HiFiMan HE-560 Review
May 11, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #196 of 219
  Got a good chance to compare the HE560 to my own HD600 today. Level matched but on different amps.

I found that the HE560 still had a bit of that treble tizz that gets to me when listening at high levels. Not too different from what I remember the HE500 actually. In direct comparison, the HD600 had a much softer treble texture while maintaining equal (if not better/cleaner) attack. I would speculate that the HE560 does show to have a minor treble spike somewhere. Was ultimately hoping it might be more controlled and refined in the treble though.

Most of us agreed that the HE560 was superior at reproducing bass. On first listen, I actually didn't think it was significantly better. But part of it might be me preferring dynamic bass to ortho bass.

Regardless, I agree that the HE560 is an excellent headphone. Quite neutral and open-sounding which suits my two biggest priorities. But probably not good enough to pull me away from an eventual HD800 upgrade.

Did you just compare these two at the meet with regards to treble refinement? Or also against other well-known headphones? HD600's treble is relatively linear but with dips around the definition and sparkle regions, plus lack of decay issues leads to an aggressively smoothed treble.

May 11, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #197 of 219
  Did you just compare these two at the meet with regards to treble refinement? Or also against other well-known headphones? HD600's treble is relatively linear but with dips around the definition and sparkle regions, plus lack of decay issues leads to an aggressively smoothed treble.

I did try it against some other headphones next to Marv's rig. But I was mostly interested in how the HD600 compared to the HE560 on my rig, as that might have been my next purchase. On Marv's rig the HE560 was great of course. But Marv's rig is kind of like Chesky recordings; it makes every good headphone sound great, even $30 Tascams
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
haha

I would not call the HD600 "aggressively" smooth. I mean, it's smooth in the scope of things but the HD650 probably fits the "aggressively" smoothed label better. Next to something like the HD800 or just a good pair of tweeters, the HD600 might seem less capable in the treble. But not overly smooth especially when listening at louder levels; just ask ultrabike about that 
wink_face.gif

May 11, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #198 of 219

I have noticed a bit of treble tizz as well......I notice it more on vocals from various artists.  It is not sibilance, sounds like a slight vibration somewhere in the drivers.  Reducing the volume usually helps some.

Is anyone else hearing this?  Or is it possibly a problem with my pair!

Hope this is being fixed that the moment..

Jul 9, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #201 of 219
Any improvements on midrange of the latest He-560 veneer?

Midrange is clearer and slightly brighter up top.  IMO, it is an improvement, but really, it's a matter of tastes...  From measurements, I don't feel the housings did much to the sound signature, it seems it was more or less the pads.  So if you do want the warmer, smoother sound, the Focus-A pads may be worth a look. 

Jul 18, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #202 of 219
Nice review.

I will put this on my must listen to list.

Would a Oppo HA-1 amp be okay to power these phones?

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #203 of 219
Nice review.

I will put this on my must listen to list.

Would a Oppo HA-1 amp be okay to power these phones?

The HA-1 is voiced for the PM1: bright and lean to compensate for the thick and warm sound of the headphones.

You want the opposite philosophy for Hifiman headphones, especially the HE-560. Any Audio-gd would probably be better than the Oppo.
If you can get a good price on the Fostex HP-A8, it would be good, too.

Jul 26, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #204 of 219
heyyy, so i know the he400 isn't even in the same class as these, but I was wondering if there has been any direct comparisons done between the two headphones. thinking about upgrading to the he560 in the far future when I get the money. would specifically like to know about the bass heh.

Nov 18, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #205 of 219
heyyy, so i know the he400 isn't even in the same class as these, but I was wondering if there has been any direct comparisons done between the two headphones. thinking about upgrading to the he560 in the far future when I get the money. would specifically like to know about the bass heh.

+1
Also very interested in comparison of HE-400 (not 400i) and HE-560. Also thinking of upgrading my 400 to 560.

At the moment I have two headphones: HE-400 and LCD-2 (rev.2) and I am currently considering replacing my LCD-2 with HE-560 for two reasons:

1) I don't like the closed-in (in the head) soundstage of LCD-2 (I love the wide and airy soundstage of my HE-400)
2) LCD-2 is not fast and energetic enough for me (I appreciate the speed and energy of my HE-400 very much)

How does HE-400 compare to HE-560?
Will the upgrade from LCD-2 to HE-560 give me better overall sound +soundstage and energy of HE-400?

Nov 18, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #206 of 219

+1
Also very interested in comparison of HE-400 (not 400i) and HE-560. Also thinking of upgrading my 400 to 560.

At the moment I have two headphones: HE-400 and LCD-2 (rev.2) and I am currently considering replacing my LCD-2 with HE-560 for two reasons:

1) I don't like the closed-in (in the head) soundstage of LCD-2 (I love the wide and airy soundstage of my HE-400)
2) LCD-2 is not fast and energetic enough for me (I appreciate the speed and energy of my HE-400 very much)

Will the upgrade from LCD-2 to HE-560 give me better overall sound +soundstage and energy of HE-400?

Yes and yes.
Not exactly the same bass impact as these two. Cleaner and tighter.
Everything else is better than the HE-400 by a significant margin. Sound can be tuned a bit warmer/brighter with Focus-A / Focus pads, too.

Nov 18, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #207 of 219

+1

hey, so I upgraded for the HE-400 to the HE-560. Basically, all and any of the flaws that you may have found with the HE-400 will be gone. No more silibance, no upper mid recession, no treble spike, no coloration at all. The HE-560 are extremely neutral, so you just hear your source exactly how it is. However, you do lose some of that really fun bass that the HE-400 has. The HE-400 has a bit of a bass emphasis, so definitely more bass quantity on the HE-400 over the HE-560. Otherwise, the HE-560 is a sonic upgrade in every way. Great micro-detail.

The HE-560 is an extremely neutral pair of headphones, so if that is what you are looking for, they would be a nice fit. Sound stage is much better on the HE-560s. I don't know what energy means.

Nov 19, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #208 of 219
Thank you and thank you!

If I decide to replace my LCD-2 with HE-560, what can I miss? Anything that LCD-2 does better than HE-560?

Nov 19, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #209 of 219
Thank you and thank you!

If I decide to replace my LCD-2 with HE-560, what can I miss? Anything that LCD-2 does better than HE-560?

havent heard the lcd2 so can't help you here. you should ask in the he-560 thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/711824/hifiman-he-560-impressions-discussion-thread/10260#post_11058241.

a lot of HE-560 owners who a lot of different previous gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back