= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 16, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #5,462 of 21,175
To be more precise, it's more of a rattling noise.

Jul 16, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #5,464 of 21,175
  Wow, someone has already posted a classified with the (production) HE-560... I knew it would happen eventually!

There were a few it seems, couple pre-orders (pre-Prod, I guess), but now it looks like just cute's is left.

Jul 16, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #5,466 of 21,175
  I disagree with the comparison sound quality wise.

I'll post a small comparison here myself and I'll go into more detail in what I hear.

Comfort:
Focus - are firmer, decompress less and therefore accommodate for pointy ears, should last longer
Focus-A - softer, decompress more, won't accommodate thicker ears as well, would last a shorter time due to more decompression

I find the Focus pads more comfy. I have bigger ears, slightly pointy and even though the Focus-A are softer and possibly more comfy short term, they build up heat faster. The Focus pads provide better foundation for my ears and best the Focus-As in long term comfort and heat build up. They are also made a bit better but that's not an issue.

Focus pads get the nod from me here. If you have small ears, tightly tucked to your head, you'll probably prefer the Focus-As but they will still deteriorate quicker by the looks of it.
They both get an A+ in comfort though, have not used more comfy pads than the Focuses and they beat the old velour/pleather pads by a mile for me. YMMV.

Now to the Sound:
I was skeptical about any differences but I do hear a subtle difference here... YMMV and we all hear differently but this is subjectively what I hear and what my preference is.

Highs:
Focus-A - smoother, less presence
Focus - bit more aggressive, a bit more bite

Vocals
Focus-A - rounder and smoother, more romantic and natural
Focus - a bit more pronounced, slightly harsher, more presence

Mids:
Focus-A - smoother across
Focus - slightly more bite

Bass
Focus-A - a bit more impact
Focus - less impact, a bit tighter

Imaging
Focus-A - slightly less definition/precision
Focus - slightly more precise/distinctive

Soundstage
Focus-A - smaller, more intimate
Focus - a bit bigger, more spacious

Overall
Focus-A - warmer tonality, more akin to HE-500
Focus - brighter tonality, more akin to HE-6

Obviously take this with a grain of salt. I spent about 2 hours comparing the pads and came to the conclusion above. I prefer the Focus pad for both their build quality/comfort and sound quality. A lot of it is probably attributable to the upper midrange/ lower treble spike, but it gives everything a bit more bite and vigor and the soundstage and imaging gets a bit cleaner...

In conclusion, I am happy with both pads and would easily be happy with the Focus-A only but the choice, being there, I prefer the Focus by a bit [the only area where the Focus-A edge them slightly is vocal smoothness, but in trade for slightly less presence]. The Focus-A will be there as a  more-than-adequate backup or a possible, albeit slight, signature tune for brighter gear, brighter HiFiMANs, etc.

My 2 cents 
smily_headphones1.gif

Agree with this almost entirely.  Focus-A to me has less detail retrieval, narrower soundstage, and poorer imaging.  I also prefer the bass with Focus pads.  Focus-A is significantly more comfortable for me, which stinks because the Focus are a clear winner for me personally in terms of sound.

Jul 16, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #5,467 of 21,175
So if these are supposed to be easier to drive than the HE-6 or HE-500(?) then those must be awful to find amps for.

I know my choices of amps haven't been the best but I really need a portable amp for my home use.  It's a matter of only being able to put my money into one set-up and I need to be able to get up and move around from my shop to shop or from my desk to the stitching machine etc. 
So...  
I would be very grateful to anyone who could steer me to something that will work and sound better than my current options.

I have tried the Fostex HP-P1 only because I had it for my previous phones and kept it around just to see.  Not enough and doesn't sound as good as the others.

I also have a CLAS(original) with and ALO Continental.  This is currently my favourite set up for these though I am looking to change the Continental to perhaps the ALO Rx Mk3B (???) That said though, I can run the Continental on low gain with the dial at 3 o'clock and get more than the Centrance maxed out.  

I also have the CEntrance HiFi-M8 that Tyll said "because this amp will drive anything".  Bah..   I have this on max gain and the dial almost maxed and on some albums thats not even enough.  I usually hate the sound of any amp on the high gain setting as it always sounds compressed and overlapping..

The Centrance has better spatial cues and depth but congested and poorer detail retrieval than the CLAS/ALO combination.
That pairing is a little more intimate and sometimes artificially so.  That's not something I've noticed on other phones so I wonder if it hasn't the power needed even if it has the gain.

So for a lark I tried to plug it into my old Creek 5350SE integrated amp just out of the headphone jack and again I had the dial up at about 3 o'clock.  There was a good sense of spaciousness with the Creek but not very good detail.  Like looking into a room through a sheer curtain.

My current next candidate, is to try the ALO Rx Mk3B.  I have tried the SR-71B in the past with T1s and HD800s running balanced and preferred the Continental's sound over it so I don't think I want to go back the the RSA sound..
Heck, I even went to the local shop to try a Grado PS-500 as a way to bypass this amp quest but I really didn't like them.

Any other helpful ideas, other than tell me I'm nuts for trying to get these to work in a portable set up?  

I like what I sense is the potential in these headphones but these, more than any other phone I have had feel like they need more.

I'd like to think there's a good match out there...  Maybe I just need to exorcize the Stax 007mk/sr717 sound out of my head.  Even with an ipod and CLAS as a source, those sounded glorious.   

Also, I'm looking forward to not having a left Focus pad and a right FocusA pad.  I honestly think that that is throwing the sound off a little.  

Jul 16, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #5,469 of 21,175
So if these are supposed to be easier to drive than the HE-6 or HE-500(?) then those must be awful to find amps for.

I know my choices of amps haven't been the best but I really need a portable amp for my home use.  It's a matter of only being able to put my money into one set-up and I need to be able to get up and move around from my shop to shop or from my desk to the stitching machine etc. 
So...  
I would be very grateful to anyone who could steer me to something that will work and sound better than my current options.

I'd ask you to try a CL Duet with your CLAS but I haven't heard it with the original CLAS, only the CLAS -dB in a balanced pairing. The Duet's more powerful than the ALO.

Also check out the RSA Intruder and the iFi micro iDSD!! I haven't heard either but power wise, they may fare better than your current amps (especially the micro iDSD)

Jul 16, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #5,470 of 21,175
wow, the focus A pads are way more comfortable than the velors.  I like the softness.

Jul 16, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #5,471 of 21,175

So...  

[COLOR=333333]Also, I'm looking forward to not having a left Focus pad and a right FocusA pad.  I honestly think that that is throwing the sound off a little.  [/COLOR]
may i suggest to ask a certain someone, who made very good sounding monoblock poweramps into a pair of ladies pumps because of a bet..and a preamp to go with them in a lady bag... Am sure if u present ur dilema to him he can come up with a very good portable solution for u... ... They make some very special stuff... If they cant make it..no one can i think...the headhoncho is a nice but a bit weird guy named Gilbert...check my signature for the brand (in canada) and sent them a mail...u have nothing to loose and a mail doesnt cost ya a thing..good luck with ur quest :p

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #5,473 of 21,175
  Is every album you're listening to from Jethro Tull?  I've gotten the 560 loud enough off an iPod.

I forgot to mention that  even straight off an ipod, it's almost as loud as the Centrance on max gain..  I'm really starting to wonder about this Centrance.

But, it's more with larger scale orchestral pieces with lots of dynamics that I feel the Centrance suffering.  .
  To: S. Branson. Portable system? Phone + Hugo + TH900s.

Well, the hugo is well out of my budget and if the TH900s sound anything like the TH600s, I won't like them, but again, those are out of my budget.  The HE560s are pushing it as it is.
This isn't an outside portable, just one I can put over my shoulder so I can get up and walk down the hall to the other workshop.

I'd ask you to try a CL Duet with your CLAS but I haven't heard it with the original CLAS, only the CLAS -dB in a balanced pairing. The Duet's more powerful than the ALO.

Also check out the RSA Intruder and the iFi micro iDSD!! I haven't heard either but power wise, they may fare better than your current amps (especially the micro iDSD)

Thanks.  I will look into those suggestions. 
may i suggest to ask a certain someone, who made very good sounding monoblock poweramps into a pair of ladies pumps because of a bet..and a preamp to go with them in a lady bag... Am sure if u present ur dilema to him he can come up with a very good portable solution for u... ... They make some very special stuff... If they cant make it..no one can i think...the headhoncho is a nice but a bit weird guy named Gilbert...check my signature for the brand (in canada) and sent them a mail...u have nothing to loose and a mail doesnt cost ya a thing..good luck with ur quest
tongue.gif

I remember when those crazy amps came out.  I saw them in person and wondered who would actually buy them.  ha..

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #5,474 of 21,175

So...  

I can highly recommend the CLAS -dB and the RSA Intruder as a combo... amazing sound with both my HE-560 and HD800.

Dale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back