HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Dec 26, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #10,186 of 20,386
How does the emotive compare to the lyr since the lyr has all the headroom you can need

Do you need to amp headroom above 120 dB (Threshold of Pain) if your S/N ratio is only 115 dB? What is the Dynamic Range available in your source material and player? How compressed are the recordings that you listen to? When does this become an excercise in fiddling with numbers that gets one nowhere useful?

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #10,187 of 20,386
How does the emotive compare to the lyr since the lyr has all the headroom you can need

I've not heard the Lyr personally, but others have stated the Emotiva brings out something more. Likely due to the larger caps and transformers, rather just just power alone.
  Do you need to amp headroom above 120 dB (Threshold of Pain) if your S/N ratio is only 115 dB? What is the Dynamic Range available in your source material and player? How compressed are the recordings that you listen to? When does this become an excercise in fiddling with numbers that gets one nowhere useful?

Agreed. Both will get you the noise level you need. However, similar to why transistors being technically superior to tubes, yet tubes have not died out and many audiophile prefer tubes, the Emotiva does something special to the sound. It's one of those thing you just have to try it out before making any judgement. Numbers don't tell the whole story, unless like mentioned earlier, it's not power alone but has to do with cap and transformer sizes, in which case, yes they are quantitatively larger, and hence gives a better sound.

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #10,188 of 20,386
  I've not heard the Lyr personally, but others have stated the Emotiva brings out something more. Likely due to the larger caps and transformers, rather just just power alone.
Agreed. Both will get you the noise level you need. However, similar to why transistors being technically superior to tubes, yet tubes have not died out and many audiophile prefer tubes, the Emotiva does something special to the sound. It's one of those thing you just have to try it out before making any judgement. Numbers don't tell the whole story, unless like mentioned earlier, it's not power alone but has to do with cap and transformer sizes, in which case, yes they are quantitatively larger, and hence gives a better sound.

+1

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #10,189 of 20,386

The Lyr has an SNR of > 92 dB which is nothing to write home about, their other products do better. When you speak of larger caps and transformers, do you mean output transformers, coupling capacitors for output or these are power supply components? Larger does not necessarily mean better.
As far as Emotiva, their amps are really for speakers and their SNR' at headphone power levels are not so great. Which models are your speaking of? When it comes to headphone audio there is so much myth floating around and repackaged stories as in many cases it's a hobby gone out of control. Unfortunately too many people sing silly stories that cause others needless expense, IMO money better spent on their cans which will yeild a real improvement in listening pleasure. IMO, there's more magic in the electro mechanical/acoustic design in cans than in amps which are subject to the more tangible engineering of circuits.

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #10,190 of 20,386
I agree with you StanD. However I'm tweaking my rig to be as good as possible. I'm in awe with my Hifiman HE-500, Schiit Lyr and Bifrost rig. Won't change it because I don't have the money to make it sound that much better. However I'm getting some fancy cables from Forza just because I like the aesthetics and if it gives me SQ improvement, all the better :wink: Also gives me a piece of mind. This hobby will always raise the "WHAT IF" question, which sucks. But oh well 
wink.gif

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #10,191 of 20,386
Hehe, If I'd want 120 dB max volume with my speakers, they'd need a 1000 watts.

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #10,192 of 20,386
  I agree with you StanD. However I'm tweaking my rig to be as good as possible. I'm in awe with my Hifiman HE-500, Schiit Lyr and Bifrost rig. Won't change it because I don't have the money to make it sound that much better. However I'm getting some fancy cables from Forza just because I like the aesthetics and if it gives me SQ improvement, all the better :wink: Also gives me a piece of mind. This hobby will always raise the "WHAT IF" question, which sucks. But oh well 
wink.gif

I happen to like Schiit stuff. They take a difficult to accomplish design path and get very good results without picking your pockets. I happen to dislike when people that are talking out of their hats advise other innocents to waste gobs of money with nothing tangible in return. Your setup is pretty darned good.
I'm hooking up my HE-500's and HD600's to a switch so I can do some fast A/B comparisons without having to spend time switching cables. From the last few days of listening, I suspect that the HE-500's will win the bottom end and the HD600's will win in the treble department. In any case both are going to remain in my camp and I will do an honest comparison. I still have the leather pads on my HD-500's and can wear these cans for hours without any comfort problems. Yes the HD600's are lighter and more comfortable but there's nothing about the HE-500's that scream take me off of off your head, not even after hours transpire.

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #10,193 of 20,386
  Hehe, If I'd want 120 dB max volume with my speakers, they'd need a 1000 watts.

And you'd need to call your lawyer from the police department. At over 140 dB you won't need to listen to music anymore so please be careful 
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #10,194 of 20,386
All I'm saying is there's only so much stock in one's words if they haven't actually tried it out themselves. I don't see many headphone reviews from people who only seen the graphs, but never laid hands on the headphone. Would you trust such a review?

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #10,195 of 20,386
  All I'm saying is there's only so much stock in one's words if they haven't actually tried it out themselves. I don't see many headphone reviews from people who only seen the graphs, but never laid hands on the headphone. Would you trust such a review?

WHen it comes to headphone reviews, I'm starting to think some people are tone deaf as either there are contrary opinions or a choir of parrots offering advice. An example is the Sennheiser HD600 vs, HD650 debate. I went to purchase the HD650's but decided to wait till the HD600's came into stock. I A/B'd them at J&R for 45 minutes using my own music and gear, I ended up leaving with the HD600's and $100 in my pocket. You know howwe always want the latest and greatest, however, I decided to listen to my ears. Based upon memory, which has a subjective ring to it, I'd probably pick the HE-500's over the HD650's for the same reason, the HD650's raised the bass and lowered the treble, not my kind of trendline for an FR curve. I like lots off bass, but not at the expense of the rest. When it comes to bass the HD600's might benefit from some EQ help, the HE-500's don't need much help in that department,

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #10,196 of 20,386
  WHen it comes to headphone reviews, I'm starting to think some people are tone deaf as either there are contrary opinions or a choir of parrots offering advice. An example is the Sennheiser HD600 vs, HD650 debate. I went to purchase the HD650's but decided to wait till the HD600's came into stock. I A/B'd them at J&R for 45 minutes using my own music and gear, I ended up leaving with the HD600's and $100 in my pocket. You know howwe always want the latest and greatest, however, I decided to listen to my ears. Based upon memory, which has a subjective ring to it, I'd probably pick the HE-500's over the HD650's for the same reason, the HD650's raised the bass and lowered the treble, not my kind of trendline for an FR curve. I like lots off bass, but not at the expense of the rest. When it comes to bass the HD600's might benefit from some EQ help, the HE-500's don't need much help in that department,

Actually many people find the HD600 to be better because it's more neutral and the HD650's elevated bass isn't the tightest or most textured. I have a friend that believes the same thing and chose the HD600 over the HD650. I've not gotten the chance to compare the two, but my experience with what others say between the two, I have to say more people prefer the HD600 to the HD650.

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #10,197 of 20,386
Can someone link me to where I can purchase an adapter for the hifiman to mini xlr so I could use an audexe cable? I tried searching the forums but couldn't find any where. I don't really want to send my headphones in to get them modified, just want a cheap adapter.

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #10,198 of 20,386

Actually many people find the HD600 to be better because it's more neutral and the HD650's elevated bass isn't the tightest or most textured. I have a friend that believes the same thing and chose the HD600 over the HD650. I've not gotten the chance to compare the two, but my experience with what others say between the two, I have to say more people prefer the HD600 to the HD650.

Yes it's the neutrality and clarity of the HD600's that won my ears over. You can EQ up the bass and not suffer. I think Sennheiser dropped the ball on the HD650 successor to the HD600. Funny thing is that they swung the other end on the HD700's and IMO pushed up the treble to fatigue inducing levels. I found that the HD800's were really on the mark, but weren't so incredibly better than the HD600's, even with their overpriced amp. Even so my eyes were watering when I took the HD800's off my head. Even at the on sale price, to me the HD700's were a nonstarter. So in my quest for more and better bass, the HE-500's have Amazon'd to my home. I have a strong feeling that they're staying.

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #10,199 of 20,386
Can someone link me to where I can purchase an adapter for the hifiman to mini xlr so I could use an audexe cable? I tried searching the forums but couldn't find any where. I don't really want to send my headphones in to get them modified, just want a cheap adapter.

If you're looking for a balanced termination, you cannot adapt the standard 1/4 inch Single Ended Hifiman cable. That would require wire cutters and a soldering iron. Is there a reason why you're looking for a balanced termination?

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #10,200 of 20,386
Perhaps he meant he wants to use and Audeze cable and connect it to the Hifiman cans at the cups

Users who are viewing this thread

Back