= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Oct 10, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #8,776 of 21,179

So do you feel that they hit hard, as per TM's definition?

He 560 is slightly faster, but no way are they hitting harder or have more punch than the LCD3C. The LCD 3C is like a full floor speaker and the HE 560 like a good bookshelf speakers.

Oct 10, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #8,777 of 21,179

Good review but can't agree on the bass part. You need a really really good amp/dac to get the most out of the LCD in my experience. Maybe the Asgard 2 is the problem. When I had the NFB15 with the LCD3F, although it was a very good pairing, it was just meh in comparison to the Conductor or Auralic/Vega. The LCD gave the HE-400 a good kicking in the bass. After having the LCD3F/Conductor for 2 weeks, I felt like throwing my HE-400 out onto the road and watching it get run over by the trucks. Coming from the HE-400 and testing the LCD3 first up on the Auralic/Vega when buying it, my initial impression was, wow!!!, this has awesome hard hitting bass (and I can actually hear the vocals now too, the HE-400 sucked at vocals). Then when I saw the price tag of $6k I tried the Conductor and the bass was even slightly harder hitting. I have tried about 10 different amps (mostly cheaper ones trying to save money, not as many dacs) and the matching makes a big difference. Something like the Conductor (at about $2k) is the absolute minimum to get the best out of what the LCD3 is capable of (the Auralic/Vega is the best I have ever heard).

Sadly, when I auditioned the HE-560, it sounded pretty boring including its bass, but that seems to be the case with most headphones I try to these days. The LCD3F tends to do that.

The LCD3 C really needs a fast and transparent amp and in my book the Burson Soloist is not optimal, to laid back.

Oct 10, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #8,778 of 21,179
  Has anyone in this thread used the HE-560 with the balanced dac/amp Audio-gd NFB28?

Hello. I've tried the HE-560 with balanced Nfb-28.

To me it sounds much better than the normal output. They have a more present, a little more serious and a sharp scene more alive with better dynamics.

Although as the nfb-28 is neutral and the HE-560 also. Maybe this couple is a bit bland or boring. Much prefer the HE-500 balanced with Nfb-28.

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #8,779 of 21,179
He 560 is slightly faster, but no way are they hitting harder or have more punch than the LCD3C. The LCD 3C is like a full floor speaker and the HE 560 like a good bookshelf speakers.

I have to say that I agree with this, but I don't think my setup is doing the HE-560 justice at all. They're enjoyable enough out of my Soloist SL: the detail, treble extension and speed that others talk about is evident, but bass is pretty much nonexistent and they sound thin and a bit congested too. In short, they sound underpowered.

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #8,781 of 21,179
I have to say that I agree with this, but I don't think my setup is doing the HE-560 justice at all. They're enjoyable enough out of my Soloist SL: the detail, treble extension and speed that others talk about is evident, but bass is pretty much nonexistent and they sound thin and a bit congested too. In short, they sound underpowered.

Try out other amps..or let someone design and built you one according the specs/ sound character of your he560 ( and to be future proof: he6, just in case u get one:). ) :D

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #8,782 of 21,179
Try out other amps..or let someone design and built you one according the specs/ sound character of your he560 ( and to be future proof: he6, just in case u get one:). ) :D

I was just about to edit my post. When I wrote that I was listening to Highway 61 Revisited which has a lot going on at once. The congestion and lack of bass isn't a problem with other music, but you're right - my amp isn't ideal. They're strange headphones to get a handle on. I need to listen more before opening my trap again :)

And I can't for the life of me think of anyone who could custom build me an amp. Any suggestions? :)

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #8,783 of 21,179

Hello. I've tried the HE-560 with balanced Nfb-28.

To me it sounds much better than the normal output. They have a more present, a little more serious and a sharp scene more alive with better dynamics.

Although as the nfb-28 is neutral and the HE-560 also. Maybe this couple is a bit bland or boring. Much prefer the HE-500 balanced with Nfb-28.

I happy you wrote me, thanks i appreciate the bit of impressions you can give, I happy to like neutral sound, so in regards to that do you think I would like the pairing? I also heard that the HE500 is awesome with it.

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #8,784 of 21,179
There's also the fact that through the years, Audeze has slowly changed the sound of their headphones from being heavier in the bass to lighter in the bass.  Clearly the amping is not the problem here if I felt the Audeze wasn't hitting harder on the Asgard2, and Jerg felt the same with the Conductor and an Eddie Current.  We both hear perfectly fine too.

I'm not wasting my money at all by 'using a 200 dollar amp with 2000 dollar headphones.'  That makes it sound like you value their cost way too much.  First of all, headphones are 90% of the overall sound in a chain, so I am happy I get to hear the LCD3 and get a fundamental understanding of how it sounds, without having to go overboard on upstream equipment.  Second, both the Asgard2 and Uber Bifrost punch well above their weight in terms of cost is the opinion from ears I trust (those same ears also have extensive experience with amps and dacs costing multiple thousands of dollars.)  Clearly, throwing more money at the headphone isn't the underlying issue here.

LCD2/LC3 doesn't hit hard?  Yeah, that's exactly what I hear.  Their bass is more atmospheric than visceral, as is with planar magnetics in general.  If it helps you any, I let my friend (a beats owner) try both the LCD3 and HE-560.  He's not really an audiophile, but he's come to use very vague terminology over the years thanks to me-- words like airy and layered to describe certain things.  He thought the LCD3 had more bass but he thought the HE-560 hit harder.

There's nothing wrong with any of our ears, and most likely nothing wrong with the upstream gear.  Hell, even Tyll says that he thinks the most recent Audezes aside from the LCD-X could use more bass.  I don't agree that they could use more bass, but I do agree that the LCD-X and XC (which use the same driver) are the bassiest Audezes I've heard, with LCD2 and LCD3 being more subdued-- a complete 180 compared to the general conclusion from Audeze followers saying that the LCD-X is thinner in the low end and more neutral than the 2/3.

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #8,785 of 21,179

I don’t think it’s only about power. I have had the big Soloist (4w) and it is its laid back character that didn’t play as good with LCD 3 as for example HE 500. With the 500 the phone itself probable was the dynamic restraining factor. I don’t have the Soloist anymore so can’t say about the paring it with HE560. Master 9 is an amp what plays very well with all headphones I have tried both SQ and power handling vice.

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #8,786 of 21,179
  There's also the fact that through the years, Audeze has slowly changed the sound of their headphones from being heavier in the bass to lighter in the bass.  Clearly the amping is not the problem here if I felt the Audeze wasn't hitting harder on the Asgard2, and Jerg felt the same with the Conductor and an Eddie Current.  We both hear perfectly fine too.

I'm not wasting my money at all by 'using a 200 dollar amp with 2000 dollar headphones.'  That makes it sound like you value their cost way too much.  First of all, headphones are 90% of the overall sound in a chain, so I am happy I get to hear the LCD3 and get a fundamental understanding of how it sounds, without having to go overboard on upstream equipment.  Second, both the Asgard2 and Uber Bifrost punch well above their weight in terms of cost is the opinion from ears I trust (those same ears also have extensive experience with amps and dacs costing multiple thousands of dollars.)  Clearly, throwing more money at the headphone isn't the underlying issue here.

LCD2/LC3 doesn't hit hard?  Yeah, that's exactly what I hear.  Their bass is more atmospheric than visceral, as is with planar magnetics in general.  If it helps you any, I let my friend (a beats owner) try both the LCD3 and HE-560.  He's not really an audiophile, but he's come to use very vague terminology over the years thanks to me-- words like airy and layered to describe certain things.  He thought the LCD3 had more bass but he thought the HE-560 hit harder.

There's nothing wrong with any of our ears, and most likely nothing wrong with the upstream gear.  Hell, even Tyll says that he thinks the most recent Audezes aside from the LCD-X could use more bass.  I don't agree that they could use more bass, but I do agree that the LCD-X and XC (which use the same driver) are the bassiest Audezes I've heard, with LCD2 and LCD3 being more subdued-- a complete 180 compared to the general conclusion from Audeze followers saying that the LCD-X is thinner in the low end and more neutral than the 2/3.

I really can appreciate the last part about being able to get a nice value with gear that doesn't cost 1000$ and with a more expensive headphone and still getting a great sound and chemistry between the two, both the 300$ Geek out1000 and the amp from the Alo PanAm sound amazing with the HE-560

Do I think that the headphones only get better with better gear, yes of course, do I think one needs a 1000 dollar amp to enjoy the HE-560, most definitely no. I have not heard LCD3 but I have heard and own the HE-560(grill and pad modded) and I think they have great impact and speed in the low end. 

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #8,787 of 21,179

Agreed. The bass on the Audeze line is going in the wrong direction. The sub bass with the lcd2.2 c (pre-fazor) is the best that I've heard. It remains the most extended ruler flat bass in the game. The fazor tech honestly ruined the signature for me. It was still enjoyable but the performance and enjoyment was not the same IMO. 

The lcd2.2c bass did in fact "hit hard" IMO. While the lcd2.2f bass did not. How does that compare to the he560 bass. I'll let you know on Saturday when mine get here. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #8,788 of 21,179
I was just about to edit my post. When I wrote that I was listening to Highway 61 Revisited which has a lot going on at once. The congestion and lack of bass isn't a problem with other music, but you're right - my amp isn't ideal. They're strange headphones to get a handle on. I need to listen more before opening my trap again :)

And I can't for the life of me think of anyone who could custom build me an amp. Any suggestions? :)

I myself own a very special custom Blue Circle Audio amp (SS amp based on their TOTL speaker amp the NSL), designed and built to drive a he6 optimal..

i now use it to drive my code-x (an almost as hard to drive headphone)..but it wasnt cheap..but i understand that they since recently built more affordable amps that can drive all hifiman models...contact them..u have nothing to loose and questions are free :wink:
Very nice and capable people there..they could handle me perfectly..and stayed friendly and helpful...and if u know me a bit (i am VERY demanding when i want something done) and know they could handle me well..then u can count on it that their customer service is topnotch..as my god..sometimes i was a real pain in the peep with my demands to them..but they always treated me with respect and patience..BIG RESPECT from me...and thats why i am positive about them..yeah they make superb stuff (ask other BC owners).. But for me the service and how they treat customers AND how they respect their competitors is sometimes just as important for me.

For custom tube amps...check out the xcellent Glenn tube amps...they are built by a fellow headfi'er..and i understand those are really topnotch...perfect quality also..ask our fellow member ULTRAINFERNO (i learned a lot from him when I had my modded darkvoice 337, tubewise)..he owns a custom glenn tube amp..i never owned one..but i trust ultrainferno's ears as being very good..and he says (and others) that those amps (for the money they sell for) are among the best soundwise in tube amp land.

Ps..maybe important to know....BC is in Canada and Glenn tube amps is in USA..ur in UK..so postage could be a bit..well...expensive and both brands dont use light budget components in their products :p (i am in the netherlands, so u can imagine i fainted when i heared about the postage costs/ taxes etc. to my doorstep for my very heavy amp.lolz)

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #8,789 of 21,179
Just about anything pales in comparison to the lcd 2.2 or pre-fazor lcd 3 bass, those were my cans for years until I couldn't stand the discomfort any longer.  The HE 560 sounds very thin in comparison to those, but not compared to the more recent fazored versions.

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #8,790 of 21,179

Agreed. The bass on the Audeze line is going in the wrong direction. The sub bass with the lcd2.2 c (pre-fazor) is the best that I've heard. It remains the most extended ruler flat bass in the game. The fazor tech honestly ruined the signature for me. It was still enjoyable but the performance and enjoyment was not the same IMO. 

The lcd2.2c bass did in fact "hit hard" IMO. While the lcd2.2f bass did not. How does that compare to the he560 bass. I'll let you know on Saturday when mine get here. 
biggrin.gif

Have you heard the LCD 3C? The 3C hits as hard as the LCD 2C, but have a soundstage, treble etc. witch the LCD 2C don’t do very well IMO. The HE 560 is a very good headphone in all except the slightly lack of body (both in low mids and bass).  Than it comes to full sound and slam they are still good, but not at the level of the LCD 3C. The HE 560 is a bit faster, more open sounded and have more energy/quantity in the upper mids and treble than the LCD 3C. The HE 560 SQ is more like the LCD 3F than the LCD 3C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back