= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Oct 10, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #8,806 of 21,176
Here's an interesting blurb of the Valhalla 2 from Purrin's 'Best Amps for HD800' list.  Note the Valhalla2 costs 350.

Schiit Valhalla 2 - Probably top third of this list in terms of SQ. Yes, that's how good it is. Fast, clear, resolving - more than holds its own compared to Crack. Not as warm though and tends toward neutral presentation. Does not work nearly as well with low Z or low sensitivity orthodynamic headphones. Best to stick with high Z Senns or Beyers. Not an insult to Schiit or Eddie Current, but someone made an Eddie Current amp for $349. Anaxilus Mods preferred with Valhalla.

He lists it as top third for SQ.  The list includes expensive beasts like the Cavalli LG, EC- 4-45, and Apex Teton.  

I'm not going to make my own conclusions from that writing, because I have no experience with the HD800 and the Valhalla2 together, nor have I ever seen an EC 4-45 or Apex Teton in person, but I thought it would be worthwhile to throw in that little paragraph since we're on the topic of needing high dollar amps for headphones to sound their best.

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #8,807 of 21,176
  Here's an interesting blurb of the Valhalla 2 from Purrin's 'Best Amps for HD800' list.  Note the Valhalla2 costs 350.

He lists it as top third for SQ.  The list includes expensive beasts like the Cavalli LG, EC- 4-45, and Apex Teton.  

I'm not going to make my own conclusions from that writing, because I have no experience with the HD800 and the Valhalla2 together, nor have I ever seen an EC 4-45 or Apex Teton in person, but I thought it would be worthwhile to throw little paragraph since we're on the topic of needing high dollar amps for headphones to sound their best.

I don't doubt that one bit, the DIY crack+speedball amp is one of the best for the HD800.  OTL amps are incredible with the high impedance cans.

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #8,808 of 21,176

From here? 

http://www.nostubestore.com/2011/12/mazda-ecc189-france.html

Those are the ones.  French tubes from Turkey.  I'm trying to stick pins in as many countries on the Tube Rolling Map of the World as I can 
wink.gif
  The pair I got are from May and December 1965 (that was random).  I paid the $4 or whatever for matching.  Zero problems with that seller, and they provided excellent communication.  They arrived faster than the average shipment from Russia or Ukraine, FWIW.

As for sound, I only have a few hours on them, but I find it enjoyable.  I don't want to say too much until they're approaching 100 hours, but atm it's all good (can't see them getting worse), and they're certainly worth the money.  YMMV, of course.  They're the second or third pair of ECC189s I got, and they run well in the Lyr.  Dunno about the Lyr 2.  Should be easy to find out.

So yeah, quite nice with the HE-560s.

Here is the date code info:

Etched Codes
IX1
±5E3  (3rd week of May 1965)

IX1
±5L4  (4th week of December 1965)

± is La Radiotechnique, Chartres (99.9% sure that was a Philips factory, since the factory code is on the Philips list)

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #8,809 of 21,176
Aw c'mon folks, when it comes to Amps and DACs, one can never spend enough. 
blink.gif
 **sarcasm**

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #8,810 of 21,176
  Aw c'mon folks, when it comes to Amps and DACs, one can never spend enough. 
blink.gif
 **sarcasm**

Spec me a $20K rig, starting with the Abyss.  I'm feeling peckish
biggrin.gif
  No Blue Circle schiit though 
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #8,811 of 21,176

Spec me a $20K rig, starting with the Abyss.  I'm feeling peckish
biggrin.gif
  No Blue Circle schiit though 
wink.gif

I listened to the AB-1266 with a Woo Audio WA-234.  That alone is over $20k.  Source was the Woo WDS-1 I believe.  I still liked the HE-560 more.  
redface.gif

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #8,812 of 21,176

I listened to the AB-1266 with a Woo Audio WA-234.  That alone is over $20k.  Source was the Woo WDS-1 I believe.  I still liked the HE-560 more.  
redface.gif

In reality I can only dream about listening to such a rig.  And I don't really dream about it.  And see, that's a good thing that you like the HE-560 more.  With what do you drive them?

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #8,813 of 21,176

redface.gif

What will you do with the $4.5K that you will save by getting the HE-560? Rangy (Thurston) will want to know.

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #8,814 of 21,176

I'm not going to make my own conclusions from that writing, because I have no experience with the HD800 and the Valhalla2 together, nor have I ever seen an EC 4-45 or Apex Teton in person, but I thought it would be worthwhile to throw in that little paragraph since we're on the topic of needing high dollar amps for headphones to sound their best.

I don't mind making conclusions, because I've owned the hd800/Val 2 combo for months. The Val 2 is crazy good for the money. I'm amazed that it's not getting more attention around here and I can only guess that it's the popularity of the planar mags that holding it back (Val 2). But even with 400i the Val 2 is impressive. The he560 is a different story. 

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #8,815 of 21,176

In reality I can only dream about listening to such a rig.  And I don't really dream about it.  And see, that's a good thing that you like the HE-560 more.  With what do you drive them?

I don't own the HE-560 but I did listen to it a lot, using the Headamp GS-X Mk2 with DACT and Ayre Acoustics QB-9.  Now don't get me wrong, the AB-1266 sounds excellent.  Extremely detailed, very fast, very open, excellent imaging.  However, its mids didn't appeal to me as much as I would have liked, and it's the least comfortable headphone I've ever worn.  My dream rig is the Stax SR-009 + BHSE + a top of the line source like the QB-9, which is another setup I auditioned.  

What will you do with the $4.5K that you will save by getting the HE-560? Rangy (Thurston) will want to know.

I haven't thought about that yet.  
tongue.gif

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #8,816 of 21,176
  No Blue Circle schiit though :wink:
am glad u believe that..as in so their minimum of 6months backlog is one person less to wait behind...and so one happy person will get his amp a little sooner...so thanks my friend for being so nice to others...wouldnt expect otherwise from u :veryevil:

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #8,817 of 21,176
am glad u believe that..as in so their minimum of 6months backlog is one person less to wait behind...and so one happy person will get his amp a little sooner...so thanks my friend for being so nice to others...wouldnt expect otherwise from u
very_evil_smiley.gif

Paulo, when did you develop this mean streak?!? Is Skyline anticipation pushing you over the edge Bro?
wink_face.gif

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #8,818 of 21,176
I can confirm that the HE-560 can be amped with Objective 2, though with some caveats. Since it's approaching the upper limits of the amplifier's capabilities, the output voltage of the DAC/source and the O2 gain settings have to be considered carefully as to not overload the O2s input stage. 

Many make the mistake of switching the O2 to high gain (6.5x) for orthos like the HE-5X0, and with a DAC outputting more than 1v (1.5v for the Fiio X5 in my case), it will sound brittle and harsh because the amp is being overloaded. With the O2 on 2.5x gain with a DAC/source voltage of 2.2-2.5, or  gain of 3.5 with a DAC/source voltage of 1.5 -1.7v, it should be able to get to painful volume levels and not clip at all. It's going to sound like an HE-560. 

While it doesn't have the same amount of raw power as the 1-4W desktop amps, it's the same principle as keeping a turbocharged 4 cylinder on its power band by using the right gear, to chase down a V12 supercar. 
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #8,819 of 21,176
  I can confirm that the HE-560 can be amped with Objective 2, though with some caveats. Since it's approaching the upper limits of the amplifier's capabilities, the output voltage of the DAC/source and the O2 gain settings have to be considered carefully as to not overload the O2s input stage. 

Many make the mistake of putting the O2 to high gain (6.5x) for orthos like the HE-5X0, and with a DAC outputting more than 1v (1.5v for the Fiio X5 in my case), it will sound brittle and harsh because the amp is being overloaded. With the O2 on 2.5x gain with a DAC/source voltage of 2.2-2.5, or  gain of 3.5 with a DAC/source voltage of 1.5 -1.7v, it should be able to get to painful volume levels and not clip at all. It's going to sound like an HE-560. 

While it doesn't have the same amount of raw power as the 1-4W desktop amps, it's the same principle as keeping a turbocharged 4 cylinder on its power band by using the right gear, to chase down a V12 supercar. 
evil_smiley.gif

Don't expect a Blue Circle Christmas card from Hifi.

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #8,820 of 21,176
am glad u believe that..as in so their minimum of 6months backlog is one person less to wait behind...and so one happy person will get his amp a little sooner...so thanks my friend for being so nice to others...wouldnt expect otherwise from u
very_evil_smiley.gif

In the realm of the theoretical I play both angel and devil.  I leave it to you to figure out which hat I'm wearing at any given moment 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back