HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Dec 23, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #10,081 of 20,386
^ Gratzzzzzzzz. 
beerchug.gif

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #10,082 of 20,386
  ^ Gratzzzzzzzz. 
beerchug.gif

I can see that storage will be a problem. I don't think they're going to sit in the storage box with the cables on and I'm not going to be messing with them on and off. The cloth bag doesn't make all the way around well enough with the cables either. They don't fit in the huge Slappa case that I can fit my HD600's in. But I do have an extra DSLR camera bag that they should be able to fit in. Problem solved. Damn these cans sound good.

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #10,083 of 20,386
  I can see that storage will be a problem. I don't think they're going to sit in the storage box with the cables on and I'm not going to be messing with them on and off. The cloth bag doesn't make all the way around well enough with the cables either. They don't fit in the huge Slappa case that I can fit my HD600's in. But I do have an extra DSLR camera bag that they should be able to fit in. Problem solved. Damn these cans sound good.

Enjoy them first.  You can try the simple grill cloth removal mod later to open them a bit more even.  I did mine after 3 weeks of ownership and would never go back to stock.  Jergpad mod will also bring up SQ a notch.  I personally testify that one.
tongue.gif

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #10,084 of 20,386
Hello -,

I am researching to buy a high-end headphone and HE 500 comes as recommendation more than often. When I looked at the spec it seems to be around 500 grams, is that correct or there is a mistake somewhere? If it is really 500 grams, doesn't it cause any discomfort to wear it for a long listening sessions?

Thanks.

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #10,085 of 20,386
  Hello -,

I am researching to buy a high-end headphone and HE 500 comes as recommendation more than often. When I looked at the spec it seems to be around 500 grams, is that correct or there is a mistake somewhere? If it is really 500 grams, doesn't it cause any discomfort to wear it for a long listening sessions?

Thanks.

The weight of the HE500 is indeed a concern for some people who are looking into acquiring this HP.  When I first got mine, I felt that  it was quite heavy and uncomfortable compared to my other HPs.  It took me couple weeks to adjust physically and mentally.  Now, I don't have a problem whatsoever.  HE500 won't be as comfortable as HD800 or the Beyers for sure but IMO, these physical specs should not be the deal breaking factors;  at least, for me, they weren't.

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #10,086 of 20,386
  Hello -,

Thanks.

Nope, they're more, 502 grams, excuse my humor. Mine just arrived and I'm used to an HD600 which is known to be very comfortable. So far I see no issues with comfort with the HE-500's. They sound very good and everyone around you will get to know your musical tastes as they leak bigtime. Anyway, I prefer listening in a quiet room when using open cans, so not a big deal for me.

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #10,087 of 20,386
  Hello -,

Thanks.

I find it very comfortable. Just train your neck. 
wink.gif

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #10,088 of 20,386
It will be noticeable at first. Then you'll develop stronger neck muscles to compensate. It's my daily workout in place of the gym.

Dec 23, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #10,090 of 20,386
  I find it very comfortable. Just train your neck. 
wink.gif

Even though you probably were joking, I actually train my neck while listening to the HE500 by slowly rocking my head back and forth, then side to side.
I call this resistance training.  
tongue.gif

Dec 23, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #10,091 of 20,386

Even though you probably were joking, I actually train my neck while listening to the HE500 by slowly rocking my head back and forth, then side to side.
I call this resistance training.  
tongue.gif

I call it getting a groove into the music. 
L3000.gif

Dec 23, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #10,093 of 20,386
Does anybody here have the Mr Speakers Mad Dogs and how do they compare. I'm in need for a closed can..

The HE500s are on a different level to the mad dogs. Orthos are generally darker and the Mad Dogs are even darker than the HE500s. In comparison the highs of HE500s are further extended without being harsh, the mids are similar but slightly smoother and the bass slams harder and extends a lot further too. The mad dogs sound quite open for a closed can but are nowhere wide and open as the HE500s. I still use my mad dogs on rotation as it's still quite a good headphone plus it's closed so I can use it in the office, the streets and when I'm lying in bed next to my Mrs. The mad dogs are also miles more comfortable than the HE500s

Dec 23, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #10,094 of 20,386
The HE500s are on a different level to the mad dogs. Orthos are generally darker and the Mad Dogs are even darker than the HE500s. In comparison the highs of HE500s are further extended without being harsh, the mids are similar but slightly smoother and the bass slams harder and extends a lot further too. The mad dogs sound quite open for a closed can but are nowhere wide and open as the HE500s. I still use my mad dogs on rotation as it's still quite a good headphone plus it's closed so I can use it in the office, the streets and when I'm lying in bed next to my Mrs. The mad dogs are also miles more comfortable than the HE500s

Thanks! I would pretty much just use them so I don't annoy people late at night. HE-500 are like putting speakers on 
rolleyes.gif

Now I just hope somebody here sells me their Mad Dogs 
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #10,095 of 20,386
He-500 weighs 502 g without earpads and cord. The earpads weigh 40 g. So all in all they'll weigh around 550g.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back