HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 11, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #20,071 of 20,386
It all depends on what you are looking for; usually, Silver will bring more brightness and details to headphones. Cooper will bring more bass and darker sounds.
I went with a copper silver-plated cable myself.

I do believe the original cable was silver if memory is good.
silver plate, microphonic and the ringing in the highs is more pronounced than with a basic O2 free copper cable.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #20,072 of 20,386
Good day! please tell me, will the nozzles from the dt770 be suitable for the 500? How will it sound?
The 500's have great timbre, don't really bang below 30 Hz. I feel that the mid bass is a bit slow however, and that helps rob a bit of impact from lower down. I cut that down to neutral (proper Q) with dynamat to deaden the reverb a bit. Most of the way to being the bass from the HE-6 SE. But no SE or 500 has OG HE-6 bass.

Properly tuned nozzles could be really good, but, more likely it will help some aspects and maybe decrease others. Give it a try.

Feb 18, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #20,073 of 20,386
Lately I cancelled my TIDAL due to a poorly planned change in cell and carrier led to much lesser sonic quality in my stream, so cancel. So no EQ now. I have to say my moddified HE-500 holds up better than my modded HE-6 SE v1 without EQ. I had some thoughts about selling my 500. That's off - plus most that do are sorry that they did. Keep the flame alive.

Feb 18, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #20,074 of 20,386
@bagwell359

Good decision. As you know, the 500 is really excellent and special - even if you own a 6SE. They are absolutely different enough to warrant owning both.

The other thing I have trouble wrapping my head around is how the used 6 skyrocketed in value to like $1600 or so while the used 500 still sells for are $400. I think that brings OG 6 to selling MORE than its original MSRP while the 500 is half its original MSRP. Massive difference - and that is even while we have an HE6SE which is supposed to be pretty close to the 6.

I understand the 6 again has its own unique qualities but weird to me still. All the more reason to hold that 500 and enjoy it.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #20,075 of 20,386
The headphone.com video broke he-6 prices

Feb 18, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #20,076 of 20,386
@bagwell359

Good decision. As you know, the 500 is really excellent and special - even if you own a 6SE. They are absolutely different enough to warrant owning both.

The other thing I have trouble wrapping my head around is how the used 6 skyrocketed in value to like $1600 or so while the used 500 still sells for are $400. I think that brings OG 6 to selling MORE than its original MSRP while the 500 is half its original MSRP. Massive difference - and that is even while we have an HE6SE which is supposed to be pretty close to the 6.

I understand the 6 again has its own unique qualities but weird to me still. All the more reason to hold that 500 and enjoy it.
Agreed. About a year ago some 6 screws were going for $900 (despite the ask), but they zoomed up since. The 4 screw never sagged that much, and the "Code" modified cans (4, 5, 6, and others) are like hens teeth, and the few being sold are also going up.

I've had a 6 screw in my possession for maybe 70 hrs, and its not very much like either SE. I find the SE's to be an easier listen, and better for lack of treble ringing and larger midrange soundstage, but in no way are they a match for the 6 screw in bass impact/slam. The 6 screw is a 12 out of 10, and the SE's are like 8.9 (after a bit of EQ) out of 10. The technical edge the 6 screw has over the SE is largely due to the excess treble, less subtle than the 007/009 Stax, which also adds its own twist to the sound.

As for the 500, also an easier listen than the 6 screw, with a midrange presence/stage that's unmatched by the 6 screw. But the 6 screw is more technical, has the bass slam/impact (the 500 has delicious bass timbre, but is a little slow due to higher Q) - IMO the 500's need dynamat to control the mid/upper bass resonances. Both are better with EQ, better pads, cables, no rear screen and very importantly - the fuzzor mod. The 500 doesn't fatigue once its had the fuzzor (the remaining ringing is less notable and seems focused on cymbal decay and sopranos), the 6 can and does - yes beyond what one can expect from bright recordings - unless you have it carefully EQ'd with audiophile colored equipment.

Never heard any of the "Code" modded cans, would sure like too, they are a legend in their own time.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #20,077 of 20,386
Still rotating my HE-500 and HE-6SE weekly and loving them both.............so fortunate I got a 500 with all the mods done and in excellent condition. Probably keeping them both for the long haul.............

Feb 19, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #20,079 of 20,386
@Oregonian

Hey buddy! I remember you back from 10 years ago!

Funny how we both ended up with the same mains here a decade later!

Great minds hear alike :)
Yessir................over 60 headphones owned/tested/auditioned and here we are. The HE-500 is so much better than I expected. The mids are the best I have experienced and that bass is just perfect. I was down on HFM for a while after my HE-6 driver failure a few years ago but trying the HE-6SE was worth the $500 or so by far. I had been looking passively for a HE-500 and voila, one popped up. So glad I got one.

Good to hear from ya bud!

Feb 19, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #20,080 of 20,386
There are a few of us with the 500/6SE V2 combo. That's really all you could need as far as I'm concerned. The 500 more for laid back and casual enjoyment - it's the headphone for that. They are so darn enjoyable for casual listening. The 6SE is reference, all the fidelity and detail you need. I'd be hard pressed if I had to keep just one although I do think I would choose the 500 as they are just so perfect for my tastes.

Amazing combo of headphones and you could get them both for the cost of one high end headphone if you go for something else.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #20,081 of 20,386
There are a few of us with the 500/6SE V2 combo. That's really all you could need as far as I'm concerned. The 500 more for laid back and casual enjoyment - it's the headphone for that. They are so darn enjoyable for casual listening. The 6SE is reference, all the fidelity and detail you need. I'd be hard pressed if I had to keep just one although I do think I would choose the 500 as they are just so perfect for my tastes.

Amazing combo of headphones and you could get them both for the cost of one high end headphone if you go for something else.
They are great - but greater after the mods and EQ. I do think the HD-600 run on an OTL amp offers another sound worth having at a fair price. Still, I think one more fancy can is in the cards.... when my skiff comes in....

Feb 20, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #20,082 of 20,386
I think I have bought, sold, and bought the HE500 at least 3 times! So pleased I have it now.

Any favorite after market cable you could recommend?

Thanks!

Feb 20, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #20,083 of 20,386
I think I have bought, sold, and bought the HE500 at least 3 times! So pleased I have it now.

Thanks!
Any O2 free cable of 20-24 ga well built (DIY if you are good). Retail: Very much like the look and quality of the very low resistance Custom Cans out of the UK. They have great support too as I mis-ordered a cord, and they altered it for free. I have a set for my HD-600 and HE-6 SE v1. For my 500 I have a 1st generation black dragon I got with my 5LE that has nice bass.

Almost anything is better than that rubbish OG cable - microphonic and emphasis on the treble ringing (cymbal harmonics). That was my first headphone cable that sounded wonky. I took off both ends, got new top quality ends, re-sodered with part silver solder and they sounded the same - bad. The cable that came with my HEX v2 and HE-6 SE (surgical tubing appearance) are also sub standard audibly which is really wild because I don't go in for audiophile interconnects or speaker cables or other headphone cables. Why oh why HFM?

Feb 21, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #20,084 of 20,386

Thanks!
I'm partial to Q French Silk cables mostly because of how supple it is..................have this cable on the HE-6SE, HE-500, LA7000 and Pioneer SE Master.

Feb 22, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #20,085 of 20,386
Just managed to pick up the Sundara 2022 edition for 180 euro's in mint condition, it's just a month old. The tuning here is excellent: great timbre, control, layering and ok extension. Comparing them to the HE-500 though makes this headphone seem a bit too lean. Don't get me wrong, they sound full enough it's just that double sided magnet planar's are really something else, including the HE-400. Their bass and body alongside the traditional planar layering create this holographic imaging that other headphones can't replicate. This Sundara would make for a great portable hifi planar as it's just so comfortable, well build, easy to drive (LG V40 or other LG Quad Dac phones will power these easily) and manages to sound good enough in comparison to the HE-500 that I am slotting this one in my collection for good. Wholeheartedly would recommend this headphone as it's just so balanced, though the HE-500 remains my main desktop headphone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back