HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Dec 23, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #10,066 of 20,386
Yes please I'd like to know the difference between the silver and the copper cable :)

As said couple of times here..its not silver..its silverplated copper.. :xf_eek:

Dec 23, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #10,067 of 20,386
Ran out of analogue interconnects after I got a turntable for Christmas so got myself a couple of silver plated copper Wireworld interconnects between the DAC and Mini-X and must say they give superb detail and timing and are very well priced considering the performance. Makes my other van den Hul "The name" and Audioquest G-snake cables sound severely overpriced in comparison, the VDH "The Name" ICs especially so since they are solid core cables. Not quite as warm and open sounding as the Tributaries Series 9, but those cost nearly four times as much, but these are doing duty on the turntable. I had some (highly What Hifi rated) silver cables on my Hi-fi speakers and hated them for their thin sound and lack of bass.

Still reluctant to part with my HE-500 cable as I received the copper HE-6 cable with mine which I reckon sounds rather good and it has zero microphonics. I do have some discolouration in the cable so might consider a change next year and that one definitely be a silver plated copper cable.

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #10,068 of 20,386

You must be confusing me with Peter Parker. 
THe below scene is a marketing training session for custom silver cables.

naww guys, he got bitten by a giant mutant radioactive ear!! ...that's the only way you get superhearing. duhh!!!

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #10,069 of 20,386
As said couple of times here..its not silver..its silverplated copper.. :xf_eek:

Ah I see, so it is the same with the current newly shipped SPC stock cable.

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #10,070 of 20,386
  naww guys, he got bitten by a giant mutant radioactive ear!! ...that's the only way you get superhearing. duhh!!!

Yep, he also had a silver plated custom cable and spun silver webs. Anyone see a Goose that lays golden eggs? Where is it?

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #10,071 of 20,386
Let's get back ontopic guys. Some believe in high end cables and some don't. As long as you're happy with your purchase. 
wink.gif

Have you received your HE-500 yet, StanD?

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #10,072 of 20,386
  Let's get back ontopic guys. Some believe in high end cables and some don't. As long as you're happy with your purchase. 
wink.gif

Have you received your HE-500 yet, StanD?

I just checked FedEx tracking, hurray, it's on the truck out for delivery. I can't wait to get my ears on this bad boy. Though I may have to wait till 8 PM. I'll be comparing them to my HD600's. I expect to be living happily in the two worlds of Planar Mags and Dynamics.

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #10,074 of 20,386
  I just checked FedEx tracking, hurray, it's on the truck out for delivery. I can't wait to get my ears on this bad boy. Though I may have to wait till 8 PM. I'll be comparing them to my HD600's. I expect to be living happily in the two worlds of Planar Mags and Dynamics.

Once you go planar...
biggrin.gif

I've heard that before 
biggrin.gif
 Have you ever covered your ears with an HD600?

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #10,076 of 20,386
  No just with Beyerdynamic DT770, Ultrasone Pro 900, ATH AD2000, ATH W1000x, HD650 and HE-400. HE-500 is by far the best imo. You might feel the same in a few hours :wink: 

I don't mind being happier than ever, that's a good thing. When it came down to getting my HD600's, I was planning on getting the HD650's. After carefully A/Bing the two I decided that the HD600's had better treble and the drums/percussion had better impact so I left with the HD600's and $100 in my pocket (or not on plastic).

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #10,077 of 20,386

I bought my HD600s after I got my HE500s. They're a totally different sound and I quite enjoy both for different reasons. The HD600 sounds more natural and less smoothed over the the HE500s. In comparison the HE500s can be more fatiguing than the HD600s. There's definitely a bigger wow factor with the HE500 but now that I have the HD600s I don't think I ever get rid of them. They ll be on my rotation until they breakdown

Dec 23, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #10,080 of 20,386
OK, the doorbell rang, Within minutes the HE-500's found their way to my head. My first impressions are very good. although I haven't spent much time with them I can say after a few minutes the following:
1) The bass is damn good.
2) Drum and percussion impact is damn good.
3) As I read, the cable microphonics suck, but most of it seems to occur when the when the individual wires after the Y split clank into each other. That might be addressable without getting as new cable or making one.
4) They leak like crazy, much more than my HD600's. But I expected that considering that they are open back mag planers. I have no problem with that.
5) They're not as heavy as some of the complaints that I've read and I don't feel that comfort will be an issue. I have the leather pads on, didn't switch yet. Some say that the velours or jergpads makes for a better sound, so bring it on as they sound pretty nice out of the box.
6) The treble is a bit more than neutral but nothing scary, not like a Sennheiser HD700.
7) Mids are nice.
8) The soundstage is plenty good, OK not the HD800's but plenty good.
9) At this moment I'm listening to Weather Report, "125th Street Congress" and I'm having a blast.
10) Man these are easy to amp. I like to listen on the go. So I'm playing through a Samsung Galaxy S3 into a FiiO E18 Dac/Amp and then into a FiiO E12 Amp.
The E12 can go very loud with a full sound, great bass and everything. This combo can get deaf dog loud.
I move the plug into the E18 and I can turn the volume all the way up on high gain and it's not loud, I can tell there's not enough headroom there, I was expecting a bit better, but I'm not surprised.
I move the plug to the cellphone and "fawget about it." Not loud enough for anything and the sound declined. I wasn't expecting anything at all here.

My only negative observation is that there's a little peak somewhere in the treble that causes a bit of shimmer but cymbals still sound great, the metallic clink is there and sounds right. I can hear a little bit of silabance in some female vocals or Jon Anderson (Yes) but it's not annoying as these select recordings I checked with are prone to that, which is why I checked them right away.

I'm off from work until Jan. 2nd and am going to have a good time listening to these. I think that I'll be chalking these up to the win column. Gee, I just got an email saying they've been delivered, haha. Now onto some serious listening and comparing.
Listening to these makes me wonder what madness compels people to buy Beats? The bass on these is light years better without destroying the mids or faking treble with that nasty excessive V shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back