= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 17, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #5,491 of 21,179
For sure...
I had an interesting experience like this though as while I was waiting for this preorder, I sold my HE400s in response to a wanted ad and wanted something in the interim.  Having liked the T1s in the past, I saw a good deal on the Beyer T90s and got them in.
At first I didn't really like them but got used to the sound and came to think that they sounded pretty good.  After messing around with the HE560s though, I went back to "remember" and boy, the t90s did not sound anywhere near as good as I had acclimatized myself to accepting.  

My response was more to the seemingly subtle and interesting "warm and cold" comment and Jerg's response.

That wine experiment didn't catch all the experts with their pants down but it highlighted that bias plays a very great role in perception.

Jul 17, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #5,492 of 21,179

What I said has nothing to do with the general ability to enjoy music, the two are not mutually exclusive. I was specifically speaking to the OP feeling confused that his partner wasn't taken with the musical reproduction benefits of his gear that traditionally an audiophile would. And Ron12, be honest with yourself, if you wanted to enjoy music given the choice would you really reach for a crappy little radio or opt for better gear? We are talking about preferences and tendencies, not absolutes.

So far, all the people that listened to my setup heard the difference... No matter age or gender or education or whatever. And the OP also stated his wife said she finds the sound of ones setup nice. BUT... The difference is not large enough for 99 % of people (as I said) and that's perfectly normal and expected - so I didnt expect anything else to happen in my case.

If I wanted to enjoy music, I would use my setup if I had the time and situation would allow me to do so (low noise, dry hairs etc.). For the rest of the time, I would use the crappy radio ,-)

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #5,493 of 21,179

So far, all the people that listened to my setup heard the difference... No matter age or gender or education or whatever. And the OP also stated his wife said she finds the sound of ones setup nice. BUT... The difference is not large enough for 99 % of people (as I said) and that's perfectly normal and expected - so I didnt expect anything else to happen in my case.

If I wanted to enjoy music, I would use my setup if I had the time and situation would allow me to do so (low noise, dry hairs etc.). For the rest of the time, I would use the crappy radio ,-)

Looks like we see things the same way. That said I remain convinced that I appreciate music as much as gear, but they are still somewhat dependent on quality. I have to admit, I think I would almost all of the time skip listening music if my only choice was the Sony boombox in our kitchen and wait until I had the chance to use my system. I have been like that since being a teenager. It isn't that I like the gear through the music, I like the music through the gear and feel I miss so much without at least a minimal level of reproduction ability. I find my portable rig very satisfying for what that is worth so it isn't all about monies spent. I am also like that with coffee, unless I am extremely desperate I will skip a coffee if it is say Tim Horton's until I can get a coffee that I find more flavourful. Not sure if that makes me some kind of snob, but it is what it is. Takes all kinds to make the world go round they say.

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #5,494 of 21,179
So, I've been playing around with an HD800 (that I was generously loaned to by another Headfi'er) and thought I'd share some brief impressions with it vs HE560 here. I might add song comparisons and make this more detailed in the future when I get more time.

Build/Comfort: As expected, the HD800 takes the edge here. The cable is larger, tangles less easier, and the headphone feels a lot better in general. My only issue is both headphones need to work on their locking mechanisms. Hifiman screw-ons are a pain in the ass to use and the HD800 requires a lot of force to pull the cable out.

Both are super comfortable, the HD800 though has less pressure on the top of my head/sides. The HE560 isn't too far behind with just a touch more clamping force but both are great.

Sound... what everyone cares for.

Now, a lot of people keep asking how the HE560 compares to the HD800, kind of unfair since the HD800 is lot more expensive and radically different tech wise. But, to my ears, the HD800 is ahead of the HE560 by quite a big margin technically speaking. Soundstage is larger in both width and depth, imaging is more precise while the HE560 can get congested a bit, and they're a lot clearer in the treble.

The HE560 pulls ahead in being a crowd pleaser, it has a great tone to it and is much more acceptable in terms of genre flexibility. The HD800 can get a touch bright at times (though not as bad as people make it out to be IMO). There really isn't anything that sounds awful on HE560 while the HD800 is more critical to bad source files.

Bass is also better on HE560, they can really give you a nice rumble in the sub bass (<50hz) while the HD800 sounds more dry. Sometimes, I switched back to HE560 and there's a deep bass note that tickles my ears and went unheard of in the HD800. On the other hand, I switch back to HD800 and note clearer cymbals and little tiny details that were not as apparent on HE560. For example, the reverb on a song went on for 5 seconds, getting lower in volume in steps and I can clearly hear the last note. The HE560 cut off that reverb earlier. I had never heard that reverb go on that long, ever, and I had that song for a year in my library.

I'm personally enjoying the HD800 more, but, really only if the music is decently mastered (which most of my library is). The HD800 sounds breathtakingly real with some tracks but then it's quite harsh on another.
When playing pop and other poor recordings, I definitely grab the HE560 for the stronger bass, warmer mids, and more forgiving sound in general. Jazz, classical, and well mastered music (like Kraftwerk, Die Mensch Maschine vinyl, Rage Against the Machine's self titled album, vinyl rip again, and most Massive Attack albums) I grab the HD800s for their better clarity and larger soundstage.

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #5,495 of 21,179

Looks like we see things the same way. That said I remain convinced that I appreciate music as much as gear, but they are still somewhat dependent on quality. I have to admit, I think I would almost all of the time skip listening music if my only choice was the Sony boombox in our kitchen and wait until I had the chance to use my system. I have been like that since being a teenager. It isn't that I like the gear through the music, I like the music through the gear and feel I miss so much without at least a minimal level of reproduction ability. I find my portable rig very satisfying for what that is worth so it isn't all about monies spent. I am also like that with coffee, unless I am extremely desperate I will skip a coffee if it is say Tim Horton's until I can get a coffee that I find more flavourful. Not sure if that makes me some kind of snob, but it is what it is. Takes all kinds to make the world go round they say.

I like the way you think mate 
beerchug.gif

For me, it is pretty hard to get used to lesser or different gear than what I am used to with my "reference" setup.
The differences sometimes are and sometimes aren't night and day but having the choice more often that not I obviously enjoy the best I could get or rather what I like...
Otherwise I am always reminded of what exactly I am missing on 
biggrin.gif

That is to say, I am still tuning my HE-560 setups to my highly demanding standards 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #5,498 of 21,179
  I like the way you think mate 
beerchug.gif

For me, it is pretty hard to get used to lesser or different gear than what I am used to with my "reference" setup.
The differences sometimes are and sometimes aren't night and day but having the choice more often that not I obviously enjoy the best I could get or rather what I like...
Otherwise I am always reminded of what exactly I am missing on 
biggrin.gif

That is to say, I am still tuning my HE-560 setups to my highly demanding standards 
rolleyes.gif

I hear you, and nothing wrong with knowing what you like and stating where your sonic line in the sand is. I guess if sound fidelity wasn't important engineers wouldn't bother and albums would be recorded by drunk people with Radio Shack mics and 8 Track Recorders!

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #5,499 of 21,179
Is the Focus-A pads worth paying for? I love the sound of the HE-560 already and don't see any real weakness in it.

They sound a little warmer and are more toned down IMO since they get rid of some peaks (4khz for example) compared to the new pads. Others seem to agree as well and the measurements posted back that up too.

The difference really isn't that big though, at least to my ears. It's fairly minor/subtle.

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #5,500 of 21,179
Are the 4K peaks really that noticeable in real listening situations? I ask as I have recently been doing some quality online hearing tests just to try and gauge how my hearing is, and the 4k frequency seems like it would be a rather subtle part of the sound. Maybe I am just out to lunch there.

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #5,501 of 21,179
  I just finished a nice, but short listening session but I left realizing just how fast and agile the 560 is, very impressive. I am also noticing something that may be a characteristic of planar bass reproduction in general. While there seems to be less thud bass impact what I notice with the bass (and frankly with all of the frequencies we compare) is that with my dynamics bass seems to feel more rounded and thud impact, but with a planar the sound impulses seem very evenly and fully distributed across the sound field. I am having a hard time articulating this, but while perhaps having less round bass changes how impact is perceived the bass is more immersive and very nuanced. I like this very much. This is my first planar headphone and if this type of sonic characteristic is at all normal or all in my head (no pun intended) I haven't the faintest.

I like the 560 and I have to admit, with a little more time together I am now hearing the Asgard 2 as being able to drive the 560 better than I first thought. Perhaps I needed to get used to the somewhat different planar versus dynamic can presentation? Anyway, so far I am quite infatuated with my new headphone. Does it show? 

The first 75 hours of breaking in the 560's go thru numerous changes, and then they start getting settled in over the next 75 hours. The first hours are up and down in sound quality. But, I can say with no uncertainty that the 560 after 150 or so hours is one of the best I've ever heard... or remembering those I've had. My Lyr 2 with the right tubes is driving them to sonic splendor. I'm still in the process of tube rolling with about 180 hours on my 560's.

The whole system from source to the 560's are very important. I had to change my IC from the Oppo BDP-105 from a Moon Audio Black Dragon to a middle range Morrow Audio... a very smooth and detailed IC. So, it all goes together to provide the best of sound from the 560's.

I am not having any problem with bass or treble dynamics. And the soundstage is fantastic... very wide. These are exceptional headphones, in my humble opinion.

Jul 17, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #5,502 of 21,179
  Are the 4K peaks really that noticeable in real listening situations? I ask as I have recently been doing some quality online hearing tests just to try and gauge how my hearing is, and the 4k frequency seems like it would be a rather subtle part of the sound. Maybe I am just out to lunch there.

There isn't really a 4k peak with the newer pads, but a moderately broad hump there, meaning there is more emphasis but nothing piercing. Around 4~6kHz is the "edginess" region, meaning how aggressive/soft the sound signature is (most current-production Grados have a sharp peak here, for instance). This is a bit different from ~2kHz region which determines the in-your-face-ness/laid-back-ness of the signature.

So HE560 is a tad laid-back but still fairly aggressive, esp. with the Focus pads. Hence someone's GF/wife a page or two ago described it as both "hot and cold".

Jul 17, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #5,503 of 21,179
  There isn't really a 4k peak with the newer pads, but a moderately broad hump there, meaning there is more emphasis but nothing piercing. Around 4~6kHz is the "edginess" region, meaning how aggressive/soft the sound signature is (most current-production Grados have a sharp peak here, for instance). This is a bit different from ~2kHz region which determines the in-your-face-ness/laid-back-ness of the signature.

So HE560 is a tad laid-back but still fairly aggressive, esp. with the Focus pads. Hence someone's GF/wife a page or two ago described it as both "hot and cold".

Jerg, have you tried the HE-560 with different pads? I would be very interested in your (or someone else) opinion... I thought FocusPads just sounded somewhat strange on the HE-4. It was a completely different experience from anything else I've heard before - strange fit, strange sound lacking in openness and transparency. Somewhat slightly grainy as well. All the other pads I've tried with the HE-4 sounded more common/normal... I cannot explain it objectively though =/

Jul 17, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #5,504 of 21,179

Yes and no. Mostly not though lowering 4 kHz in the EQ often makes for smoother female vocals for example

Jul 17, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #5,505 of 21,179
  The first 75 hours of breaking in the 560's go thru numerous changes, and then they start getting settled in over the next 75 hours. The first hours are up and down in sound quality. But, I can say with no uncertainty that the 560 after 150 or so hours is one of the best I've ever heard... or remembering those I've had. My Lyr 2 with the right tubes is driving them to sonic splendor. I'm still in the process of tube rolling with about 180 hours on my 560's.

The whole system from source to the 560's are very important. I had to change my IC from the Oppo BDP-105 from a Moon Audio Black Dragon to a middle range Morrow Audio... a very smooth and detailed IC. So, it all goes together to provide the best of sound from the 560's.

I am not having any problem with bass or treble dynamics. And the soundstage is fantastic... very wide. These are exceptional headphones, in my humble opinion.

Totally agree with the source/synergy thing. That doesn't mean that everything need be top of the line, technically capable and synergistic sound signatures probably matter more than simply dollars spent (although we need to be realistic and admit quite often cost and design are related, but not always). So far these seem quite exceptional as well and as time goes by I think I will notice that more and more. Seems so far that HFM hit one out of the park with the 560.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back