HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Dec 27, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #10,246 of 20,374
  A glue gun cures many things, especially those pesky transformers with humming coils! 
biggrin.gif

That will not cure a defective power supply filter capacitor or shorted diode in a bridge rectifier.

Dec 27, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #10,247 of 20,374
Well, I just thought the idea of taking power from the wall and regenerate a fresh signal sounded quite neat vs some passive filters to reduce different problems and forms of noise.
I have no experience in this, though.

Nope

Dec 27, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #10,248 of 20,374
  Looking to try out the Balanced XLR output on my Yulong DA8 (and future headphoneamps) with my HE500s. Been looking into the Toxic silver widow or poison so I am going to request an adapter from Frank so that I can have the standard 1/4 input and an adapter that will allow me to use the 3 pin xlr. The only issue is that 4 pin xlr seems to be more standard nowadays.

If that means a common ground wire, I don't think that's a good idea if you want to drive them from an amp with balanced outputs as that requires four wires.

Dec 27, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #10,250 of 20,374
How about a powersupply with batteries inside that u can charge? And then use it as a sort of accu for the laptop while disconnected from the net.
wink.gif

Actually, rechargeable batteries aren't as clean as single use ones. In the stax thread,  we have been talking about daisy chaining 65 9 volt batteries for an amplifier and use that as a power supply. Som figured it'd probably last 10-15 yrs as I remember. Sounds pretty good to me, and not even that expensive 
wink.gif

Dec 27, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #10,251 of 20,374
  Actually, rechargeable batteries aren't as clean as single use ones. In the stax thread,  we have been talking about daisy chaining 65 9 volt batteries for an amplifier and use that as a power supply. Som figured it'd probably last 10-15 yrs as I remember. Sounds pretty good to me, and not even that expensive 
wink.gif

In a series circuit the first battery that fails causes the circuit to fail and you've also degraded the MTBF by having so many batteries. You will not be increasing the current either, I believe the weakest battery will be the weak link and determine the current. Good thing you guys don't design spacecraft. 
biggrin.gif
 or Pacemakers 
eek.gif

Dec 27, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #10,252 of 20,374
Much current isn't needed at all as the impedance of stats is very very high. Failures would pose a problem, though. Measuring 65 batteries once in a while would take a long time. But everything for clean power, right?

Dec 27, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #10,253 of 20,374
Much current isn't needed at all as the impedance of stats is very very high. Failures would pose a problem, though. Measuring 65 batteries once in a while would take a long time. But everything for clean power, right?

If you need battery power, there's such a thing as a DC to DC converter followed by proper filtering and voltage regulation. It is possible to design or purchase a regulated converter. At one point any improvement in power supply noise is strictly academic. If the switching frequency is much higher than audio then fitering it is easy and you won't hear it anyway.

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #10,254 of 20,374
Hi all,

I presently have HE-400s (balanced with Jergpad mod) running off of the Audio-GD NFB-10ES2 (mostly listening to techno and experimental electronic). I am planning on upgrading the HE-500s so I have a few questions.
One, is anyone listening to the HE-500w with the NFB-10ES2? I find the NFB-10ES2 to be a little too analytical but I'm not sure is it is the DAC, the amp, the HE-400s, or some combination of the three.
Two, what would the Emotiva Mini-X A-100 offer that the NFB-10ES2 amp doesn't?
Three, regarding the Mini-X A-100 with headphones, can someone recommend a cable maker for balanced speaker taps?
Lastly if I were to go the route of the Mini-X A-100 then maybe I should sell the NFB-10ES2 and buy a dedicated DAC. Can anyone recommend a DAC under $400 to run into the Mini-X A-100?

Thanks in advance!

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #10,255 of 20,374
  • If I remembered correctly, the audio gd DAC/amp I had a chance to listen to at a meet was indeed NFB-10ES2.  It definitely had enough power to drive the HE500.  I agree with you about the sound being somewhat cold.  Bass was controlled and deep but I wouldn't call it great punchy bass.
  • The Emotiva has a little more power (around 10 watts at HE500's rating)  This extra pwr might not be entirely needed for HE500 in comparison to NFB-10ES2.  You could run speakers if you want to later on.  IMO, the synergy between HE500 and Emotiva is great.
  • Any cable makers on head-fi could make you a balanced speaker taps.
  • I would try the DAC in your NFB-10ES2 feeding into the Emotiva first and see if you like the SQ.  For $400 or less DAC, I am not sure you would find something that much better to what you already have in the NFB-10ES2.

Gluck!

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #10,256 of 20,374
Hi all,

Three, regarding the Mini-X A-100 with headphones, can someone recommend a cable maker for balanced speaker taps?
Lastly if I were to go the route of the Mini-X A-100 then maybe I should sell the NFB-10ES2 and buy a dedicated DAC. Can anyone recommend a DAC under $400 to run into the Mini-X A-100?

Thanks in advance!

Contact Brian at BTG for the cables. IMO, you could get the Bifrost Uber for the DAC. Unsure whether it's below 400 USD though.

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #10,257 of 20,374
  Hi all,

I presently have HE-400s (balanced with Jergpad mod) running off of the Audio-GD NFB-10ES2 (mostly listening to techno and experimental electronic). I am planning on upgrading the HE-500s so I have a few questions.
One, is anyone listening to the HE-500w with the NFB-10ES2? I find the NFB-10ES2 to be a little too analytical but I'm not sure is it is the DAC, the amp, the HE-400s, or some combination of the three.
Two, what would the Emotiva Mini-X A-100 offer that the NFB-10ES2 amp doesn't?

Thanks in advance!

The MiniX has a shared ground so it's not balanced unless you plan on getting two and using them as monoblocks. It's cheaper just to get a connection to the TRS plug of the HE-500. You can get the cables needed from Amazon for around $20 if you don't want to make your own.

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #10,258 of 20,374
How about fixing the problem at the source?

Powersupply on my laptop is at the source :D as i use it as source..

Dec 28, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #10,260 of 20,374
I store my songs on a quite old external HD here and I notice no difference to my new internal SSD. Not a single noise. And everything is connected to a cheap APC surge protector.

You guys should focus more on the transducers rather than cables, regenerators and that kind of audio voodoo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back