= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 16, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #5,446 of 21,175
  Plus the Mjolnir is said to be an aggressive amp -> while it could be great to give a kick to Audeze's lacking treble, the Hifiman rather need something smoother/warmer.

MLE had great results with Lyr + HE-4. Considering how close the HE-560 is to the HE-4, and the direction Schiit went with the Lyr 2 (less thick), it could be a very good match indeed. 

Yes very good point.

The Mjolnir is almost too bright with the LCD-X so I'm pretty sure that it's not going to be a good match with the 560s.

Jul 16, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #5,447 of 21,175
  Was this from Head direct as well? I think they should seriously consider double boxing their shipments, like headroom and many other places do. Otherwise this type of issues are inevitable. I don't really care much about fancy boxes. I even consider the uber-fancy box of the Oppo PM-1 a negative, as I don't want to pay for a fancy box. Than again, what good is a nice box if it arrives broken?

Mine is from Head-Direct as well. 
I agree with you they should should seriously consider double boxing

Jul 16, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #5,448 of 21,175
HEY SONIC DEFENDER!! GUESS WHOSE IMPRESSIONS ARE FEATURED ON THE FRONT PAGE  
wink_face.gif

Jul 16, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #5,449 of 21,175
  HEY SONIC DEFENDER!! GUESS WHOSE IMPRESSIONS ARE FEATURED ON THE FRONT PAGE  
wink_face.gif

I saw that, wish I had put more information into the post! I went back and removed where I had used the words damn, and hell. They just don't read that well! Cheers.

Jul 16, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #5,450 of 21,175
On a few tracks that I'm listening to that have an ambient rumble part, I'm getting this strange tinny vibrating sound coming from the right earcup. Has anyone else had this problem? Or is this possibly a defective unit? I've never heard this from any other headphone I've owned and it occurs only in the right earcup.

I especially notice it on this track:

Jul 16, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #5,452 of 21,175
How much power can the project ember + supercharger output?

If what people are saying about the HE-560 having an impedance of 50 ohms, it should be outputting well over 2W from the low output impedance setting.

Jul 16, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #5,453 of 21,175

On a few tracks that I'm listening to that have an ambient rumble part, I'm getting this strange tinny vibrating sound coming from the right earcup. Has anyone else had this problem? Or is this possibly a defective unit? I've never heard this from any other headphone I've owned and it occurs only in the right earcup.

I especially notice it on this track:

Didn't really notice anything except a little bit of distortion on right side after 4:40. But I suppose it's the bass making the problem?

Jul 16, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #5,454 of 21,175
  Didn't really notice anything except a little bit of distortion on right side after 4:40. But I suppose it's the bass making the problem?

It's weird because the problem occurs only when there's an ambient part with bass. I've already emailed HiFiMAN about it, hopefully I can get a replacement unit. The issue is getting annoying, especially when it happens on some of my favorite tracks.

Jul 16, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #5,455 of 21,175

It's weird because the problem occurs only when there's an ambient part with bass. I've already emailed HiFiMAN about it, hopefully I can get a replacement unit. The issue is getting annoying, especially when it happens on some of my favorite tracks.

People have had problems on bassy passages because of hair or dust, even the cable inside the cups touching the driver. Try doing some sine sweeps, see if you find a specific frequency or something like that.

Jul 16, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #5,457 of 21,175
My HE-400 had a hair stuck on its left diaphragm at one point that was causing some extra rattling during low bass passages.  I would assume the same could happen with the HE-560 as well, especially since there's no magnets on the on-ear side.

Jul 16, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #5,459 of 21,175
  People have had problems on bassy passages because of hair or dust, even the cable inside the cups touching the driver. Try doing some sine sweeps, see if you find a specific frequency or something like that.

I tried a sine sweep and the rattling actually continues from 20 Hz up past 200 Hz. I've already opened up the right grill to see if there's any foreign object in there but I haven't been able to find anything.

Jul 16, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #5,460 of 21,175

I tried a sine sweep and the rattling actually continues from 20 Hz up past 200 Hz. I've already opened up the right grill to see if there's any foreign object in there but I haven't been able to find anything.

What about that problem that Jerg found on the earliest pre-production with the mount rings? Sounds like it could be related being in the bass region and rattle. My set doesn't have this issue, could be loose screws?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back