves, but the oval opening of the earpads just provides a better fit compared to circle openings.

If we really want to get down to the details, I think an upside-down slightly lopsided egg shape opening is by far the best for ergonomics.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #25 of 219

When you say "faster" are you saying it has a faster transient (driver speed) response and is more transparent of micro-details?

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #26 of 219

Tempting....how does bass sound?

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #28 of 219
When you say "faster" are you saying it has a faster transient (driver speed) response and is more transparent of micro-details?
Also wondering this. I absolutely hate the description "fast" as it is so vague.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #29 of 219
To add to the plethora of questions,are they as airy as the HE-6/more airy than the 500?
Plus one for the bass quantity/quality.
Finally what about soundstage size and imaging?

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #30 of 219
This will be interesting to see how it differs from the HE4. I also wonder which side the magnet is (he4 the magnet is on the outside away from the ear).
That's what I'll do first thing when I get my unit, is to take off the earpads/grills and check out the meat of the issue, that being the drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back