HiFiMan HE-560 Review
May 10, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #181 of 219
  By far. It doesn't seem that treble changed at all, just that bass and lower/mid mids are raised by a couple of dBs.

That GOOD NEWS then :] [for me]! Thank you kindly.
So the balance went from slightly bright -> neutral/slight warmth rather than warm.

May 10, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #182 of 219
  That GOOD NEWS then :] [for me]! Thank you kindly.
So the balance went from slightly bright -> neutral, rather than warm.

Both are seriously neutral to my ears, it's only by A/B comparisons that I can distinguish relative differences.

May 10, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #183 of 219
  Both are seriously neutral to my ears, it's only by A/B comparisons that I can distinguish relative differences.

OK.
Hopefully dynamics don't lessen either.
So you prefer the newer tuning I take it?
Honestly, I believe I'll too if my impression's take is correct.

May 10, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #184 of 219
  OK.
Hopefully dynamics don't lessen either.
So you prefer the newer tuning I take it?
Honestly, I believe I'll too if my impression's take is correct.

I like both tunings, but I'm probably the minority (this re-tuning is largely due to tester feedback).

May 10, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #185 of 219
  I like both tunings, but I'm probably the minority (this re-tuning is largely due to tester feedback).

Ok thanks for the info!

EDIT: I wonder though, if the first pre-orders that shipped directly from China have this new signature? I guess so, they're probably just fixing the pads and hinges now.

May 10, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #186 of 219
Got back from a small private gathering (15-20 people). Brought my 560s there: the impressions were unanimously positive!

Hifiman got a winner here.

Edit: the PM-1 were at the party, too. These didn't quite get the same positive feedback from the fellow enthusiasts there.
I like the warm presentation - kinda reminds me of the HE-500 - but the bass is loose and not so well defined compared to the HE-560 (bloated vs tight).
The PM-1 were NOT more comfortable for me: while good overall, the oval ear pads were quite small and those were more like midway on/over-ear that fully around.

Both are great headphones but they will appeal to different people that might not understand one-another.

I might look at the PM-2 as a side-headphone for the warm moments, but certainly won't make the PM-1 my primary.

May 10, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #187 of 219
I have the latest Revision of the HE-560 now.

Sound is definitely improved.  The Bass, most notably.  It goes as low as the HE-6, maybe a tad bit more.  There is more Bass than the previous test HE-560 unit.  Bass is still very tight. 

Transparency in soundstage is much improved due to change in the ear pads.  I am no longer hearing those undesirable internal reflections in sound. 

The Treble seems largely unchanged, still smooth and somewhat recessed compared to the brighter sounding HE-6.

I know a lot of people are anxious for the HE-560's release, but rest assured the wait will be well worth it.  Better to have a more refined headphone than a rushed one that is not the best it can be.

May 10, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #188 of 219
Also to note that the finish in the wood ear cups is improved from the first test model I received.  It's a bit more yellowish warmer in tint, and the satin finish is slightly glossy now with a very smooth surface.  Much more refined and premium now.

May 10, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #189 of 219
I have the latest Revision of the HE-560 now.

Is this the very latest version with the fixed yoke design that Fang is planning to replace all pre-order units with?

May 11, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #191 of 219
Got back from a small private gathering (15-20 people). Brought my 560s there: the impressions were unanimously positive!

Hifiman got a winner here.

Edit: the PM-1 were at the party, too. These didn't quite get the same positive feedback from the fellow enthusiasts there.
I like the warm presentation - kinda reminds me of the HE-500 - but the bass is loose and not so well defined compared to the HE-560 (bloated vs tight).
The PM-1 were NOT more comfortable for me: while good overall, the oval ear pads were quite small and those were more like midway on/over-ear that fully around.

Both are great headphones but they will appeal to different people that might not understand one-another.

I might look at the PM-2 as a side-headphone for the warm moments, but certainly won't make the PM-1 my primary.

waiting for a little more burn in on the pm-1 but I do agree that the he-560 are more comfy. my ears rub a lot more on the pm-1 and the headband isn't as comfy. I have not tried the velours though.

May 11, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #192 of 219
Got a good chance to compare the HE560 to my own HD600 today. Level matched but on different amps.

I found that the HE560 still had a bit of that treble tizz that gets to me when listening at high levels. Not too different from what I remember the HE500 actually. In direct comparison, the HD600 had a much softer treble texture while maintaining equal (if not better/cleaner) attack. I would speculate that the HE560 does show to have a minor treble spike somewhere. Was ultimately hoping it might be more controlled and refined in the treble though.

Most of us agreed that the HE560 was superior at reproducing bass. On first listen, I actually didn't think it was significantly better. But part of it might be me preferring dynamic bass to ortho bass.

Regardless, I agree that the HE560 is an excellent headphone. Quite neutral and open-sounding which suits my two biggest priorities. But probably not good enough to pull me away from an eventual HD800 upgrade.

May 11, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #193 of 219
  Got a good chance to compare the HE560 to my own HD600 today. Level matched but on different amps.

I found that the HE560 still had a bit of that treble tizz that gets to me when listening at high levels. Not too different from what I remember the HE500 actually. In direct comparison, the HD600 had a much softer treble texture while maintaining equal (if not better/cleaner) attack. I would speculate that the HE560 does show to have a minor treble spike somewhere. Was ultimately hoping it might be more controlled and refined in the treble though.

Most of us agreed that the HE560 was superior at reproducing bass. On first listen, I actually didn't think it was significantly better. But part of it might be me preferring dynamic bass to ortho bass.

Regardless, I agree that the HE560 is an excellent headphone. Quite neutral and open-sounding which suits my two biggest priorities. But probably not good enough to pull me away from an eventual HD800 upgrade.

Looking at the HD600's FR graph, its treble does seem much less in quantity than any orthos I've seen. I've never owned the HD600 but did own the HD650, which was downright dark compared to the HE-400 that I now have. I don't mean that as necessarily a negative, as I know many do like the laid-back signature; but I personally prefer something a bit more true to life. One thing the HD650 does beat the HE400 at is a more linear upper midrange. Orthos seem to tend to have that upper mids and lower trebs recess that I really don't care for.

May 11, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #194 of 219

I have noticed a bit of treble tizz as well......I notice it more on vocals from various artists.  It is not sibilance, sounds like a slight vibration somewhere in the drivers.  Reducing the volume usually helps some.

Is anyone else hearing this?  Or is it possibly a problem with my pair!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back