HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Dec 27, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #10,216 of 20,374
Do you mean for in my Macbook Air, because that's not possible with the Macbook Air. Or do you mean external SSD harddrive?

Check this out:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/151934/external-ssd-for-macbook-air

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #10,217 of 20,374
  This is not easy, comparing the HE-500 to the HD600. The HD600 is more sensitive and easier to drive as long as your amp can deliver enough voltage for 300 Ohm cans. So when flipping the A/B switch I also have to twiddle the volume knob on the amp to get them as close as possible and that is not an exact process. What I can tell, so far is that the biggest difference is that the HE-500 has bit more sparkle in the treble which to me is a slight exaggeration but not enough to make silabance grating or to be fatiguing, The HD600 has a drop less extended bass and perhaps a touch of mid to upper bass hump. They sound very similar where the most obvious difference is the HE-500 treble sparkle (not preferred) and the HE-500 better bass extension and slightly better definition of bass notes (preferred). Both deliver nice impact to drums. The HD600 goes for $400 and the HE-500 goes for $700.
If I had to pick one, I'd get the HD600 due to the price difference. But I have both so I don't have to pick just one, hehehe. I prefer these two cans to either the Sennheiser HD650 or the HD700. I think the HD800's are even better, but not by a large margin and they do cost way more, typically $1500, ouch, that old story of diminshing returns.
So for tonight the A/B switch is taking a rest so that I can go back to enjoying listening to music. Time to flip a coin and pick the cans. Tomorrow I can go back to being analytical with different music and try my patience some more.

HD600s have a depression dip centered around 12kHz (extending between 8kHz and 15kHz), that's why their treble sounds like it is (lacking sparkle but still retains most of the definition due to mid-treble being 80% there).

HE500 (unmodded) has a treble peak flanked by dips, centered right at 9-10kHz, which is why it sticks out a bit like a sore thumb; it's a sonic annoyance that bothered me too back in the day before I started modding.

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #10,219 of 20,374
What would be the benefit? I mean I could only 128GB for the price of 2TB :wink:

Every moving part in ur rig gives noise..interference... But a good toshiba esternal 1TB( i am guessing thats more then enough for ur mp3/flac or wavs) would de fine also...i even found out plugging the harddisk in a dedicated external quality usb hub (with its own powerunit!, so not powered by the usb of the pc) the noise gets less...in my asus laptop when plugging the usb cable (from my dac) directly into the pc gave some kind of low hum..when connecting the usb cable into the usb hub (with its own powersupply) and then into the pc the hum disapeared..
But u know me..i am very extreme in these kind of things... :D

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #10,221 of 20,374
Dec 27, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #10,222 of 20,374
@hfmrookie, ever thought of getting a power regenerator?

Dec 27, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #10,223 of 20,374
@hfmrookie, ever thought of getting a power regenerator?

No need to..i have it covered with my new rig..i am also getting a Blue Circle PLC thingee FX 2 with 4 outlets to be connected in front of the amp's external powersupply..
The amp, the laptop and the usb hub will all be connected to the PLC Thingee. So i am well prepared :xf_eek:

And i am loking for a upgraded more audiophile powersupply for my asus laptop.as i understand the hum comes from the lowquality powersupply my laptop has.... Dont know if that exist... But am looking!

But thanks for the tip,

Dec 27, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #10,224 of 20,374
So I've been thinking about getting an aftermarket cable and there seems to be quite a number of choices. Right now, the one that I am leaning towards the most is Apuresound V3. Does anyone know which cables would be best for the HE500? I'm looking more into reduced microphonics over actual improvements in SQ though that would be an improved bonus.

Dec 27, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #10,225 of 20,374
  Hee guys I need help with choosing a external hard drive for my music and don't know what to get. Portable or desktop and which brand etc. If anybody can weigh in here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/697003/need-help-choosing-a-external-hard-drive-to-play-my-music-on-with-my-macbook-air

How much music do you have? I had an external drive for MBA, but it is a pain to carry around and I got annoyed with the USB cables etc. I got myself an Adata UE700 USB 128GB drive now to store my music on. Much faster than a mechanical drive and very compact and portable. 

Dec 27, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #10,226 of 20,374

How much music do you have? I had an external drive for MBA, but it is a pain to carry around and I got annoyed with the USB cables etc. I got myself an Adata UE700 USB 128GB drive now to store my music on. Much faster than a mechanical drive and very compact and portable. 

I have 70GB right now which is why 1TB or 2TB isn't an issue for me. 128GB would be a little small I think (will get full in few months). I actually won't be carrying my music with me since I only listen with my desktop rig anyways. 

Dec 27, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #10,227 of 20,374
  HD600s have a depression dip centered around 12kHz (extending between 8kHz and 15kHz), that's why their treble sounds like it is (lacking sparkle but still retains most of the definition due to mid-treble being 80% there).

HE500 (unmodded) has a treble peak flanked by dips, centered right at 9-10kHz, which is why it sticks out a bit like a sore thumb; it's a sonic annoyance that bothered me too back in the day before I started modding.

Yes, I'm aware of the differences in FR.
The HE-500 peak isn't severe enough to make me squint although as you say it is a "sonic annoyance." I like that term, I'll be using that in the future. 
wink.gif

The HD600 dip isn't enough to ruin the sound. For these two cans, I'll take either poison if not bad enough to make my ears revolt. Although I may seek to reduce that "sonic annoyance."

Dec 27, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #10,228 of 20,374
So I've been thinking about getting an aftermarket cable and there seems to be quite a number of choices. Right now, the one that I am leaning towards the most is Apuresound V3. Does anyone know which cables would be best for the HE500? I'm looking more into reduced microphonics over actual improvements in SQ though that would be an improved bonus.

Try toxic cables..i have very good experience with their cables.. Check out their appreciation thread for more info.

Dec 27, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #10,229 of 20,374
No need to..i have it covered with my new rig..i am also getting a Blue Circle PLC thingee FX 2 with 4 outlets to be connected in front of the amp's external powersupply..
The amp, the laptop and the usb hub will all be connected to the PLC Thingee. So i am well prepared
redface.gif

And i am loking for a upgraded more audiophile powersupply for my asus laptop.as i understand the hum comes from the lowquality powersupply my laptop has.... Dont know if that exist... But am looking!

But thanks for the tip,

Persoanlly, I hate the idea behind power conditioners and it seems many have negative impressions towards them. A power regenerator seems much more clean to me as it actually makes its own perfect sine wave from dc power instead of using filtering technology like the power conditioners do. Not that I have personal experience.

Dec 27, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #10,230 of 20,374
  Persoanlly, I hate the idea behind power conditioners and it seems many have negative impressions towards them. A power regenerator seems much more clean to me as it actually makes its own perfect sine wave from dc power instead of using filtering technology like the power conditioners do. Not that I have personal experience.

If one is not experiencing power drop outs, line noise or EMI coming in from the power line the one does not need such a device. This will not improve your SQ, it will only increase the distance between ones wallet and some of its former contents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back